Problems compiling Win32-GuiTest 1.50.2-AD

  • Kevin Piantanida
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
      I'm trying to compile Win32::Guitest ver 1.50.2-AD on a Win XP Pro machine running ActivePerl 5.8.6 build 811. I have MS Visual C++ loaded, and ran VCVARS32.bat before trying to compile it. My steps are as follows:

      C:\Win32GUITest_Temp>vcvars32.bat
      Setting environment for using Microsoft Visual C++ tools.

      C:\Win32GUITest_Temp>perl C:\Win32GUITest_Temp\makefile.pl
      Writing Makefile for Win32::GuiTest

      C:\Win32GUITest_Temp>nmake

      Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 1.62.7022
      Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-1997. All rights reserved.

      cl -c -nologo -Gf -W3 -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG -O1 -DWIN32 -D_CONSOLE -DNO_STRICT -DHAVE_DES_FCRYPT -DNO_HA
      SH_SEED -DPERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT -DPERL_IMPLICIT_SYS -DUSE_PERLIO -DPERL_MSVCRT_READFIX -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG -O1
      -DVERSION=\"1.50.2-ad\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.50.2-ad\" "-IC:\Perl\lib\CORE" guitest.cpp
      guitest.cpp
      cl -c -nologo -Gf -W3 -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG -O1 -DWIN32 -D_CONSOLE -DNO_STRICT -DHAVE_DES_FCRYPT -DNO_HA
      SH_SEED -DPERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT -DPERL_IMPLICIT_SYS -DUSE_PERLIO -DPERL_MSVCRT_READFIX -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG -O1
      -DVERSION=\"1.50.2-ad\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.50.2-ad\" "-IC:\Perl\lib\CORE" dibsect.cpp
      dibsect.cpp
      Running Mkbootstrap for Win32::GuiTest ()
      C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe -MExtUtils::Command -e chmod 644 GuiTest.bs
      link -out:blib\arch\auto\Win32\GuiTest\GuiTest.dll -dll -nologo -nodefaultlib -debug -opt:ref,icf -li
      bpath:"C:\Perl\lib\CORE" -machine:x86 GuiTest.obj DibSect.obj C:\Perl\lib\CORE\perl58.lib oldnames.lib kern
      el32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib neta
      pi32.lib uuid.lib ws2_32.lib mpr.lib winmm.lib version.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib msvcrt.lib -def:GuiTest.de
      C:\Perl\lib\CORE\perl58.lib : fatal error LNK1106: invalid file or disk full: cannot seek to 0x41c1962a
      NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'link' : return code '0xc'
      Stop.

      C:\Win32GUITest_Temp>

      I copied NMAKE.EXE, NMAKE.ERR, CL.exe and Link.exe to the C:\Perl\bin folder, and made sure that C:\Perl\bin was in my PATH, LIB, and INCLUDE environment variables. The drive has 74 GB of available space. I was originally running ActivePerl ver 5.8.0 build 806 and had the same error.
      Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this to compile? Any help is greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Kevin

    • Wenjie Wang
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
        Is it complaining that disk full ?

        Kevin Piantanida <kpiantanida@...> wrote:
        Hi,
        I'm trying to compile Win32::Guitest ver 1.50.2-AD on a Win XP Pro machine running ActivePerl 5.8.6 build 811. I have MS Visual C++ loaded, and ran VCVARS32.bat before trying to compile it. My steps are as follows:

        [snip]

        C:\Perl\lib\CORE\perl58.lib : fatal error LNK1106: invalid file or disk full: cannot seek to 0x41c1962a
        NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'link' : return code '0xc'
        Stop.

        Wenjie Wang(a.k.a. William) wwang@...
        WANG Infonology Systems Ph: (02)-98712018 Mobile: 0412688380
        http://users.bigpond.net.au/WISeAgent http://www.websamba.com/wiseagent
      • contorni2000
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2005
          Wenjie,
          It says "invalid file or disk full", but I have 74GB of free
          space on my hard drive, so I don't think space is an issue.

          Tom,
          I tried compiling from another folder with no luck. I then
          uninstalled MS Visual C++, and since I was removing it anyway, I
          decided to try another machine entirely. I loaded MS VC++ on a Win
          XP Home Edition machine, and set the PATH, INCLUDE and LIB
          Environment variables to include c:\Perl\bin, then copied NMAKE.exe,
          NMAKE.err, CL.exe and Link.exe to the C:\Perl\bin folder. I then
          ran VCVARS32.bat with no problem, but I got the following warning
          when I ran the makefile.pl script.:

          Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
          (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

          C:\Perl_Guitest_Temp1\Win32-GuiTest-CVS>vcvars32.bat
          Setting environment for using Microsoft Visual C++ tools.

          C:\Perl_Guitest_Temp1\Win32-GuiTest-CVS>perl C:\Perl_Guitest_Temp1
          \Win32-GuiTest
          -CVS\makefile.pl
          Checking if your kit is complete...
          Warning: the following files are missing in your kit:
          Examples.pm
          MANIFEST
          MANIFEST.SKIP
          META.yml
          Win32-GuiTest.ppd
          Win32-GuiTest.tar.gz
          Please inform the author.
          Writing Makefile for Win32::GuiTest

          C:\Perl_Guitest_Temp1\Win32-GuiTest-CVS>

          When I checked the C:\Perl_Guitest_Temp1\Win32-GuiTest-CVS\ folder
          itself, I found that the MANIFEST, MANIFEST.SKIP, and Win32-
          GuiTest.ppd files were in the directory I ran makefile.pl from, but
          Examples.pm, META.yml, and Win32-GuiTest.tar.gz are not in the
          folder. I checked the zip file that I downloaded and extracted the
          files from, and they are not in it either. The file is named "Win32-
          GuiTest-CVS-12232004.zip", and I downloaded it from Dennis' website
          per his posting on 12/23/2004.

          Tom/Dennis, is it possible that these missing files would prevent
          it from compiling properly, or am I on the wrong track?

          P.S. Since it created Makefile anyway, I tried running NMAKE on
          this machine, but I got the same error message as last time.

          I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

          Thanks,
          Kevin

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, Wenjie Wang <wiseagent2000@y...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2005
            Hello,
            Searching the web indicates that this error may present itself if
            Service Pack 3 for Visual Studio needs to be installed. Or, if
            using the Learning Edition of VS it may not have all the necessary
            components.

            Regards.

            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "contorni2000"

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 11, 2005
              Dennis, I installed Visual Studio service pack 3 and it worked without a problem. Thanks for the help, and thanks for all the great work on this module!

              --Kevin