How do you prevent a user from interfering with a GuiTest script?

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 14, 2004
      My experience using GuiTest with Microsoft Outlook is that the user
      can touch their mouse or keyboard during execution of the GuiTest
      script causing the intended path of the script to go off on a wild
      tangent performing menu options, etc. never intended by the script.
      How can this be prevented? Can the GuiTest script be programmed to
      disable the user's ability to send mouse and keyboard commands of
      their own (whether intentional or unintentional) until the script is
      completed?

      Eric
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 16, 2004
        This will more than likely require development effort to add into
        Win32::GuiTest. If anyone would like to contribute, great.

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <eric_hansen85@y...>
        wrote:
        > My experience using GuiTest with Microsoft Outlook is that the
        user
        > can touch their mouse or keyboard during execution of the GuiTest
        > script causing the intended path of the script to go off on a wild
        > tangent performing menu options, etc. never intended by the
        script.
        > How can this be prevented? Can the GuiTest script be programmed
        > disable the user's ability to send mouse and keyboard commands of
        > their own (whether intentional or unintentional) until the script
        is
        > completed?
        >
        > Eric
      • Stuart Arnold
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 17, 2004
          Just a thought, but its one I've done on an app that I run: disable the
          main window.
          That is, I start the process, get the app's main window id, and disable
          it.
          I don't gray it or anything else.

          wrote:
          > My experience using GuiTest with Microsoft Outlook is that the
          user
          > can touch their mouse or keyboard during execution of the GuiTest
          > script causing the intended path of the script to go off on a wild
          > tangent performing menu options, etc. never intended by the
          script.
          > How can this be prevented? Can the GuiTest script be programmed
          > disable the user's ability to send mouse and keyboard commands of
          > their own (whether intentional or unintentional) until the script
          is
          > completed?
          >
          > Eric

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1290oqhk8/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/
          D=groups/S=1705006951:HM/EXP=1087533040/A=2164331/R=0/SIG=11eaelai9/*htt
          p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183351> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=group
          s/S=:HM/A=2164331/rand=984546876>

          _____

        • coolrobd
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 19, 2004
            That is all well and good but if you where typing in the main window
            and it was disabled, surely it would stop taking input from the
            keyboard therefore loosing what you have typed.

            The problem is that you need to be able to specify the window you
            want the text to appear and not rely on the set foreground window.

            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Stuart Arnold"

            subject=Unsubscribe>

          • Michael Rabinovitz
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 25, 2004
              wrote:
              > My experience using GuiTest with Microsoft Outlook is that the
              user
              > can touch their mouse or keyboard during execution of the GuiTest
              > script causing the intended path of the script to go off on a wild
              > tangent performing menu options, etc. never intended by the
              script.
              > How can this be prevented? Can the GuiTest script be programmed
              > disable the user's ability to send mouse and keyboard commands of
              > their own (whether intentional or unintentional) until the script
              is
              > completed?
              >
              > Eric

              There is a Win32 API call named 'BlockInput' that does what I
              believe you wish to do. Here is a Perl fragment that demonstrates
              its use:

              my $blockhandle = Win32::API->new("user32", 'BOOL BlockInput(BOOL
              in)' );

              #Call 'True' to that function (i.e block physical input)
              my $block = $blockhandle->Call(1);
              print "Keyboard/mouse locked (block returned $block)\n";

              #Try moving mouse/typing now!
              sleep 15;

              #Call 'False' to the function (i.e unblock physical input)
              my $unblock = $blockhandle->Call(0);

              Good Luck
              Mike Rabinovitz