edit control

  • gbouzas
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2002
      Is there a way to select a named edit control in order to fill it in
      with the SendKeys function?
      I´d rather prefer not using tabs after a SetForegroundWindow and
      select directly the control to avoid errors...

      Thanks,

      Germán
    • erngui
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2002

        --- In perlguitest@y..., "gbouzas" <gbouzas@y...> wrote:
        > Is there a way to select a named edit control in order to fill it
        in
        > with the SendKeys function?
        > I´d rather prefer not using tabs after a SetForegroundWindow and
        > select directly the control to avoid errors...

        Instead of just selecting the control and typing, you can use
        WMGetText on the control directly. You'll need to get the window
        handle first using FindWindowLike. The 'eg/notepad.pl' example does
        this. Notepad is just a big edit control with a frame around it...

        Regards,
        Ernesto.
        --
        Ernesto Guisado
        mailto:erngui@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2002
          In my product code how do I name an edit box? I am using C++.

          Paul

          --- In perlguitest@y..., "erngui" <erngui@y...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > --- In perlguitest@y..., "gbouzas" <gbouzas@y...> wrote:
          > > Is there a way to select a named edit control in order to fill
          it
          > in
          > > with the SendKeys function?
          > > I´d rather prefer not using tabs after a SetForegroundWindow and
          > > select directly the control to avoid errors...
          >
          > Instead of just selecting the control and typing, you can use
          > WMGetText on the control directly. You'll need to get the window
          > handle first using FindWindowLike. The 'eg/notepad.pl' example
          does
          > this. Notepad is just a big edit control with a frame around it...
          >
          > Regards,
          > Ernesto.
          > --
          > Ernesto Guisado
          > mailto:erngui@a...
          > http://triumvir.org
        • erngui
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2002

            --- In perlguitest@y..., "paulbt2000" <pcovington@a...> wrote:
            > In my product code how do I name an edit box? I am using C++.

            It normally already has a number that identifies it (that's the
            control id). In MFC it normally is a define that looks like
            IDC_EDIT1. You can then lookup the control id in the resource.h file:

            #define IDC_EDIT1 1000

            If your dialog box has the title "Silly Example" you can use this
            code:

            my @win = FindWindowLike(0, "Silly Example");
            my @edit = FindWindowLike(shift @win, "", "Edit", 1000);
            WMSetText(shift @edit, "Whatever");

            Regards,
            Ernesto.
            --
            Ernesto Guisado
            mailto:erngui@...
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 27, 2002
              very cool, I will try that as soon as I get a chance. Thanks Ernesto.