Re: [perlguitest] Tutorial on basics of GUI test is available

  • Gabor Szabo
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2004
      On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, pkaluski wrote:

      > Hi,
      > Have a look:
      > http://www.piotrkaluski.com/automation/gui/gui_test_tut.html

      Very nice.

      You mention a couple of "problems" but don't offer directions to solve
      them.

      You might want to give simple instructions on where to get perl and
      how to install Win32::GuiTest, both from ActiveState using ppm
      and the alternate distribution from CPAN.

      regards
      Gabor
      http://www.szabgab.com/
    • Jacob Glide
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2004
        In the tutorial, you say that NT or above is required? i run GUITest on my
        Win98 box all the time, i believe there are a few things you can't do under
        Win98 with GUITest, but it would be nice if you wouldn't exclude 98 all
        together, i mean, all the samples you feature in your tutorial i can do on
        my box

        --Aston

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2004

          > You mention a couple of "problems" but don't offer directions to solve
          > them.

          This is going to be a topic for the next tutorial...

          > You might want to give simple instructions on where to get perl and
          > how to install Win32::GuiTest, both from ActiveState using ppm
          > and the alternate distribution from CPAN.

          You are right. BTW, one comment. I would make one distribution only.
          The existence of distribution in perlguitest group and on source forge
          may be the reason of confussions. As far as I understand, there is no
          significant difference between these 2 distributions. So let's make
          one distribution available at source forge. Otherwise, beginners will
          ask questions "what is the difference between this and this
          distribution", "which is better". This may also suggest that there is
          split in the community, which I hope is not the case.
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2004
            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Jacob Glide" <astonv1@h...> wrote:

            > In the tutorial, you say that NT or above is required? i run GUITest
            on my
            > Win98 box all the time, i believe there are a few things you can't
            do under
            > Win98 with GUITest, but it would be nice if you wouldn't exclude 98 all
            > together, i mean, all the samples you feature in your tutorial i can
            do on
            > my box
            >
            > --Aston

            No offence intended :)
            I don't mind mentioning Win98 in my tutorial. However, I am not that
            familiar with several versions of Windows to know what works on which
            version. I am writing about W2K and XP because I could test it. But if
            nobody minds, I can mention that the tutorial also works for Win98
            -Piotr
          • Gabor Szabo
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2004
              On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, pkaluski wrote:

              > > You might want to give simple instructions on where to get perl and
              > > how to install Win32::GuiTest, both from ActiveState using ppm
              > > and the alternate distribution from CPAN.
              > >
              > You are right. BTW, one comment. I would make one distribution only.

              I agree.
              We should just persuade Dennis to upload a new version to CPAN.

              If Ernesto and Dennis agree I'd be ready to do that.
              They just have to give me co-author rights via PAUSE.
              my PAUSE id is SZABGAB.

              First I'd upload a developer version to CPAN (with an underscore in the
              name) and then I real version.

              In any case the sourceforge project is currently the only one under (some)
              development.

              regards
              Gabor
            • Jacob Glide
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2004
                id be more than happy to test any scripts your write for tutorials for 9x
                compatibility, so you can say for sure if they work on 9x machines, btw no
                offense taken :)

                >From: "pkaluski" <pkaluski@...>
                >To: perlguitest@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [perlguitest] Re: Tutorial on basics of GUI test is available
                >Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 17:51:27 -0000
                >

                >--- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Jacob Glide" <astonv1@h...> wrote:
                > >
                > > In the tutorial, you say that NT or above is required? i run GUITest
                >on my
                > > Win98 box all the time, i believe there are a few things you can't
                >do under
                > > Win98 with GUITest, but it would be nice if you wouldn't exclude 98 all
                > > together, i mean, all the samples you feature in your tutorial i can
                >do on
                > > my box
                > >
                > > --Aston
                > >

                >No offence intended :)
                >I don't mind mentioning Win98 in my tutorial. However, I am not that
                >familiar with several versions of Windows to know what works on which
                >version. I am writing about W2K and XP because I could test it. But if
                >nobody minds, I can mention that the tutorial also works for Win98
                >-Piotr

              • Gabor Szabo
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2004
                  On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Jacob Glide wrote:

                  > id be more than happy to test any scripts your write for tutorials for 9x
                  > compatibility, so you can say for sure if they work on 9x machines, btw no
                  > offense taken :)

                  While I am not the one writing the tutorials, I'd be glad if
                  you tested (and patched if needed) the example scripts in the
                  CVS repository:

                  http://sourceforge.net/projects/winguitest/
                  http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/winguitest/Win32-GuiTest/eg/

                  regards
                  Gabor
                • Jacob Glide
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 4, 2004
                    Great! i'll have to get to trying those out right after today then :)