Re: Quake Console Update Unreliable

  • coolrobd
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 20, 2004
      SendMessage is definately the way to go I feel, but how do you pass a
      letter using SendMessage, any syntax would be appreciated.

      I know you can only send one letter at a time.

      Thanks in advance!

      Rob

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "coolrobd" <coolrobd@y...> wrote:
      > I have been looking a bit more into it and think SendMessage is
      even
      > more reliable, anyone used this API function before?
      >
      > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, Chris Hilton <chilton@n...>
      wrote:
      > > You might try splitting your message into individual keypresses
      and
      > set the
      > > foreground window (or focus window?) before sending each key.
      > Something like
      > > the following if it was just regular text:
      > >
      > > foreach $letter (split(//, $text)) {
      > > SetForegroundWindow($window);
      > > SendKeys($letter);
      > > }
      > >
      > > If your text has special characters, you'll have to be a little
      more
      > > creative.
      > >
      > > Chris Hilton

      Basically

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129qihuc9/M=295196.4901138.6071305.300117

      oups/S=1705006951:HM/EXP=1090327130/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http:
      > //comp
      > > anion.yahoo.com> click here
      > >
      > > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      > M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=
      > > :HM/A=2128215/rand=913171747>
      > >

      > > _____
      > >
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > subject=Unsubscribe>

      > Service

    • Chris Hilton
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 20, 2004
        I thought about suggesting this before, but it's a good bit more
        complicated. Trying to keep it as simple as possible, I believe it would be
        something like this:

        foreach $letter (split(//, $text)) {
        $vk = getVirtualKey($letter);
        SendMessage($window, WM_KEYDOWN, $vk, 1);
        SendMessage($window, WM_KEYUP, $vk, 1);
        }

        With getVirtualKey() and looking up the constant values left as exercises
        for the reader. Note that if you want to send a two-key combination, like a
        capital letter for the following example, you'll need to send a key down
        message for the virtual shift key, send your letter, then key up the virtual
        shift key. Here's some URLs that might come in handy.

        SendMessage:
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/WinUI
        /WindowsUserInterface/Windowing/MessagesandMessageQueues/MessagesandMessageQ
        ueuesReference/MessagesandMessageQueuesFunctions/PostMessage.asp
        <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/WinU
        I/WindowsUserInterface/Windowing/MessagesandMessageQueues/MessagesandMessage
        QueuesReference/MessagesandMessageQueuesFunctions/PostMessage.asp>
        WM_KEYDOWN:
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/WinUI
        /WindowsUserInterface/UserInput/KeyboardInput/KeyboardInputReference/Keyboar
        dInputMessages/WM_KEYDOWN.asp
        <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/WinU
        I/WindowsUserInterface/UserInput/KeyboardInput/KeyboardInputReference/Keyboa
        rdInputMessages/WM_KEYDOWN.asp>
        WM_KEYUP:
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/WinUI
        /WindowsUserInterface/UserInput/KeyboardInput/KeyboardInputReference/Keyboar
        dInputMessages/WM_KEYUP.asp
        <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/WinU
        I/WindowsUserInterface/UserInput/KeyboardInput/KeyboardInputReference/Keyboa
        rdInputMessages/WM_KEYUP.asp>
        Virtual Key Codes:
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/WinUI
        /WindowsUserInterface/UserInput/VirtualKeyCodes.asp
        <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/WinU
        I/WindowsUserInterface/UserInput/VirtualKeyCodes.asp>

        I think it's a bit of overkill unless you've tried the other way and found
        it lacking, but good luck.

        Chris Hilton

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 20, 2004
          Naerly there I think - Just can't get then SendMessage to work. Do
          I need to setup the WM_KEYDOWN?

          Also getVirtialKey does not work - just wondering if you where
          expecting me to knock up the code behind it?

          Cheers for the help.

          wrote:
> [...]
          us/winui/WinUI
          > /WindowsUserInterface/UserInput/KeyboardInput/KeyboardInputReferenc
          e/Keyboar
          > dInputMessages/WM_KEYUP.asp
          > <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
          us/winui/WinU

          I/WindowsUserInterface/UserInput/KeyboardInput/KeyboardInputReference
          /Keyboa
          > rdInputMessages/WM_KEYUP.asp>
          > Virtual Key Codes:
          > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
          us/winui/WinUI
          > /WindowsUserInterface/UserInput/VirtualKeyCodes.asp
          > <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
          us/winui/WinU
          > I/WindowsUserInterface/UserInput/VirtualKeyCodes.asp>
          >
          > I think it's a bit of overkill unless you've tried the other way

        • Chris Hilton
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 21, 2004
            Yeah, that's what I meant by "getVirtualKey() and looking up the constant
            values left as exercises for the reader". You'll need to write
            getVirtualKey() to convert letters to virtual keys. You'll also need the
            constant values for WM_KEYDOWN, WM_KEYUP, and the virtual key codes (from
            winuser.h, I think) and, I would recommend, set them up as constants in your
            Perl program.

            use constant WM_KEYDOWN => <whatever>;
            use constant WM_KEYUP => <whatever>;

            Chris Hilton

            wrote:
> [...]
            > < http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
            <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en->
            us/winui/WinU

            I/WindowsUserInterface/UserInput/KeyboardInput/KeyboardInputReference
            /Keyboa
            > rdInputMessages/WM_KEYUP.asp>
            > Virtual Key Codes:
            > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
            <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en->
            us/winui/WinUI
            > /WindowsUserInterface/UserInput/VirtualKeyCodes.asp
            > < http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
            <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en->
            us/winui/WinU
            > I/WindowsUserInterface/UserInput/VirtualKeyCodes.asp>
            >
            > I think it's a bit of overkill unless you've tried the other way

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1293586lr/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705006951:HM/EXP=1090488476/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
            anion.yahoo.com> click here

            :HM/A=2128215/rand=781724395>

            _____

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • coolrobd
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 21, 2004
              Back to basic's I am afraid, I have looked into it and just can't
              figure it out, it just will not work, so now trying to get the
              calculator to accept keys, still no joy, check out the attached
              code, looks good to me, but does not work. The setting up of the
              window works great, its just the SendMessage that does not work.

              use Win32::GuiTest qw(FindWindowLike SendMessage
              SetForegroundWindow ) ;

              use constant WM_KEYDOWN => 0x0100;
              use constant WM_KEYUP => 0x0101;

              my ($hwnd) = FindWindowLike(0, "Calculator");
              print "hwnd = $hwnd\n";
              SetForegroundWindow($hwnd);
              $test = SendMessage($hwnd, WM_KEYDOWN, 0x32, 1);
              print "test = $test\n";
              $test2 = SendMessage($hwnd, WM_KEYUP, 0x32, 1);
              print "test2 = $test2\n";

              wrote:
              > Yeah, that's what I meant by "getVirtualKey() and looking up the
              constant
              > values left as exercises for the reader". You'll need to write
              > getVirtualKey() to convert letters to virtual keys. You'll also
              need the
              > constant values for WM_KEYDOWN, WM_KEYUP, and the virtual key
              codes (from
              > winuser.h, I think) and, I would recommend, set them up as
              constants in your
              > Perl program.
              >
              > use constant WM_KEYDOWN => <whatever>;
              > use constant WM_KEYUP => <whatever>;