Re: Documentation regarding these functions

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 8, 2005
      GetForegroundWindow will tell you if a given window is in the
      foreground... To determine which child window of a parent has the
      input focus, you can use GetFocus($parent) from Win32::GuiTest...
      To do the same thing correctly with Win32::API would require two
      calls to AttachWin per MSDN.

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "wenjie wang"
      <wiseagent2000@y...> wrote:

      > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis K. Paulsen"
      > <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > > If documentation is not found in the README, most certainly
      you'll
      > > find them documentated at http://msdn.microsoft.com :-)
      > >

      > That's what I thought till I encountered a compile error with
      > function GetFocus();
      >
      > Win32 API has the signature of
      > HWND GetFocus(void);
      > while win32::guitest is expecting:
      > HWND GetFocus(HWND);
      >
      > Now, my question is that how to obtain the window handle of
      > currently focused window?
      >
      > Regards,
      > W Wang
      > +-Wenjie Wang a.k.a William -------------------------------------+
      > | WANG Infonology Systems |EMail : wwang@b... |
      > | Phone : (02) 9871 2018 | WISeAgent2000@y... |
      > | Mobile: 0412 688 380 |http://users.bigpond.net.au/WISeAgent |
      > +-------------------------+--------------------------------------+
    • Sam Sudhakar
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 9, 2005
        Hi Dennis,

        I have used both perl and VBScript/COM...for testing .
        And I personally believe that for windows GUI testing there is nothing better than VBScript/COM...U just have to write a custom component using Visual Basic which can give access to all the GUI Win32API's and there u go u can use this in ur VBScript code to give absolute control over all the windows and user interaction to those windows....and the whole thing is pretty simple...the only thing u gotta do is some research on the different win32 APIs...
        When I used perl Win32 i faced a lot of timing issues plus ofcourse I had to patch the win32 module as it didnt work with perl 5.8 and cygwin.
        By the way does anybody know if that problem is fixed yet ...

        Susruth

        <wiseagent2000@y...> wrote:

        > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis K. Paulsen"
        > <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > > If documentation is not found in the README, most certainly
        you'll
        > > find them documentated at http://msdn.microsoft.com :-)
        > >

        > That's what I thought till I encountered a compile error with
        > function GetFocus();
        >
        > Win32 API has the signature of
        > HWND GetFocus(void);
        > while win32::guitest is expecting:
        > HWND GetFocus(HWND);
        >
        > Now, my question is that how to obtain the window handle of
        > currently focused window?
        >
        > Regards,
        > W Wang
        > +-Wenjie Wang a.k.a William -------------------------------------+
        > | WANG Infonology Systems |EMail : wwang@b... |
        > | Phone : (02) 9871 2018 | WISeAgent2000@y... |
        > | Mobile: 0412 688 380 |http://users.bigpond.net.au/WISeAgent |
        > +-------------------------+--------------------------------------+

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Susruth Sudhakaran

        You are not responsible for what happens to you in life but you are definitely responsible for how you respond to it
        -------Some great Man(Not Me)

      • Wenjie Wang
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 9, 2005
          Thanks for the info and that also confirmed my guess;) I was planing to try it out on a known application to confirm it.

          <wiseagent2000@y...> wrote:

          > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis K. Paulsen"
          > <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > > If documentation is not found in the README, most certainly
          you'll
          > > find them documentated at http://msdn.microsoft.com :-)
          > >

          > That's what I thought till I encountered a compile error with
          > function GetFocus();
          >
          > Win32 API has the signature of
          > HWND GetFocus(void);
          > while win32::guitest is expecting:
          > HWND GetFocus(HWND);
          >
          > Now, my question is that how to obtain the window handle of
          > currently focused window?
          >
          > Regards,
          > W Wang
          > +-Wenjie Wang a.k.a William -------------------------------------+
          > | WANG Infonology Systems |EMail : wwang@b... |
          > | Phone : (02) 9871 2018 | WISeAgent2000@y... |
          > | Mobile: 0412 688 380 |http://users.bigpond.net.au/WISeAgent |
          > +-------------------------+--------------------------------------+

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Wenjie Wang(a.k.a. William) wwang@...
          WANG Infonology Systems Ph: (02)-98712018 Mobile: 0412688380
          http://users.bigpond.net.au/WISeAgent http://www.websamba.com/wiseagent
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 9, 2005
            Hi Sam,
            The main reason I am interested in Win32::GuitTest is not that
            Win32::GuiTest is fully featured, stable and fast piece of software.
            First of all, it is not fully featured. It is stable (big reason to
            use it) and not that slow (what kind of timing issues did you have?).
            I am using Win32::GuiTest because:

            * It is written in perl. Perl is a mature well known language with a
            big community around it and tremendous, still growing set of
            extensions. I am assuming that so is VBScript. But I am using perl
            for a long time (because it has a characteristic which is exotic in
            M$ world - it is trully multiplatform) so for me it is easier to
            adopt one not-that-final extension than to learn a new language.
            Also, perl supports unix phylosophy of building solutions from
            smaller (mostly text oriented) blocks.

            * It is open source, which as for me has serious implications. I have
            written an article on why do I prefer open source tools -
            http://www.piotrkaluski.com/writings/OS_bias.html.
            In short - when I go into perl I do not risk that I wake up one day
            and find out that the licensing scheme has changed "to better respond
            to customers' needs" so I have to pay 10 times more for the license
            and necessary upgrades.
            And I also believe that Open Source model is more likely to deliver
            stable, robust code than closed source teams.
            Currently VBScript may be superior to Win32::GuiTest in the domain of
            manipulating windows controls. But Win32::GuiTest is a young module.
            Every piece of software needs some time to become mature. It may
            always be a little bit behind VB in handling newest controls, but I
            think perl Win32 modules provide enough mechanisms to work around
            most of problems.

            -Piotr

            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, Sam Sudhakar <sush_1205@y...>

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 26, 2005
              Hi,
              I have a question.
              When you automate tests of OLE enabled applications then you can do
              it using Win32::OLE.
              And what do you do when you want to automate testing applications,
              which are not OLE servers but host some Activex controls (ocx).
              How can they be handled by Perl (apart from FindWindowLike and
              SendKeys)? How can you deal with such controls using Visual Basic?

              wrote:

              > Hi Dennis,
              >
              > I have used both perl and VBScript/COM...for testing .
              > And I personally believe that for windows GUI testing there is
              nothing better than VBScript/COM...U just have to write a custom
              component using Visual Basic which can give access to all the GUI
              Win32API's and there u go u can use this in ur VBScript code to give
              absolute control over all the windows and user interaction to those
              windows....and the whole thing is pretty simple...the only thing u
              gotta do is some research on the different win32 APIs...
              > When I used perl Win32 i faced a lot of timing issues plus ofcourse
              I had to patch the win32 module as it didnt work with perl 5.8 and
              cygwin.
              > By the way does anybody know if that problem is fixed yet ...

            • Steven Swenson
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
                Kind of a follow on question...

                I tried win32::gui::AxWindow ... but it seems to try
                to open internet explorer regardless of the program
                app and/or clsid used to create the activex control.

                Anyone else have this problem or a solution to it?

                --Steven

                wrote:

                > Hi Dennis,
                >
                > I have used both perl and VBScript/COM...for testing
                .
                > And I personally believe that for windows GUI
                testing there is
                nothing better than VBScript/COM...U just have to
                write a custom
                component using Visual Basic which can give access to
                all the GUI
                Win32API's and there u go u can use this in ur
                VBScript code to give
                absolute control over all the windows and user
                interaction to those
                windows....and the whole thing is pretty simple...the
                only thing u
                gotta do is some research on the different win32
                APIs...
                > When I used perl Win32 i faced a lot of timing
                issues plus ofcourse
                I had to patch the win32 module as it didnt work with
                perl 5.8 and
                cygwin.
                > By the way does anybody know if that problem is
                fixed yet ...

                Terms of Service.