Re: Documentation regarding these functions

  • Paul Smith
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 7, 2005
      A similar question was answered in this question
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perlguitest/message/664

      Except the latest GuiTest.om file the line number to change is more
      like 254. Just search for EXPORT_OK or export to find the lines.

      This tip works as I was stuck on a similar problem. It should
      probably be put in the documentation.

      -paul

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "wenjie wang"

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 8, 2005
        GetForegroundWindow will tell you if a given window is in the
        foreground... To determine which child window of a parent has the
        input focus, you can use GetFocus($parent) from Win32::GuiTest...
        To do the same thing correctly with Win32::API would require two
        calls to AttachWin per MSDN.

        <wiseagent2000@y...> wrote:

        > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis K. Paulsen"
        > <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > > If documentation is not found in the README, most certainly
        you'll
        > > find them documentated at http://msdn.microsoft.com :-)
        > >

        > That's what I thought till I encountered a compile error with
        > function GetFocus();
        >
        > Win32 API has the signature of
        > HWND GetFocus(void);
        > while win32::guitest is expecting:
        > HWND GetFocus(HWND);
        >
        > Now, my question is that how to obtain the window handle of
        > currently focused window?
        >
        > Regards,
        > W Wang
        > +-Wenjie Wang a.k.a William -------------------------------------+
        > | WANG Infonology Systems |EMail : wwang@b... |
        > | Phone : (02) 9871 2018 | WISeAgent2000@y... |
        > | Mobile: 0412 688 380 |http://users.bigpond.net.au/WISeAgent |
        > +-------------------------+--------------------------------------+
      • Sam Sudhakar
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 9, 2005
          Hi Dennis,

          I have used both perl and VBScript/COM...for testing .
          And I personally believe that for windows GUI testing there is nothing better than VBScript/COM...U just have to write a custom component using Visual Basic which can give access to all the GUI Win32API's and there u go u can use this in ur VBScript code to give absolute control over all the windows and user interaction to those windows....and the whole thing is pretty simple...the only thing u gotta do is some research on the different win32 APIs...
          When I used perl Win32 i faced a lot of timing issues plus ofcourse I had to patch the win32 module as it didnt work with perl 5.8 and cygwin.
          By the way does anybody know if that problem is fixed yet ...

          Susruth

          <wiseagent2000@y...> wrote:

          > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis K. Paulsen"
          > <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > > If documentation is not found in the README, most certainly
          you'll
          > > find them documentated at http://msdn.microsoft.com :-)
          > >

          > That's what I thought till I encountered a compile error with
          > function GetFocus();
          >
          > Win32 API has the signature of
          > HWND GetFocus(void);
          > while win32::guitest is expecting:
          > HWND GetFocus(HWND);
          >
          > Now, my question is that how to obtain the window handle of
          > currently focused window?
          >
          > Regards,
          > W Wang
          > +-Wenjie Wang a.k.a William -------------------------------------+
          > | WANG Infonology Systems |EMail : wwang@b... |
          > | Phone : (02) 9871 2018 | WISeAgent2000@y... |
          > | Mobile: 0412 688 380 |http://users.bigpond.net.au/WISeAgent |
          > +-------------------------+--------------------------------------+

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Susruth Sudhakaran

          You are not responsible for what happens to you in life but you are definitely responsible for how you respond to it
          -------Some great Man(Not Me)

        • Wenjie Wang
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 9, 2005
            Thanks for the info and that also confirmed my guess;) I was planing to try it out on a known application to confirm it.

            <wiseagent2000@y...> wrote:

            > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis K. Paulsen"
            > <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello,
            > > If documentation is not found in the README, most certainly
            you'll
            > > find them documentated at http://msdn.microsoft.com :-)
            > >

            > That's what I thought till I encountered a compile error with
            > function GetFocus();
            >
            > Win32 API has the signature of
            > HWND GetFocus(void);
            > while win32::guitest is expecting:
            > HWND GetFocus(HWND);
            >
            > Now, my question is that how to obtain the window handle of
            > currently focused window?
            >
            > Regards,
            > W Wang
            > +-Wenjie Wang a.k.a William -------------------------------------+
            > | WANG Infonology Systems |EMail : wwang@b... |
            > | Phone : (02) 9871 2018 | WISeAgent2000@y... |
            > | Mobile: 0412 688 380 |http://users.bigpond.net.au/WISeAgent |
            > +-------------------------+--------------------------------------+

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Wenjie Wang(a.k.a. William) wwang@...
            WANG Infonology Systems Ph: (02)-98712018 Mobile: 0412688380
            http://users.bigpond.net.au/WISeAgent http://www.websamba.com/wiseagent
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 9, 2005
              Hi Sam,
              The main reason I am interested in Win32::GuitTest is not that
              Win32::GuiTest is fully featured, stable and fast piece of software.
              First of all, it is not fully featured. It is stable (big reason to
              use it) and not that slow (what kind of timing issues did you have?).
              I am using Win32::GuiTest because:

              * It is written in perl. Perl is a mature well known language with a
              big community around it and tremendous, still growing set of
              extensions. I am assuming that so is VBScript. But I am using perl
              for a long time (because it has a characteristic which is exotic in
              M$ world - it is trully multiplatform) so for me it is easier to
              adopt one not-that-final extension than to learn a new language.
              Also, perl supports unix phylosophy of building solutions from
              smaller (mostly text oriented) blocks.

              * It is open source, which as for me has serious implications. I have
              written an article on why do I prefer open source tools -
              http://www.piotrkaluski.com/writings/OS_bias.html.
              In short - when I go into perl I do not risk that I wake up one day
              and find out that the licensing scheme has changed "to better respond
              to customers' needs" so I have to pay 10 times more for the license
              and necessary upgrades.
              And I also believe that Open Source model is more likely to deliver
              stable, robust code than closed source teams.
              Currently VBScript may be superior to Win32::GuiTest in the domain of
              manipulating windows controls. But Win32::GuiTest is a young module.
              Every piece of software needs some time to become mature. It may
              always be a little bit behind VB in handling newest controls, but I
              think perl Win32 modules provide enough mechanisms to work around
              most of problems.

              -Piotr

              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, Sam Sudhakar <sush_1205@y...>

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 26, 2005
                Hi,
                I have a question.
                When you automate tests of OLE enabled applications then you can do
                it using Win32::OLE.
                And what do you do when you want to automate testing applications,
                which are not OLE servers but host some Activex controls (ocx).
                How can they be handled by Perl (apart from FindWindowLike and
                SendKeys)? How can you deal with such controls using Visual Basic?

                wrote:

                > Hi Dennis,
                >
                > I have used both perl and VBScript/COM...for testing .
                > And I personally believe that for windows GUI testing there is
                nothing better than VBScript/COM...U just have to write a custom
                component using Visual Basic which can give access to all the GUI
                Win32API's and there u go u can use this in ur VBScript code to give
                absolute control over all the windows and user interaction to those
                windows....and the whole thing is pretty simple...the only thing u
                gotta do is some research on the different win32 APIs...
                > When I used perl Win32 i faced a lot of timing issues plus ofcourse
                I had to patch the win32 module as it didnt work with perl 5.8 and
                cygwin.
                > By the way does anybody know if that problem is fixed yet ...

              • Steven Swenson
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
                  Kind of a follow on question...

                  I tried win32::gui::AxWindow ... but it seems to try
                  to open internet explorer regardless of the program
                  app and/or clsid used to create the activex control.

                  Anyone else have this problem or a solution to it?

                  --Steven

                  wrote:

                  > Hi Dennis,
                  >
                  > I have used both perl and VBScript/COM...for testing
                  .
                  > And I personally believe that for windows GUI
                  testing there is
                  nothing better than VBScript/COM...U just have to
                  write a custom
                  component using Visual Basic which can give access to
                  all the GUI
                  Win32API's and there u go u can use this in ur
                  VBScript code to give
                  absolute control over all the windows and user
                  interaction to those
                  windows....and the whole thing is pretty simple...the
                  only thing u
                  gotta do is some research on the different win32
                  APIs...
                  > When I used perl Win32 i faced a lot of timing
                  issues plus ofcourse
                  I had to patch the win32 module as it didnt work with
                  perl 5.8 and
                  cygwin.
                  > By the way does anybody know if that problem is
                  fixed yet ...

                  Terms of Service.