3270 on Tandem.

  • McMahon, Chris
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2004
      Yoni ben-shlosh said:
      ##################################
      i wanted to know if anyone knows of a way to automate TN3270 and/or
      Tandem telnets (Tandem is something like a mainframe).

      i thought about using Perl::Telnet, however these telnet sessions has a
      different protocol running over the telnet.

      has anyone got any idea , or done anything like that before ?
      #################################
      Yep, I've done this, but let's clear this up first: that TN3270 is not a
      "telnet session", it's a terminal protocol. There are a couple of
      TN3270 emulators out there, but it sounds like you already have that
      part.

      I used Ascert's VersaTest product to automate some things on the Tandem
      (http://www.ascert.com/versatest.html). It's commercial, it's a
      proprietary scripting language, but as far as I know, it's the only game
      in town for Tandem. Also keep in mind that automating terminal stuff is
      *always* difficult. I automated my things by driving the requestors
      directly via PATHCOM which was far easier than trying to drive the (in
      my case) 6530 terminal directly. Also think about using TACL directly
      on the server. That's what it's for...

      I guess you could do something like IO::Socket and reverse-engineer the
      TN3270 protocols as they fly back and forth, but that seems like too
      much trouble.

      Obligatory Perl content: someone apparently once ported Perl to the
      Tandem, mostly for the regular expression engine. If anyone's ever even
      heard of rumor of how that worked out, I'd like to hear that story.
      Good luck...