RE: [perlguitest] DibSect is not working, please help

  • Chris Hilton
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2004
      You need Microsoft Visual C++ installed to compile Win32::Screenshot. If you
      have that, you probably also need to run vcvars32.bat before compiling. You
      should get just the "Writing Makefile..." line when running perl Makefile.pl
      if everything is set up right.

      Having said that, what I'd actually recommend is adding the Univ. of
      Winnipeg repository to your PPM config and install it from there. Just start
      ppm and run the command 'rep add UWinnipeg
      http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/' <http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/'> .
      You should be able run 'install Win32-Screenshot' then.

      As for Win32::GuiTest::DibSect, I don't think it has a separate package
      file, but I'm afraid I don't enough about using it to help you further.

      Chris

    • Nicole Sheldon
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 29, 2004
        Chris,
        Thank you kindly for the reply. I added UWinnipeg's
        repository and it worked great! No install problems at
        all.

        As for DibSect I am giving up on it as a lost cause.
        There is no documentation and hardly anyone has used
        it - no support at all. Maybe a year from now someone
        who knows how to get DibSect working will read this
        and write me an email explaining what they did...

        Thanks for the help,
        sapbucket

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2004
          Hello,

          The following example works for me... Note the case sensitivity
          of "Win32::GuiTest"...

          #!/usr/bin/perl -w

          use Win32::GuiTest qw(:ALL);

          $ds = new Win32::GuiTest::DibSect;

          my @windows = FindWindowLike(0, "C",0); #, "^XLMAIN\$");
          for (@windows) {
          SetForegroundWindow($_);
          $ds->CopyWindow($_);
          $ds->ToGrayScale();
          $ds->SaveAs("c:\\bla.bmp");
          $ds->ToClipboard();

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "snikki326" <snikki326@y...>
          wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I get an error when I try to use Win32::GUITest::DibSect
          >
          > For example:
          > -----------------------------
          > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
          > use Win32::GUITest;
          >
          > $ds = new Win32::GUITest::DibSect;
          >
          > my @windows = FindWindowLike(0, "MY WINDOW",0); #, "^XLMAIN\$");
          > for (@windows) {
          > SetForegroundWindow($_);
          > $ds->CopyWindow($_);
          > $ds->ToGrayScale();
          > $ds->SaveAs("c:\bla.bmp");
          > $ds->ToClipboard();
          > }
          > -----------------------------
          >
          > However, the script crashes on:
          > $ds = new Win32::GUITest::DibSect;
          >
          > The error message is:
          > Can't locate object method "new" via
          > package "Win32::GUITest::DibSect" (perhaps you forgot to
          > load "Win32::GUITest::DibSect"?) at testDibSect.pl line 5.
          >
          > Which is a very elementary error. It means that DibSect is not
          > there.
          >
          > Can anyone suggest any way of getting DibSect to work? The only
          > reference I can find is http://search.cpan.org/~ctrondlp/Win32-
          > GuiTest-1.50.2-ad/guitest.pm
          >

          > And that is very sparse at best.
          >
          > Anyone know how to get documentation on DibSect?
          >
          > Thanks!
        • Nicole Sheldon
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 5, 2004
            Dennis,

            I get the following error when I run the example
            code below:

            Can't locate object method "new" via package
            "Win32::GuiTest::DibSect" (perhaps you forgot to load
            "Win32::GuiTest::DibSect"?) at
            C:\OCR\Dev\testDibSect.pl line 7.

            Which seems bazaar to me because I have access to
            the rest of the GuiTest functionality. This type of
            error almost always originates from having a missing
            piece of the total package - in this case the piece is
            the DibSect module associated with GuiTest.

            I have tried searching for DibSect on my HD and I
            thought it should be at
            C:\perl\site\lib\win32\GuiTest\DibSect. It isn't. The
            only file I can find is
            C:\perl\site\lib\win32\GuiTest.pm.

            I have even tried different installations of GuiTest
            to no avail.

            Any ideas?

            I do not think the problem is a code problem (syntax
            error, etc.) but is more likely an installation issue.
            I base this conclusion on the below code not working
            even though I executed it verbatim. If it works for
            Dennis I thought it should work for me too :(

            Thanks!

            --- "Dennis K. Paulsen" <ctrondlpaulsden@...>
            wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > The following example works for me... Note the case
            > sensitivity
            > of "Win32::GuiTest"...
            >

            > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
            >
            > use Win32::GuiTest qw(:ALL);
            >

            > $ds = new Win32::GuiTest::DibSect;
            >

            > my @windows = FindWindowLike(0, "C",0); #,
            > "^XLMAIN\$");
            > for (@windows) {
            > SetForegroundWindow($_);
            > $ds->CopyWindow($_);
            > $ds->ToGrayScale();
            > $ds->SaveAs("c:\\bla.bmp");
            > $ds->ToClipboard();

            > Dennis K. Paulsen
            >
            > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "snikki326"
            > <snikki326@y...>
            > wrote:
            > >

            > > Hello,
            > >
            > > I get an error when I try to use
            > Win32::GUITest::DibSect
            > >
            > > For example:
            > > -----------------------------
            > > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
            > > use Win32::GUITest;
            > >
            > > $ds = new Win32::GUITest::DibSect;
            > >
            > > my @windows = FindWindowLike(0, "MY WINDOW",0); #,
            > "^XLMAIN\$");
            > > for (@windows) {
            > > SetForegroundWindow($_);
            > > $ds->CopyWindow($_);
            > > $ds->ToGrayScale();
            > > $ds->SaveAs("c:\bla.bmp");
            > > $ds->ToClipboard();
            > > }
            > > -----------------------------
            > >
            > > However, the script crashes on:
            > > $ds = new Win32::GUITest::DibSect;
            > >
            > > The error message is:
            > > Can't locate object method "new" via
            > > package "Win32::GUITest::DibSect" (perhaps you
            > forgot to
            > > load "Win32::GUITest::DibSect"?) at testDibSect.pl
            > line 5.
            > >
            > > Which is a very elementary error. It means that
            > DibSect is not
            > > there.
            > >
            > > Can anyone suggest any way of getting DibSect to
            > work? The only
            > > reference I can find is
            > http://search.cpan.org/~ctrondlp/Win32-
            > > GuiTest-1.50.2-ad/guitest.pm
            > >

            > > And that is very sparse at best.
            > >
            > > Anyone know how to get documentation on DibSect?
            > >
            > > Thanks!

          • Victor Ziv
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 6, 2004

              You've probably installed Win32::GuiTest module from
              the current Active State ppd. If so, DibSect is not
              there indeed. The current Active State repository
              version for the module is 1.30, while CPAN archive
              makes it for ver. 1.50.2-ad, which does provides
              DibSect.

              By the way, I've tryied to install the module on Perl
              v5.8.4 with MS nmake and it went bats. The
              Win32-GuiTest.ppd included with the 1.50.2-ad package
              did the job though.

              Cheers.

              --- Nicole Sheldon <snikki326@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > $ds->ToClipboard();
              > > > }
              > > > -----------------------------
              > > >
              > > > However, the script crashes on:
              > > > $ds = new Win32::GUITest::DibSect;
              > > >
              > > > The error message is:
              > > > Can't locate object method "new" via
              > > > package "Win32::GUITest::DibSect" (perhaps you
              > > forgot to
              > > > load "Win32::GUITest::DibSect"?) at
              > testDibSect.pl
              > > line 5.
              > > >
              > > > Which is a very elementary error. It means that
              > > DibSect is not
              > > > there.
              > > >
              > > > Can anyone suggest any way of getting DibSect to
              > > work? The only
              > > > reference I can find is
              > > http://search.cpan.org/~ctrondlp/Win32-
              > > > GuiTest-1.50.2-ad/guitest.pm
              > > >

              > > > And that is very sparse at best.
              > > >
              > > > Anyone know how to get documentation on DibSect?

              Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
              www.yahoo.com
            • Nicole Sheldon
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 8, 2004
                Victor,

                CPAN "wants" to install version 1.3 by default. Is
                there a way to set CPAN to get a different version?
                PPM does not find Win32::GuiTest at all.

                Anyone know a link to get version 1.50.2-ad?

                Thanks!

                Installations on CPAN (at least that I can see):

                ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/id/E/ER/ERNGUI/CHECKSUMS
                16147 1999-11-14 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.3.zip
                15244 2000-01-07 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.4.zip
                16138 2000-03-11 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.5.zip
                18293 2000-03-12 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.6.zip
                32075 2000-11-19 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.7.zip
                34020 2000-12-24 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.8.zip
                34439 2001-01-04 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.9.zip
                36317 2001-06-03 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-1.0.zip
                46524 2001-06-17 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-1.1.zip
                49701 2001-11-04 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-1.2.zip
                58103 2001-12-02 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-1.3.zip

                --- Victor Ziv <victor_ziv@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > The
                > > only file I can find is
                > > C:\perl\site\lib\win32\GuiTest.pm.
                > >
                > > I have even tried different installations of
                > > GuiTest
                > > to no avail.
                > >
                > > Any ideas?
                > >
                > > I do not think the problem is a code problem
                > > (syntax
                > > error, etc.) but is more likely an installation
                > > issue.
                > > I base this conclusion on the below code not
                > working
                > > even though I executed it verbatim. If it works
                > for
                > > Dennis I thought it should work for me too :(
                > >

                > > Thanks!
                > >

                > > --- "Dennis K. Paulsen"
                > <ctrondlpaulsden@...>
                > > wrote:
                > >

                > > > Hello,
                > > >
                > > > The following example works for me... Note the

              • Victor Ziv
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 8, 2004
                  Hi Nicole,

                  Here is the link to ver. 1.50.2-ad on the CPAN
                  archive.
                  http://search.cpan.org/~ctrondlp/Win32-GuiTest-1.50.2-ad/

                  You can manually download the ZIP file and extract
                  somewhere on your local disk.

                  The INSTALLATION part of readme.html (comes with the
                  package) stands for the following:

                  -- start of quote

                  If you are using ActivePerl 5.6
                  (http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/index.html)
                  you can install the binary package I am including
                  instead. You will need to enter PPM (Perl Package
                  Manager) from the command-line. Once you have
                  extracted the files I send you to a directory of your
                  machine, enter PPM and do like this:

                  C:\TEMP>ppm
                  PPM interactive shell (2.0) - type 'help' for
                  available commands.
                  PPM> install C:\temp\win32-guitest.ppd
                  Install package 'C:\temp\win32-guitest.ppd?'
                  (y/N): Y
                  Retrieving package 'C:\temp\win32-guitest.ppd'...
                  Writing
                  C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\Win32\GuiTest\.packlist

                  I extracted them to 'c:\temp', please use the
                  directory where you extracted the files instead.

                  -- end of quote

                  I ran the above procedure on Active State Perl 5.8.3
                  and it worked all right. You'll probably have to
                  uninstall the ver. 1.3 before...

                  Hope it helps.

                  Victor.

> [...]

                  > > > I have tried searching for DibSect on my HD
                  > and
                  > > > thought it should be at
                  > > > C:\perl\site\lib\win32\GuiTest\DibSect. It
                  > isn't.
                  > > > The
                  > > > only file I can find is
                  > > > C:\perl\site\lib\win32\GuiTest.pm.
                  > > >
                  > > > I have even tried different installations of
                  > > > GuiTest
                  > > > to no avail.
                  > > >
                  > > > Any ideas?
                  > > >
                  > > > I do not think the problem is a code problem
                  > > > (syntax
                  > > > error, etc.) but is more likely an installation
                  > > > issue.
                  > > > I base this conclusion on the below code not
                  > > working
                  > > > even though I executed it verbatim. If it works
                  > > for
                  > > > Dennis I thought it should work for me too :(

                  === message truncated ===

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 8, 2004
                    Victor,

                    Thanks! That was it.

                    After uninstalling v1.3 using:
                    ppm> uninstall Win32-GuiTest

                    I installed the newer version using:
                    install
                    C:\temp\Win32-GuiTest-1.50.2-ad\Win32-GuiTest.ppd

                    After that, my test program worked perfectly!

                    Thanks again,

                    BTW, for future reference, the test script is:

                    # testDibSect.pl