Re: Tutorial on basics of GUI test is available

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2004

      > You mention a couple of "problems" but don't offer directions to solve
      > them.

      This is going to be a topic for the next tutorial...

      > You might want to give simple instructions on where to get perl and
      > how to install Win32::GuiTest, both from ActiveState using ppm
      > and the alternate distribution from CPAN.

      You are right. BTW, one comment. I would make one distribution only.
      The existence of distribution in perlguitest group and on source forge
      may be the reason of confussions. As far as I understand, there is no
      significant difference between these 2 distributions. So let's make
      one distribution available at source forge. Otherwise, beginners will
      ask questions "what is the difference between this and this
      distribution", "which is better". This may also suggest that there is
      split in the community, which I hope is not the case.
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2004
        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Jacob Glide" <astonv1@h...> wrote:

        > In the tutorial, you say that NT or above is required? i run GUITest
        on my
        > Win98 box all the time, i believe there are a few things you can't
        do under
        > Win98 with GUITest, but it would be nice if you wouldn't exclude 98 all
        > together, i mean, all the samples you feature in your tutorial i can
        do on
        > my box
        >
        > --Aston

        No offence intended :)
        I don't mind mentioning Win98 in my tutorial. However, I am not that
        familiar with several versions of Windows to know what works on which
        version. I am writing about W2K and XP because I could test it. But if
        nobody minds, I can mention that the tutorial also works for Win98
        -Piotr
      • Gabor Szabo
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2004
          On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, pkaluski wrote:

          > > You might want to give simple instructions on where to get perl and
          > > how to install Win32::GuiTest, both from ActiveState using ppm
          > > and the alternate distribution from CPAN.
          > >
          > You are right. BTW, one comment. I would make one distribution only.

          I agree.
          We should just persuade Dennis to upload a new version to CPAN.

          If Ernesto and Dennis agree I'd be ready to do that.
          They just have to give me co-author rights via PAUSE.
          my PAUSE id is SZABGAB.

          First I'd upload a developer version to CPAN (with an underscore in the
          name) and then I real version.

          In any case the sourceforge project is currently the only one under (some)
          development.

          regards
          Gabor
        • Jacob Glide
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2004
            id be more than happy to test any scripts your write for tutorials for 9x
            compatibility, so you can say for sure if they work on 9x machines, btw no
            offense taken :)

            >From: "pkaluski" <pkaluski@...>
            >To: perlguitest@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [perlguitest] Re: Tutorial on basics of GUI test is available
            >Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 17:51:27 -0000
            >

            >--- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Jacob Glide" <astonv1@h...> wrote:
            > >
            > > In the tutorial, you say that NT or above is required? i run GUITest
            >on my
            > > Win98 box all the time, i believe there are a few things you can't
            >do under
            > > Win98 with GUITest, but it would be nice if you wouldn't exclude 98 all
            > > together, i mean, all the samples you feature in your tutorial i can
            >do on
            > > my box
            > >
            > > --Aston
            > >

            >No offence intended :)
            >I don't mind mentioning Win98 in my tutorial. However, I am not that
            >familiar with several versions of Windows to know what works on which
            >version. I am writing about W2K and XP because I could test it. But if
            >nobody minds, I can mention that the tutorial also works for Win98
            >-Piotr

          • Gabor Szabo
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2004
              On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Jacob Glide wrote:

              > id be more than happy to test any scripts your write for tutorials for 9x
              > compatibility, so you can say for sure if they work on 9x machines, btw no
              > offense taken :)

              While I am not the one writing the tutorials, I'd be glad if
              you tested (and patched if needed) the example scripts in the
              CVS repository:

              http://sourceforge.net/projects/winguitest/
              http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/winguitest/Win32-GuiTest/eg/

              regards
              Gabor
            • Jacob Glide
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 4, 2004
                Great! i'll have to get to trying those out right after today then :)