Re: [perlguitest] Testing application written in Java

  • Kristofer Hoch
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 25, 2004
      Gabor,
      The short answer is no. The reason is because applications written in Java are abstracted away from the host operating system. They run in the "Platform" of Java. The Java platform runs on the operating system.

      Java is both a plaftorm (similar in nature to an operating system, but it needs an OS to run) and a Programming language. Because of this, Java apps don't have to register their components with the OS, so you will never beable to use Microsoft's MSAA API (GuiTest uses some of this) to grab anything.

      HTH,
      Kristofer

      Gabor Szabo <gabor@...> wrote:

      I wonder if Win32::GuiTest can be used to test an application
      written in Java ?

      Using the mouse only to click would probably work but I tried and
      could not get the children of the main window.

      So before I go on, is GuiTest capable of doing this ?
      If not, what would you suggest ?

    • David Herron
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 28, 2004
        Can you point me to what this MSAA API is? Is it the Accessibility
        support?

        Java components have excellent support for being queried from an
        Accessibility tool.

        In any case there's a better way of testing Java applications. See:

        http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Javapedia/TestingGUIApplications

        - David Herron

        On Jun 28, 2004, at 3:40 AM, perlguitest@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Message: 1
        > Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 04:39:13 -0700 (PDT)
        > From: Kristofer Hoch <kristoferhoch@...>
        > Subject: Re: Testing application written in Java
        >
        > Gabor,
        > The short answer is no. The reason is because applications written
        > in Java are abstracted away from the host operating system. They run
        > in the "Platform" of Java. The Java platform runs on the operating
        > system.
        >
        > Java is both a plaftorm (similar in nature to an operating system,
        > but it needs an OS to run) and a Programming language. Because of
        > this, Java apps don't have to register their components with the OS,
        > so you will never beable to use Microsoft's MSAA API (GuiTest uses
        > some of this) to grab anything.
        >
        > HTH,
        > Kristofer
        >
        > Gabor Szabo <gabor@...> wrote:
        >
        > I wonder if Win32::GuiTest can be used to test an application
        > written in Java ?
        >
        > Using the mouse only to click would probably work but I tried and
        > could not get the children of the main window.
        >
        > So before I go on, is GuiTest capable of doing this ?
        > If not, what would you suggest ?
        >
        > Gabor

      • Steven Swenson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 28, 2004
          Hmm, could a java api be integrated invisibly into
          win32-gui test?

          ---------------------------------

          Gabor Szabo <gabor@...> wrote:

          I wonder if Win32::GuiTest can be used to test an
          application
          written in Java ?

          Using the mouse only to click would probably work but
          I tried and
          could not get the children of the main window.

          So before I go on, is GuiTest capable of doing this ?
          If not, what would you suggest ?

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

          Terms of Service.