RE: [perlguitest] DibSect is not working, please help

  • Chris Hilton
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 27, 2004
      Try adding "use Win32::GuiTest::DibSect;". I'm pretty sure you'll also need
      to change the other use directive to something like "use Win32::GuiTest
      qw(FindWindowLike SetForegroundWindow);". Personally, though, I use
      Win32::Screenshot for screen captures.

      Chris Hilton

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 27, 2004
        Chris,

        I tried out Win32::Screenshot and ran into some
        strange errors. I am used to finding and installing
        packages using ppm, but a quick search revealed that
        PPM could not find screenshot; however, I saw on CPAN
        that it was there, so i used cpan package manager. I
        was able to download the package but running

        (I'm using Windows XP)
        perl Makefile.pl
        nmake
        nmake test
        nmake install

        revealed errors, specifically:

        C:\.cpan\build\Win32-Screenshot-1.20>perl Makefile.PL
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for
        comctl32.lib
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for
        oldnames.lib
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for
        kernel32.lib
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for
        user32.lib
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for
        gdi32.lib
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for
        winspool.lib
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for
        comdlg32.lib
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for
        advapi32.lib
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for
        shell32.lib
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for
        ole32.lib
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for
        oleaut32.lib
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for
        netapi32.lib
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for
        uuid.lib
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for
        wsock32.lib
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for mpr.lib
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for
        winmm.lib
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for
        version.lib
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for
        odbc32.lib
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for
        odbccp32.lib
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for
        msvcrt.lib
        Writing Makefile for Win32::Screenshot

        C:\.cpan\build\Win32-Screenshot-1.20>nmake Makefile
        Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version
        1.50
        Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights
        reserved.

        'Makefile' is up-to-date

        C:\.cpan\build\Win32-Screenshot-1.20>nmake test

        Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version
        1.50
        Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights
        reserved.

        cl -c -I. -nologo -Gf -W3 -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG
        -O1 -DWIN32 -D_CONSOLE -DNO_STRICT -DHAVE_DES_FCRYPT
        -DNO_HASH
        _SEED -DPERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT -DPERL_IMPLICIT_SYS
        -DUSE_PERLIO -DPERL_MSVCRT_READFIX -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG
        -O1 -DVERS
        ION=\"1.20\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.20\"
        "-IC:\Perl\lib\CORE" Screenshot.c
        'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external
        command,
        operable program or batch file.
        NMAKE : fatal error U1077:
        'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code '0x1'
        Stop.

        C:\.cpan\build\Win32-Screenshot-1.20>nmake install
        Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version
        1.50
        Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights
        reserved.

        cl -c -I. -nologo -Gf -W3 -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG
        -O1 -DWIN32 -D_CONSOLE -DNO_STRICT -DHAVE_DES_FCRYPT
        -DNO_HASH
        _SEED -DPERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT -DPERL_IMPLICIT_SYS
        -DUSE_PERLIO -DPERL_MSVCRT_READFIX -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG
        -O1 -DVERS
        ION=\"1.20\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.20\"
        "-IC:\Perl\lib\CORE" Screenshot.c
        'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external
        command,
        operable program or batch file.
        NMAKE : fatal error U1077:
        'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code '0x1'
        Stop.

        Did you encounter this problem? I have not been
        able to try out the module because I can't install it.

        Also, I tried out the code suggestions that you
        provided me for using DibSect, and here is what it
        looks like:

        #!/usr/bin/perl -w
        use Win32::GuiTest qw(FindWindowLike GetWindowText
        SetForegroundWindow SendKeys MouseMoveAbsPix
        SendMouse);

        $Win32::GuiTest::debug = 0; # Set to "1" to enable
        verbose mode

        use Win32::GuiTest::DibSect; # this underlined red -
        it is an error
        $ds = new Win32::GuiTest::DibSect;

        my @windows = FindWindowLike(0, "Texas",0); #,
        "^XLMAIN\$");
        for (@windows) {
        SetForegroundWindow($_);
        }

        $ds->CopyWindow();
        $ds->ToGrayScale();
        $ds->SaveAs("c:\bla.bmp");
        $ds->ToClipboard();

        And I get the same exact error. DibSect is simply not
        installed on my computer!!! When I installed
        Win32::GuiTest was DibSect installed along with it? I
        cannot find it: no modules, no code within GuiTest.pm
        for it, etc.

        If you could do me a huge favor and check your
        GuiTest installation directory to see how DibSect is
        treated I would be most thankful.

        Just a side note, the package
        Win32::GuiTest::DibSect translates to a path of
        c:\...\Win32\GuiTest\DibSect doesn't it? I have no
        folder or file named DibSect on my computer.

        Any advice?

      • Chris Hilton
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 28, 2004
          You need Microsoft Visual C++ installed to compile Win32::Screenshot. If you
          have that, you probably also need to run vcvars32.bat before compiling. You
          should get just the "Writing Makefile..." line when running perl Makefile.pl
          if everything is set up right.

          Having said that, what I'd actually recommend is adding the Univ. of
          Winnipeg repository to your PPM config and install it from there. Just start
          ppm and run the command 'rep add UWinnipeg
          http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/' <http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/'> .
          You should be able run 'install Win32-Screenshot' then.

          As for Win32::GuiTest::DibSect, I don't think it has a separate package
          file, but I'm afraid I don't enough about using it to help you further.

          Chris

        • Nicole Sheldon
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 29, 2004
            Chris,
            Thank you kindly for the reply. I added UWinnipeg's
            repository and it worked great! No install problems at
            all.

            As for DibSect I am giving up on it as a lost cause.
            There is no documentation and hardly anyone has used
            it - no support at all. Maybe a year from now someone
            who knows how to get DibSect working will read this
            and write me an email explaining what they did...

            Thanks for the help,
            sapbucket

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 3, 2004
              Hello,

              The following example works for me... Note the case sensitivity
              of "Win32::GuiTest"...

              #!/usr/bin/perl -w

              use Win32::GuiTest qw(:ALL);

              $ds = new Win32::GuiTest::DibSect;

              my @windows = FindWindowLike(0, "C",0); #, "^XLMAIN\$");
              for (@windows) {
              SetForegroundWindow($_);
              $ds->CopyWindow($_);
              $ds->ToGrayScale();
              $ds->SaveAs("c:\\bla.bmp");
              $ds->ToClipboard();

              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "snikki326" <snikki326@y...>
              wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I get an error when I try to use Win32::GUITest::DibSect
              >
              > For example:
              > -----------------------------
              > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
              > use Win32::GUITest;
              >
              > $ds = new Win32::GUITest::DibSect;
              >
              > my @windows = FindWindowLike(0, "MY WINDOW",0); #, "^XLMAIN\$");
              > for (@windows) {
              > SetForegroundWindow($_);
              > $ds->CopyWindow($_);
              > $ds->ToGrayScale();
              > $ds->SaveAs("c:\bla.bmp");
              > $ds->ToClipboard();
              > }
              > -----------------------------
              >
              > However, the script crashes on:
              > $ds = new Win32::GUITest::DibSect;
              >
              > The error message is:
              > Can't locate object method "new" via
              > package "Win32::GUITest::DibSect" (perhaps you forgot to
              > load "Win32::GUITest::DibSect"?) at testDibSect.pl line 5.
              >
              > Which is a very elementary error. It means that DibSect is not
              > there.
              >
              > Can anyone suggest any way of getting DibSect to work? The only
              > reference I can find is http://search.cpan.org/~ctrondlp/Win32-
              > GuiTest-1.50.2-ad/guitest.pm
              >

              > And that is very sparse at best.
              >
              > Anyone know how to get documentation on DibSect?
              >
              > Thanks!
            • Nicole Sheldon
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 5, 2004
                Dennis,

                I get the following error when I run the example
                code below:

                Can't locate object method "new" via package
                "Win32::GuiTest::DibSect" (perhaps you forgot to load
                "Win32::GuiTest::DibSect"?) at
                C:\OCR\Dev\testDibSect.pl line 7.

                Which seems bazaar to me because I have access to
                the rest of the GuiTest functionality. This type of
                error almost always originates from having a missing
                piece of the total package - in this case the piece is
                the DibSect module associated with GuiTest.

                I have tried searching for DibSect on my HD and I
                thought it should be at
                C:\perl\site\lib\win32\GuiTest\DibSect. It isn't. The
                only file I can find is
                C:\perl\site\lib\win32\GuiTest.pm.

                I have even tried different installations of GuiTest
                to no avail.

                Any ideas?

                I do not think the problem is a code problem (syntax
                error, etc.) but is more likely an installation issue.
                I base this conclusion on the below code not working
                even though I executed it verbatim. If it works for
                Dennis I thought it should work for me too :(

                Thanks!

                --- "Dennis K. Paulsen" <ctrondlpaulsden@...>
                wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > The following example works for me... Note the case
                > sensitivity
                > of "Win32::GuiTest"...
                >

                > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
                >
                > use Win32::GuiTest qw(:ALL);
                >

                > $ds = new Win32::GuiTest::DibSect;
                >

                > my @windows = FindWindowLike(0, "C",0); #,
                > "^XLMAIN\$");
                > for (@windows) {
                > SetForegroundWindow($_);
                > $ds->CopyWindow($_);
                > $ds->ToGrayScale();
                > $ds->SaveAs("c:\\bla.bmp");
                > $ds->ToClipboard();

                > Dennis K. Paulsen
                >
                > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "snikki326"
                > <snikki326@y...>
                > wrote:
                > >

                > > Hello,
                > >
                > > I get an error when I try to use
                > Win32::GUITest::DibSect
                > >
                > > For example:
                > > -----------------------------
                > > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
                > > use Win32::GUITest;
                > >
                > > $ds = new Win32::GUITest::DibSect;
                > >
                > > my @windows = FindWindowLike(0, "MY WINDOW",0); #,
                > "^XLMAIN\$");
                > > for (@windows) {
                > > SetForegroundWindow($_);
                > > $ds->CopyWindow($_);
                > > $ds->ToGrayScale();
                > > $ds->SaveAs("c:\bla.bmp");
                > > $ds->ToClipboard();
                > > }
                > > -----------------------------
                > >
                > > However, the script crashes on:
                > > $ds = new Win32::GUITest::DibSect;
                > >
                > > The error message is:
                > > Can't locate object method "new" via
                > > package "Win32::GUITest::DibSect" (perhaps you
                > forgot to
                > > load "Win32::GUITest::DibSect"?) at testDibSect.pl
                > line 5.
                > >
                > > Which is a very elementary error. It means that
                > DibSect is not
                > > there.
                > >
                > > Can anyone suggest any way of getting DibSect to
                > work? The only
                > > reference I can find is
                > http://search.cpan.org/~ctrondlp/Win32-
                > > GuiTest-1.50.2-ad/guitest.pm
                > >

                > > And that is very sparse at best.
                > >
                > > Anyone know how to get documentation on DibSect?
                > >
                > > Thanks!

              • Victor Ziv
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 6, 2004

                  You've probably installed Win32::GuiTest module from
                  the current Active State ppd. If so, DibSect is not
                  there indeed. The current Active State repository
                  version for the module is 1.30, while CPAN archive
                  makes it for ver. 1.50.2-ad, which does provides
                  DibSect.

                  By the way, I've tryied to install the module on Perl
                  v5.8.4 with MS nmake and it went bats. The
                  Win32-GuiTest.ppd included with the 1.50.2-ad package
                  did the job though.

                  Cheers.

                  --- Nicole Sheldon <snikki326@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > $ds->ToClipboard();
                  > > > }
                  > > > -----------------------------
                  > > >
                  > > > However, the script crashes on:
                  > > > $ds = new Win32::GUITest::DibSect;
                  > > >
                  > > > The error message is:
                  > > > Can't locate object method "new" via
                  > > > package "Win32::GUITest::DibSect" (perhaps you
                  > > forgot to
                  > > > load "Win32::GUITest::DibSect"?) at
                  > testDibSect.pl
                  > > line 5.
                  > > >
                  > > > Which is a very elementary error. It means that
                  > > DibSect is not
                  > > > there.
                  > > >
                  > > > Can anyone suggest any way of getting DibSect to
                  > > work? The only
                  > > > reference I can find is
                  > > http://search.cpan.org/~ctrondlp/Win32-
                  > > > GuiTest-1.50.2-ad/guitest.pm
                  > > >

                  > > > And that is very sparse at best.
                  > > >
                  > > > Anyone know how to get documentation on DibSect?

                  Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                  www.yahoo.com
                • Nicole Sheldon
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 8, 2004
                    Victor,

                    CPAN "wants" to install version 1.3 by default. Is
                    there a way to set CPAN to get a different version?
                    PPM does not find Win32::GuiTest at all.

                    Anyone know a link to get version 1.50.2-ad?

                    Thanks!

                    Installations on CPAN (at least that I can see):

                    ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/id/E/ER/ERNGUI/CHECKSUMS
                    16147 1999-11-14 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.3.zip
                    15244 2000-01-07 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.4.zip
                    16138 2000-03-11 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.5.zip
                    18293 2000-03-12 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.6.zip
                    32075 2000-11-19 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.7.zip
                    34020 2000-12-24 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.8.zip
                    34439 2001-01-04 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.9.zip
                    36317 2001-06-03 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-1.0.zip
                    46524 2001-06-17 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-1.1.zip
                    49701 2001-11-04 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-1.2.zip
                    58103 2001-12-02 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-1.3.zip

                    --- Victor Ziv <victor_ziv@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > The
                    > > only file I can find is
                    > > C:\perl\site\lib\win32\GuiTest.pm.
                    > >
                    > > I have even tried different installations of
                    > > GuiTest
                    > > to no avail.
                    > >
                    > > Any ideas?
                    > >
                    > > I do not think the problem is a code problem
                    > > (syntax
                    > > error, etc.) but is more likely an installation
                    > > issue.
                    > > I base this conclusion on the below code not
                    > working
                    > > even though I executed it verbatim. If it works
                    > for
                    > > Dennis I thought it should work for me too :(
                    > >

                    > > Thanks!
                    > >

                    > > --- "Dennis K. Paulsen"
                    > <ctrondlpaulsden@...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > >

                    > > > Hello,
                    > > >
                    > > > The following example works for me... Note the

                  • Victor Ziv
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 8, 2004
                      Hi Nicole,

                      Here is the link to ver. 1.50.2-ad on the CPAN
                      archive.
                      http://search.cpan.org/~ctrondlp/Win32-GuiTest-1.50.2-ad/

                      You can manually download the ZIP file and extract
                      somewhere on your local disk.

                      The INSTALLATION part of readme.html (comes with the
                      package) stands for the following:

                      -- start of quote

                      If you are using ActivePerl 5.6
                      (http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/index.html)
                      you can install the binary package I am including
                      instead. You will need to enter PPM (Perl Package
                      Manager) from the command-line. Once you have
                      extracted the files I send you to a directory of your
                      machine, enter PPM and do like this:

                      C:\TEMP>ppm
                      PPM interactive shell (2.0) - type 'help' for
                      available commands.
                      PPM> install C:\temp\win32-guitest.ppd
                      Install package 'C:\temp\win32-guitest.ppd?'
                      (y/N): Y
                      Retrieving package 'C:\temp\win32-guitest.ppd'...
                      Writing
                      C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\Win32\GuiTest\.packlist

                      I extracted them to 'c:\temp', please use the
                      directory where you extracted the files instead.

                      -- end of quote

                      I ran the above procedure on Active State Perl 5.8.3
                      and it worked all right. You'll probably have to
                      uninstall the ver. 1.3 before...

                      Hope it helps.

                      Victor.

> [...]

                      > > > I have tried searching for DibSect on my HD
                      > and
                      > > > thought it should be at
                      > > > C:\perl\site\lib\win32\GuiTest\DibSect. It
                      > isn't.
                      > > > The
                      > > > only file I can find is
                      > > > C:\perl\site\lib\win32\GuiTest.pm.
                      > > >
                      > > > I have even tried different installations of
                      > > > GuiTest
                      > > > to no avail.
                      > > >
                      > > > Any ideas?
                      > > >
                      > > > I do not think the problem is a code problem
                      > > > (syntax
                      > > > error, etc.) but is more likely an installation
                      > > > issue.
                      > > > I base this conclusion on the below code not
                      > > working
                      > > > even though I executed it verbatim. If it works
                      > > for
                      > > > Dennis I thought it should work for me too :(

                      === message truncated ===

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 8, 2004
                        Victor,

                        Thanks! That was it.

                        After uninstalling v1.3 using:
                        ppm> uninstall Win32-GuiTest

                        I installed the newer version using:
                        install
                        C:\temp\Win32-GuiTest-1.50.2-ad\Win32-GuiTest.ppd

                        After that, my test program worked perfectly!

                        Thanks again,

                        BTW, for future reference, the test script is:

                        # testDibSect.pl

                        use Win32::GuiTest qw(:ALL);