Waiting for a button to appear

  • Dan Bennett
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2004
      Hi again,

      Another question...

      There's a window which shows a progress bar and a
      "Cancel" button. When the task is finished, the "Cancel"
      button disappears and is replaced by a "Finish" button.
      The time taken is very variable, so I don't just want
      to say "sleep 60", because a user may conclude that
      nothing's happening and would then intervene.

      How do I wait for the "Finish" button to appear?
      In other words, how do I test for the presence
      of a visible button with the text "Finish" on it?

      Thanks,
      Dan
    • Chris Hilton
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13, 2004
        Assuming the "Finish" button already exists but is hidden, you should be
        able to use FindWindowLike() to get the button's window handle and then:

        do { sleep(1); } until IsWindowVisible($button);

        Chris Hilton

        There's a window which shows a progress bar and a
        "Cancel" button. When the task is finished, the "Cancel"
        button disappears and is replaced by a "Finish" button.
        The time taken is very variable, so I don't just want
        to say "sleep 60", because a user may conclude that
        nothing's happening and would then intervene.

        How do I wait for the "Finish" button to appear?
        In other words, how do I test for the presence
        of a visible button with the text "Finish" on it?

        Thanks,
        Dan

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129rjghr2/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705006951:HM/EXP=1095080333/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
        anion.yahoo.com> click here

        :HM/A=2128215/rand=914904370>

        _____

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Dan Bennett
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 13, 2004
          Thanks Chris,

          Your hint was enough for me to figure it out.

          My questions will become less dumb as I get the hang
          of this. :-)

          Dan