Re: Outlook Email Filter

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2004
      The reason Outlook rules wizard can not be used is because it does
      not work. I know that sounds cruel. But I attempted it without
      success, except for being able to send emails downloaded from
      specific internet email accounts to their own folders to keep them
      separate from other email accounts. You might say, "That is just your
      inability problem". Oh yea? Thanks heaps!

      Problems I had with rules wizard included emails being copied to
      folders instead of moved. The problem with this is that subsequent
      tests/rules, cause the same emails to be copied to other folders as
      well. A major issue is that rules wizard looks at the DISPLAY NAME
      instead of the email address in the TO: and FROM: and CC: and BCC:
      fields. Many emails coming in to me show a person's DISPLAY NAME
      istead of their email address, so the rule does not work except for
      those emails actually showing the email address in the TO: field.
      And each rule can basically only do one thing, although you can ask
      it to do more than one thing and you have no reason to believe it
      won't do more than one thing, except it doesn't. And Microsoft
      acknowledges a "rule" can do just "one" thing. That being the case,
      you have to create a lot of rules, and then the issue of the emails
      being copied instead of moved becomes a real problem! You get
      multiple copies of emails in your folders. It's a mess! That's my
      experience.

      This script works on Windows 2000 professional with Outlook 2002
      (i.e. Microsoft Office XP Suite). It may also work "as is" with any
      Outlook version. Just be sure to first manually test the keystroke
      sequence needed to access the "Message Options" Dialogbox and then
      tab down to the internet header field. Access the Message Options
      Dialogbox via the APP keystroke (same as right mouse clicking) a
      particular email message within the Explorer ListView on the right
      side of the window opposite the Folders TreeView. The internet header
      is higlighted when you tab into that field. So from there, an APP
      keystroke (same as mouse right click) and a Arrow Down Twice <Enter>
      should copy the contents of that field to the clipboard.

      If anyone knows how to make this script a bit more full-proof so that
      if the user decides to touch their keyboard or mouse during execution
      it does not have the potential to make the script go off course, let
      us know. It would be nice if the keyboard and mouse became inactive
      to the user during execution of a Win32::GuiTest script so that the
      intended sequence of keystrokes can't be jacked with during
      execution.

      Eric

      <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:
      > Hello Eric,
      > Should I assume that you are providing this script simply as a
      > potential example, or was there a question? Also, I'm not getting
      > feel for why simple Outlook message rules can't be used
      > exclusively. :-?
      >
      > Regards.
      >

      > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <eric_hansen85@y...>
      > wrote: