Tutorial on basics of GUI test is available

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
      Have a look:
      http://www.piotrkaluski.com/automation/gui/gui_test_tut.html

      I am waiting for comments.
      The general suggestion is:
      * If you have comments on the general concepts of the tutorial, on
      what should be added, what other documents should be written - post
      your message to perlguitest group so people can take part in the
      discussion.
      * If it's about typo, wrong spelling - contact me directly.

      -Piotr
    • Gabor Szabo
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2004
        On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, pkaluski wrote:

        > Hi,
        > Have a look:
        > http://www.piotrkaluski.com/automation/gui/gui_test_tut.html

        Very nice.

        You mention a couple of "problems" but don't offer directions to solve
        them.

        You might want to give simple instructions on where to get perl and
        how to install Win32::GuiTest, both from ActiveState using ppm
        and the alternate distribution from CPAN.

        regards
        Gabor
        http://www.szabgab.com/
      • Jacob Glide
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2004
          In the tutorial, you say that NT or above is required? i run GUITest on my
          Win98 box all the time, i believe there are a few things you can't do under
          Win98 with GUITest, but it would be nice if you wouldn't exclude 98 all
          together, i mean, all the samples you feature in your tutorial i can do on
          my box

          --Aston

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2004

            > You mention a couple of "problems" but don't offer directions to solve
            > them.

            This is going to be a topic for the next tutorial...

            > You might want to give simple instructions on where to get perl and
            > how to install Win32::GuiTest, both from ActiveState using ppm
            > and the alternate distribution from CPAN.

            You are right. BTW, one comment. I would make one distribution only.
            The existence of distribution in perlguitest group and on source forge
            may be the reason of confussions. As far as I understand, there is no
            significant difference between these 2 distributions. So let's make
            one distribution available at source forge. Otherwise, beginners will
            ask questions "what is the difference between this and this
            distribution", "which is better". This may also suggest that there is
            split in the community, which I hope is not the case.
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2004
              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Jacob Glide" <astonv1@h...> wrote:

              > In the tutorial, you say that NT or above is required? i run GUITest
              on my
              > Win98 box all the time, i believe there are a few things you can't
              do under
              > Win98 with GUITest, but it would be nice if you wouldn't exclude 98 all
              > together, i mean, all the samples you feature in your tutorial i can
              do on
              > my box
              >
              > --Aston

              No offence intended :)
              I don't mind mentioning Win98 in my tutorial. However, I am not that
              familiar with several versions of Windows to know what works on which
              version. I am writing about W2K and XP because I could test it. But if
              nobody minds, I can mention that the tutorial also works for Win98
              -Piotr
            • Gabor Szabo
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2004
                On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, pkaluski wrote:

                > > You might want to give simple instructions on where to get perl and
                > > how to install Win32::GuiTest, both from ActiveState using ppm
                > > and the alternate distribution from CPAN.
                > >
                > You are right. BTW, one comment. I would make one distribution only.

                I agree.
                We should just persuade Dennis to upload a new version to CPAN.

                If Ernesto and Dennis agree I'd be ready to do that.
                They just have to give me co-author rights via PAUSE.
                my PAUSE id is SZABGAB.

                First I'd upload a developer version to CPAN (with an underscore in the
                name) and then I real version.

                In any case the sourceforge project is currently the only one under (some)
                development.

                regards
                Gabor
              • Jacob Glide
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2004
                  id be more than happy to test any scripts your write for tutorials for 9x
                  compatibility, so you can say for sure if they work on 9x machines, btw no
                  offense taken :)

                  >From: "pkaluski" <pkaluski@...>
                  >To: perlguitest@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [perlguitest] Re: Tutorial on basics of GUI test is available
                  >Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 17:51:27 -0000
                  >

                  >--- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Jacob Glide" <astonv1@h...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > In the tutorial, you say that NT or above is required? i run GUITest
                  >on my
                  > > Win98 box all the time, i believe there are a few things you can't
                  >do under
                  > > Win98 with GUITest, but it would be nice if you wouldn't exclude 98 all
                  > > together, i mean, all the samples you feature in your tutorial i can
                  >do on
                  > > my box
                  > >
                  > > --Aston
                  > >

                  >No offence intended :)
                  >I don't mind mentioning Win98 in my tutorial. However, I am not that
                  >familiar with several versions of Windows to know what works on which
                  >version. I am writing about W2K and XP because I could test it. But if
                  >nobody minds, I can mention that the tutorial also works for Win98
                  >-Piotr

                • Gabor Szabo
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 3, 2004
                    On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Jacob Glide wrote:

                    > id be more than happy to test any scripts your write for tutorials for 9x
                    > compatibility, so you can say for sure if they work on 9x machines, btw no
                    > offense taken :)

                    While I am not the one writing the tutorials, I'd be glad if
                    you tested (and patched if needed) the example scripts in the
                    CVS repository:

                    http://sourceforge.net/projects/winguitest/
                    http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/winguitest/Win32-GuiTest/eg/

                    regards
                    Gabor
                  • Jacob Glide
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 4, 2004
                      Great! i'll have to get to trying those out right after today then :)