Re: edit control

  • erngui
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2002

      --- In perlguitest@y..., "gbouzas" <gbouzas@y...> wrote:
      > Is there a way to select a named edit control in order to fill it
      in
      > with the SendKeys function?
      > I´d rather prefer not using tabs after a SetForegroundWindow and
      > select directly the control to avoid errors...

      Instead of just selecting the control and typing, you can use
      WMGetText on the control directly. You'll need to get the window
      handle first using FindWindowLike. The 'eg/notepad.pl' example does
      this. Notepad is just a big edit control with a frame around it...

      Regards,
      Ernesto.
      --
      Ernesto Guisado
      mailto:erngui@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2002
        In my product code how do I name an edit box? I am using C++.

        Paul

        --- In perlguitest@y..., "erngui" <erngui@y...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > --- In perlguitest@y..., "gbouzas" <gbouzas@y...> wrote:
        > > Is there a way to select a named edit control in order to fill
        it
        > in
        > > with the SendKeys function?
        > > I´d rather prefer not using tabs after a SetForegroundWindow and
        > > select directly the control to avoid errors...
        >
        > Instead of just selecting the control and typing, you can use
        > WMGetText on the control directly. You'll need to get the window
        > handle first using FindWindowLike. The 'eg/notepad.pl' example
        does
        > this. Notepad is just a big edit control with a frame around it...
        >
        > Regards,
        > Ernesto.
        > --
        > Ernesto Guisado
        > mailto:erngui@a...
        > http://triumvir.org
      • erngui
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2002

          --- In perlguitest@y..., "paulbt2000" <pcovington@a...> wrote:
          > In my product code how do I name an edit box? I am using C++.

          It normally already has a number that identifies it (that's the
          control id). In MFC it normally is a define that looks like
          IDC_EDIT1. You can then lookup the control id in the resource.h file:

          #define IDC_EDIT1 1000

          If your dialog box has the title "Silly Example" you can use this
          code:

          my @win = FindWindowLike(0, "Silly Example");
          my @edit = FindWindowLike(shift @win, "", "Edit", 1000);
          WMSetText(shift @edit, "Whatever");

          Regards,
          Ernesto.
          --
          Ernesto Guisado
          mailto:erngui@...
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2002
            very cool, I will try that as soon as I get a chance. Thanks Ernesto.