DibSect is not working, please help

  • snikki326
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 27, 2004
      Hello,

      I get an error when I try to use Win32::GUITest::DibSect

      For example:
      -----------------------------
      #!/usr/bin/perl -w
      use Win32::GUITest;

      $ds = new Win32::GUITest::DibSect;

      my @windows = FindWindowLike(0, "MY WINDOW",0); #, "^XLMAIN\$");
      for (@windows) {
      SetForegroundWindow($_);
      $ds->CopyWindow($_);
      $ds->ToGrayScale();
      $ds->SaveAs("c:\bla.bmp");
      $ds->ToClipboard();
      }
      -----------------------------

      However, the script crashes on:
      $ds = new Win32::GUITest::DibSect;

      The error message is:
      Can't locate object method "new" via
      package "Win32::GUITest::DibSect" (perhaps you forgot to
      load "Win32::GUITest::DibSect"?) at testDibSect.pl line 5.

      Which is a very elementary error. It means that DibSect is not
      there.

      Can anyone suggest any way of getting DibSect to work? The only
      reference I can find is http://search.cpan.org/~ctrondlp/Win32-
      GuiTest-1.50.2-ad/guitest.pm

      And that is very sparse at best.

      Anyone know how to get documentation on DibSect?

      Thanks!
    • Chris Hilton
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 27, 2004
        Try adding "use Win32::GuiTest::DibSect;". I'm pretty sure you'll also need
        to change the other use directive to something like "use Win32::GuiTest
        qw(FindWindowLike SetForegroundWindow);". Personally, though, I use
        Win32::Screenshot for screen captures.

        Chris Hilton

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 27, 2004
          Chris,

          I tried out Win32::Screenshot and ran into some
          strange errors. I am used to finding and installing
          packages using ppm, but a quick search revealed that
          PPM could not find screenshot; however, I saw on CPAN
          that it was there, so i used cpan package manager. I
          was able to download the package but running

          (I'm using Windows XP)
          perl Makefile.pl
          nmake
          nmake test
          nmake install

          revealed errors, specifically:

          C:\.cpan\build\Win32-Screenshot-1.20>perl Makefile.PL
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for
          comctl32.lib
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for
          oldnames.lib
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for
          kernel32.lib
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for
          user32.lib
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for
          gdi32.lib
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for
          winspool.lib
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for
          comdlg32.lib
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for
          advapi32.lib
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for
          shell32.lib
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for
          ole32.lib
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for
          oleaut32.lib
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for
          netapi32.lib
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for
          uuid.lib
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for
          wsock32.lib
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for mpr.lib
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for
          winmm.lib
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for
          version.lib
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for
          odbc32.lib
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for
          odbccp32.lib
          Note (probably harmless): No library found for
          msvcrt.lib
          Writing Makefile for Win32::Screenshot

          C:\.cpan\build\Win32-Screenshot-1.20>nmake Makefile
          Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version
          1.50
          Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights
          reserved.

          'Makefile' is up-to-date

          C:\.cpan\build\Win32-Screenshot-1.20>nmake test

          Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version
          1.50
          Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights
          reserved.

          cl -c -I. -nologo -Gf -W3 -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG
          -O1 -DWIN32 -D_CONSOLE -DNO_STRICT -DHAVE_DES_FCRYPT
          -DNO_HASH
          _SEED -DPERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT -DPERL_IMPLICIT_SYS
          -DUSE_PERLIO -DPERL_MSVCRT_READFIX -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG
          -O1 -DVERS
          ION=\"1.20\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.20\"
          "-IC:\Perl\lib\CORE" Screenshot.c
          'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external
          command,
          operable program or batch file.
          NMAKE : fatal error U1077:
          'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code '0x1'
          Stop.

          C:\.cpan\build\Win32-Screenshot-1.20>nmake install
          Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version
          1.50
          Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights
          reserved.

          cl -c -I. -nologo -Gf -W3 -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG
          -O1 -DWIN32 -D_CONSOLE -DNO_STRICT -DHAVE_DES_FCRYPT
          -DNO_HASH
          _SEED -DPERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT -DPERL_IMPLICIT_SYS
          -DUSE_PERLIO -DPERL_MSVCRT_READFIX -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG
          -O1 -DVERS
          ION=\"1.20\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.20\"
          "-IC:\Perl\lib\CORE" Screenshot.c
          'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external
          command,
          operable program or batch file.
          NMAKE : fatal error U1077:
          'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code '0x1'
          Stop.

          Did you encounter this problem? I have not been
          able to try out the module because I can't install it.

          Also, I tried out the code suggestions that you
          provided me for using DibSect, and here is what it
          looks like:

          #!/usr/bin/perl -w
          use Win32::GuiTest qw(FindWindowLike GetWindowText
          SetForegroundWindow SendKeys MouseMoveAbsPix
          SendMouse);

          $Win32::GuiTest::debug = 0; # Set to "1" to enable
          verbose mode

          use Win32::GuiTest::DibSect; # this underlined red -
          it is an error
          $ds = new Win32::GuiTest::DibSect;

          my @windows = FindWindowLike(0, "Texas",0); #,
          "^XLMAIN\$");
          for (@windows) {
          SetForegroundWindow($_);
          }

          $ds->CopyWindow();
          $ds->ToGrayScale();
          $ds->SaveAs("c:\bla.bmp");
          $ds->ToClipboard();

          And I get the same exact error. DibSect is simply not
          installed on my computer!!! When I installed
          Win32::GuiTest was DibSect installed along with it? I
          cannot find it: no modules, no code within GuiTest.pm
          for it, etc.

          If you could do me a huge favor and check your
          GuiTest installation directory to see how DibSect is
          treated I would be most thankful.

          Just a side note, the package
          Win32::GuiTest::DibSect translates to a path of
          c:\...\Win32\GuiTest\DibSect doesn't it? I have no
          folder or file named DibSect on my computer.

          Any advice?

        • Chris Hilton
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 28, 2004
            You need Microsoft Visual C++ installed to compile Win32::Screenshot. If you
            have that, you probably also need to run vcvars32.bat before compiling. You
            should get just the "Writing Makefile..." line when running perl Makefile.pl
            if everything is set up right.

            Having said that, what I'd actually recommend is adding the Univ. of
            Winnipeg repository to your PPM config and install it from there. Just start
            ppm and run the command 'rep add UWinnipeg
            http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/' <http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/'> .
            You should be able run 'install Win32-Screenshot' then.

            As for Win32::GuiTest::DibSect, I don't think it has a separate package
            file, but I'm afraid I don't enough about using it to help you further.

            Chris

          • Nicole Sheldon
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 29, 2004
              Chris,
              Thank you kindly for the reply. I added UWinnipeg's
              repository and it worked great! No install problems at
              all.

              As for DibSect I am giving up on it as a lost cause.
              There is no documentation and hardly anyone has used
              it - no support at all. Maybe a year from now someone
              who knows how to get DibSect working will read this
              and write me an email explaining what they did...

              Thanks for the help,
              sapbucket

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 3, 2004
                Hello,

                The following example works for me... Note the case sensitivity
                of "Win32::GuiTest"...

                #!/usr/bin/perl -w

                use Win32::GuiTest qw(:ALL);

                $ds = new Win32::GuiTest::DibSect;

                my @windows = FindWindowLike(0, "C",0); #, "^XLMAIN\$");
                for (@windows) {
                SetForegroundWindow($_);
                $ds->CopyWindow($_);
                $ds->ToGrayScale();
                $ds->SaveAs("c:\\bla.bmp");
                $ds->ToClipboard();

                --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "snikki326" <snikki326@y...>
                wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > I get an error when I try to use Win32::GUITest::DibSect
                >
                > For example:
                > -----------------------------
                > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
                > use Win32::GUITest;
                >
                > $ds = new Win32::GUITest::DibSect;
                >
                > my @windows = FindWindowLike(0, "MY WINDOW",0); #, "^XLMAIN\$");
                > for (@windows) {
                > SetForegroundWindow($_);
                > $ds->CopyWindow($_);
                > $ds->ToGrayScale();
                > $ds->SaveAs("c:\bla.bmp");
                > $ds->ToClipboard();
                > }
                > -----------------------------
                >
                > However, the script crashes on:
                > $ds = new Win32::GUITest::DibSect;
                >
                > The error message is:
                > Can't locate object method "new" via
                > package "Win32::GUITest::DibSect" (perhaps you forgot to
                > load "Win32::GUITest::DibSect"?) at testDibSect.pl line 5.
                >
                > Which is a very elementary error. It means that DibSect is not
                > there.
                >
                > Can anyone suggest any way of getting DibSect to work? The only
                > reference I can find is http://search.cpan.org/~ctrondlp/Win32-
                > GuiTest-1.50.2-ad/guitest.pm
                >

                > And that is very sparse at best.
                >
                > Anyone know how to get documentation on DibSect?
                >
                > Thanks!
              • Nicole Sheldon
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 5, 2004
                  Dennis,

                  I get the following error when I run the example
                  code below:

                  Can't locate object method "new" via package
                  "Win32::GuiTest::DibSect" (perhaps you forgot to load
                  "Win32::GuiTest::DibSect"?) at
                  C:\OCR\Dev\testDibSect.pl line 7.

                  Which seems bazaar to me because I have access to
                  the rest of the GuiTest functionality. This type of
                  error almost always originates from having a missing
                  piece of the total package - in this case the piece is
                  the DibSect module associated with GuiTest.

                  I have tried searching for DibSect on my HD and I
                  thought it should be at
                  C:\perl\site\lib\win32\GuiTest\DibSect. It isn't. The
                  only file I can find is
                  C:\perl\site\lib\win32\GuiTest.pm.

                  I have even tried different installations of GuiTest
                  to no avail.

                  Any ideas?

                  I do not think the problem is a code problem (syntax
                  error, etc.) but is more likely an installation issue.
                  I base this conclusion on the below code not working
                  even though I executed it verbatim. If it works for
                  Dennis I thought it should work for me too :(

                  Thanks!

                  --- "Dennis K. Paulsen" <ctrondlpaulsden@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > The following example works for me... Note the case
                  > sensitivity
                  > of "Win32::GuiTest"...
                  >

                  > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
                  >
                  > use Win32::GuiTest qw(:ALL);
                  >

                  > $ds = new Win32::GuiTest::DibSect;
                  >

                  > my @windows = FindWindowLike(0, "C",0); #,
                  > "^XLMAIN\$");
                  > for (@windows) {
                  > SetForegroundWindow($_);
                  > $ds->CopyWindow($_);
                  > $ds->ToGrayScale();
                  > $ds->SaveAs("c:\\bla.bmp");
                  > $ds->ToClipboard();

                  > Dennis K. Paulsen
                  >
                  > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "snikki326"
                  > <snikki326@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Hello,
                  > >
                  > > I get an error when I try to use
                  > Win32::GUITest::DibSect
                  > >
                  > > For example:
                  > > -----------------------------
                  > > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
                  > > use Win32::GUITest;
                  > >
                  > > $ds = new Win32::GUITest::DibSect;
                  > >
                  > > my @windows = FindWindowLike(0, "MY WINDOW",0); #,
                  > "^XLMAIN\$");
                  > > for (@windows) {
                  > > SetForegroundWindow($_);
                  > > $ds->CopyWindow($_);
                  > > $ds->ToGrayScale();
                  > > $ds->SaveAs("c:\bla.bmp");
                  > > $ds->ToClipboard();
                  > > }
                  > > -----------------------------
                  > >
                  > > However, the script crashes on:
                  > > $ds = new Win32::GUITest::DibSect;
                  > >
                  > > The error message is:
                  > > Can't locate object method "new" via
                  > > package "Win32::GUITest::DibSect" (perhaps you
                  > forgot to
                  > > load "Win32::GUITest::DibSect"?) at testDibSect.pl
                  > line 5.
                  > >
                  > > Which is a very elementary error. It means that
                  > DibSect is not
                  > > there.
                  > >
                  > > Can anyone suggest any way of getting DibSect to
                  > work? The only
                  > > reference I can find is
                  > http://search.cpan.org/~ctrondlp/Win32-
                  > > GuiTest-1.50.2-ad/guitest.pm
                  > >

                  > > And that is very sparse at best.
                  > >
                  > > Anyone know how to get documentation on DibSect?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks!

                • Victor Ziv
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 6, 2004

                    You've probably installed Win32::GuiTest module from
                    the current Active State ppd. If so, DibSect is not
                    there indeed. The current Active State repository
                    version for the module is 1.30, while CPAN archive
                    makes it for ver. 1.50.2-ad, which does provides
                    DibSect.

                    By the way, I've tryied to install the module on Perl
                    v5.8.4 with MS nmake and it went bats. The
                    Win32-GuiTest.ppd included with the 1.50.2-ad package
                    did the job though.

                    Cheers.

                    --- Nicole Sheldon <snikki326@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > $ds->ToClipboard();
                    > > > }
                    > > > -----------------------------
                    > > >
                    > > > However, the script crashes on:
                    > > > $ds = new Win32::GUITest::DibSect;
                    > > >
                    > > > The error message is:
                    > > > Can't locate object method "new" via
                    > > > package "Win32::GUITest::DibSect" (perhaps you
                    > > forgot to
                    > > > load "Win32::GUITest::DibSect"?) at
                    > testDibSect.pl
                    > > line 5.
                    > > >
                    > > > Which is a very elementary error. It means that
                    > > DibSect is not
                    > > > there.
                    > > >
                    > > > Can anyone suggest any way of getting DibSect to
                    > > work? The only
                    > > > reference I can find is
                    > > http://search.cpan.org/~ctrondlp/Win32-
                    > > > GuiTest-1.50.2-ad/guitest.pm
                    > > >

                    > > > And that is very sparse at best.
                    > > >
                    > > > Anyone know how to get documentation on DibSect?

                    Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                    www.yahoo.com
                  • Nicole Sheldon
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 8, 2004
                      Victor,

                      CPAN "wants" to install version 1.3 by default. Is
                      there a way to set CPAN to get a different version?
                      PPM does not find Win32::GuiTest at all.

                      Anyone know a link to get version 1.50.2-ad?

                      Thanks!

                      Installations on CPAN (at least that I can see):

                      ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/id/E/ER/ERNGUI/CHECKSUMS
                      16147 1999-11-14 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.3.zip
                      15244 2000-01-07 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.4.zip
                      16138 2000-03-11 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.5.zip
                      18293 2000-03-12 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.6.zip
                      32075 2000-11-19 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.7.zip
                      34020 2000-12-24 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.8.zip
                      34439 2001-01-04 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-0.9.zip
                      36317 2001-06-03 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-1.0.zip
                      46524 2001-06-17 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-1.1.zip
                      49701 2001-11-04 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-1.2.zip
                      58103 2001-12-02 ERNGUI/Win32-GuiTest-1.3.zip

                      --- Victor Ziv <victor_ziv@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > The
                      > > only file I can find is
                      > > C:\perl\site\lib\win32\GuiTest.pm.
                      > >
                      > > I have even tried different installations of
                      > > GuiTest
                      > > to no avail.
                      > >
                      > > Any ideas?
                      > >
                      > > I do not think the problem is a code problem
                      > > (syntax
                      > > error, etc.) but is more likely an installation
                      > > issue.
                      > > I base this conclusion on the below code not
                      > working
                      > > even though I executed it verbatim. If it works
                      > for
                      > > Dennis I thought it should work for me too :(
                      > >

                      > > Thanks!
                      > >

                      > > --- "Dennis K. Paulsen"
                      > <ctrondlpaulsden@...>
                      > > wrote:
                      > >

                      > > > Hello,
                      > > >
                      > > > The following example works for me... Note the

                    • Victor Ziv
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 8, 2004
                        Hi Nicole,

                        Here is the link to ver. 1.50.2-ad on the CPAN
                        archive.
                        http://search.cpan.org/~ctrondlp/Win32-GuiTest-1.50.2-ad/

                        You can manually download the ZIP file and extract
                        somewhere on your local disk.

                        The INSTALLATION part of readme.html (comes with the
                        package) stands for the following:

                        -- start of quote

                        If you are using ActivePerl 5.6
                        (http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/index.html)
                        you can install the binary package I am including
                        instead. You will need to enter PPM (Perl Package
                        Manager) from the command-line. Once you have
                        extracted the files I send you to a directory of your
                        machine, enter PPM and do like this:

                        C:\TEMP>ppm
                        PPM interactive shell (2.0) - type 'help' for
                        available commands.
                        PPM> install C:\temp\win32-guitest.ppd
                        Install package 'C:\temp\win32-guitest.ppd?'
                        (y/N): Y
                        Retrieving package 'C:\temp\win32-guitest.ppd'...
                        Writing
                        C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\Win32\GuiTest\.packlist

                        I extracted them to 'c:\temp', please use the
                        directory where you extracted the files instead.

                        -- end of quote

                        I ran the above procedure on Active State Perl 5.8.3
                        and it worked all right. You'll probably have to
                        uninstall the ver. 1.3 before...

                        Hope it helps.

                        Victor.

> [...]

                        > > > I have tried searching for DibSect on my HD
                        > and
                        > > > thought it should be at
                        > > > C:\perl\site\lib\win32\GuiTest\DibSect. It
                        > isn't.
                        > > > The
                        > > > only file I can find is
                        > > > C:\perl\site\lib\win32\GuiTest.pm.
                        > > >
                        > > > I have even tried different installations of
                        > > > GuiTest
                        > > > to no avail.
                        > > >
                        > > > Any ideas?
                        > > >
                        > > > I do not think the problem is a code problem
                        > > > (syntax
                        > > > error, etc.) but is more likely an installation
                        > > > issue.
                        > > > I base this conclusion on the below code not
                        > > working
                        > > > even though I executed it verbatim. If it works
                        > > for
                        > > > Dennis I thought it should work for me too :(

                        === message truncated ===

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 8, 2004
                          Victor,

                          Thanks! That was it.

                          After uninstalling v1.3 using:
                          ppm> uninstall Win32-GuiTest

                          I installed the newer version using:
                          install
                          C:\temp\Win32-GuiTest-1.50.2-ad\Win32-GuiTest.ppd

                          After that, my test program worked perfectly!

                          Thanks again,

                          BTW, for future reference, the test script is:

                          # testDibSect.pl

                          use Win32::GuiTest qw(:ALL);