finding window id

  • calltoprashant
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27 4:58 AM
      Hi,
      I am new to this module and trying out some functions. In
      FindWindowLike() function we nwwd to provide numeric id of window.
      can anybody tell me how to get these ids for my application's windows.
      Is there any tool for this?

      Thanks in advance

      ~Prashant
    • Jacob Glide
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 11, 2004
        Microsoft Spy++ will probably find your id, im not sure, it finds handles, i
        could of swore that findwindowlike() would find those if you didnt put in
        that parameter

        >From: "calltoprashant" <calltoprashant@...> Reply-To:
        >perlguitest@yahoogroups.com To: perlguitest@yahoogroups.com Subject:
        >[perlguitest] finding window id Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:58:48 -0000
        >
        >Hi, I am new to this module and trying out some functions. In
        >FindWindowLike() function we nwwd to provide numeric id of window. can
        >anybody tell me how to get these ids for my application's windows. Is there
        >any tool for this?
        >
        >Thanks in advance
        >
        >~Prashant

      • Stuart Arnold
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 12, 2004
          SPY++ is the basic one to use, however, "Winspector" does a much better
          job and its free.
          here's the link
          http://www.windows-spy.com/
          there's a lot in it, much nicer than spy++
          enjoy. (PS: I'm not the author of it)

          Microsoft Spy++ will probably find your id, im not sure, it finds
          handles, i
          could of swore that findwindowlike() would find those if you didnt put
          in
          that parameter

          >From: "calltoprashant" <calltoprashant@...> Reply-To:
          >perlguitest@yahoogroups.com To: perlguitest@yahoogroups.com Subject:
          >[perlguitest] finding window id Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:58:48 -0000
          >
          >Hi, I am new to this module and trying out some functions. In
          >FindWindowLike() function we nwwd to provide numeric id of window. can
          >anybody tell me how to get these ids for my application's windows. Is
          there
          >any tool for this?
          >
          >Thanks in advance
          >
          >~Prashant

        • Jacob Glide
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 12, 2004
            yes, ive used that before. i couldnt remember that name. last time i used it
            it was a big resource hog for me, but then again im working on a very slow
            machine

            >From: "Stuart Arnold" <stuart.arnold@...>
            >To: <perlguitest@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: RE: [perlguitest] finding window id
            >Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 15:38:31 -0400
            >
            >SPY++ is the basic one to use, however, "Winspector" does a much better
            >job and its free.
            >here's the link
            >http://www.windows-spy.com/
            >there's a lot in it, much nicer than spy++
            >enjoy. (PS: I'm not the author of it)

          • Danny R. Faught
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 14, 2004
              I recently wrote a review of MWSnap for Open Testware Reviews, and found
              that it includes a "Window Info Tool" that shows coordinates, class
              name, and handle for the windows and other objects that you point to.
              It's freeware - http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html.

              Not sure what you'd do with that kind of tool, though, since for
              automated testing you need a programmatic way to find the handle.

              By the way, I recently subscribed to this list because I'm giving a
              presentation on keyword-driven testing, and I have a simple demo using
              Win32::GuiTest. Has anyone explored interfacing a keyword tool like
              SAFS to Win32::GuiTest? These tools tend to only support commercial
              test tools like WinRunner.
              --
              Danny R. Faught
              Tejas Software Consulting