Re: [perlguitest] Documentation regarding these functions

  • Steven Swenson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
      You can look at the API documentation for many of
      those.

      --- Vinod <vinod_arappath@...> wrote:

      Can somebody help documentation regarding these
      functions.

      SetForegroundWindow
      GetDesktopWindow
      GetWindow
      GetWindowText
      GetClassName
      GetParent
      GetWindowLong
      SetFocus
      IsChild
      GetChildDepth
      GetWindowRect
      GetScreenRes
      ScreenToNorm
      NormToScreen
      SendMessage
      PostMessage
      GetCursorPos
      AttachWin
      WMSetText
      GetCaretPos
      GetFocus
      GetActiveWindow
      GetForegroundWindow
      IsWindow
      ScreenToClient
      ClientToScreen
      IsCheckedButton
      IsGrayedButton
      GetComboText
      GetComboContents
      GetListText
      GetListContents
      SetActiveWindow
      EnableWindow
      IsWindowEnabled
      IsWindowVisible
      ShowWindow

      Thanks
      Vinod.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      Terms of Service.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2004
        Hello,
        If documentation is not found in the README, most certainly you'll
        find them documentated at http://msdn.microsoft.com :-)

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Vinod" <vinod_arappath@y...>

        > Can somebody help documentation regarding these functions.
        >
        > SetForegroundWindow
        > GetDesktopWindow
        > GetWindow
        > GetWindowText
        > GetClassName
        > GetParent
        > GetWindowLong
        > SetFocus
        > IsChild
        > GetChildDepth
        > GetWindowRect
        > GetScreenRes
        > ScreenToNorm
        > NormToScreen
        > SendMessage
        > PostMessage
        > GetCursorPos
        > AttachWin
        > WMSetText
        > GetCaretPos
        > GetFocus
        > GetActiveWindow
        > GetForegroundWindow
        > IsWindow
        > ScreenToClient
        > ClientToScreen
        > IsCheckedButton
        > IsGrayedButton
        > GetComboText
        > GetComboContents
        > GetListText
        > GetListContents
        > SetActiveWindow
        > EnableWindow
        > IsWindowEnabled
        > IsWindowVisible
        > ShowWindow
        >
        > Thanks
        > Vinod.
      • wenjie wang
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2005
          <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          > If documentation is not found in the README, most certainly you'll
          > find them documentated at http://msdn.microsoft.com :-)

          That's what I thought till I encountered a compile error with
          function GetFocus();

          Win32 API has the signature of
          HWND GetFocus(void);
          while win32::guitest is expecting:
          HWND GetFocus(HWND);

          Now, my question is that how to obtain the window handle of
          currently focused window?

          Regards,
          W Wang
          +-Wenjie Wang a.k.a William -------------------------------------+
          | WANG Infonology Systems |EMail : wwang@... |
          | Phone : (02) 9871 2018 | WISeAgent2000@... |
          | Mobile: 0412 688 380 |http://users.bigpond.net.au/WISeAgent |
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 7, 2005
            A similar question was answered in this question
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perlguitest/message/664

            Except the latest GuiTest.om file the line number to change is more
            like 254. Just search for EXPORT_OK or export to find the lines.

            This tip works as I was stuck on a similar problem. It should
            probably be put in the documentation.

            -paul

            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "wenjie wang"

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 8, 2005
              GetForegroundWindow will tell you if a given window is in the
              foreground... To determine which child window of a parent has the
              input focus, you can use GetFocus($parent) from Win32::GuiTest...
              To do the same thing correctly with Win32::API would require two
              calls to AttachWin per MSDN.

              <wiseagent2000@y...> wrote:

              > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis K. Paulsen"
              > <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello,
              > > If documentation is not found in the README, most certainly
              you'll
              > > find them documentated at http://msdn.microsoft.com :-)
              > >

              > That's what I thought till I encountered a compile error with
              > function GetFocus();
              >
              > Win32 API has the signature of
              > HWND GetFocus(void);
              > while win32::guitest is expecting:
              > HWND GetFocus(HWND);
              >
              > Now, my question is that how to obtain the window handle of
              > currently focused window?
              >
              > Regards,
              > W Wang
              > +-Wenjie Wang a.k.a William -------------------------------------+
              > | WANG Infonology Systems |EMail : wwang@b... |
              > | Phone : (02) 9871 2018 | WISeAgent2000@y... |
              > | Mobile: 0412 688 380 |http://users.bigpond.net.au/WISeAgent |
              > +-------------------------+--------------------------------------+
            • Sam Sudhakar
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 9, 2005
                Hi Dennis,

                I have used both perl and VBScript/COM...for testing .
                And I personally believe that for windows GUI testing there is nothing better than VBScript/COM...U just have to write a custom component using Visual Basic which can give access to all the GUI Win32API's and there u go u can use this in ur VBScript code to give absolute control over all the windows and user interaction to those windows....and the whole thing is pretty simple...the only thing u gotta do is some research on the different win32 APIs...
                When I used perl Win32 i faced a lot of timing issues plus ofcourse I had to patch the win32 module as it didnt work with perl 5.8 and cygwin.
                By the way does anybody know if that problem is fixed yet ...

                Susruth

                <wiseagent2000@y...> wrote:

                > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis K. Paulsen"
                > <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello,
                > > If documentation is not found in the README, most certainly
                you'll
                > > find them documentated at http://msdn.microsoft.com :-)
                > >

                > That's what I thought till I encountered a compile error with
                > function GetFocus();
                >
                > Win32 API has the signature of
                > HWND GetFocus(void);
                > while win32::guitest is expecting:
                > HWND GetFocus(HWND);
                >
                > Now, my question is that how to obtain the window handle of
                > currently focused window?
                >
                > Regards,
                > W Wang
                > +-Wenjie Wang a.k.a William -------------------------------------+
                > | WANG Infonology Systems |EMail : wwang@b... |
                > | Phone : (02) 9871 2018 | WISeAgent2000@y... |
                > | Mobile: 0412 688 380 |http://users.bigpond.net.au/WISeAgent |
                > +-------------------------+--------------------------------------+

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Susruth Sudhakaran

                You are not responsible for what happens to you in life but you are definitely responsible for how you respond to it
                -------Some great Man(Not Me)

              • Wenjie Wang
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 9, 2005
                  Thanks for the info and that also confirmed my guess;) I was planing to try it out on a known application to confirm it.

                  <wiseagent2000@y...> wrote:

                  > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis K. Paulsen"
                  > <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello,
                  > > If documentation is not found in the README, most certainly
                  you'll
                  > > find them documentated at http://msdn.microsoft.com :-)
                  > >

                  > That's what I thought till I encountered a compile error with
                  > function GetFocus();
                  >
                  > Win32 API has the signature of
                  > HWND GetFocus(void);
                  > while win32::guitest is expecting:
                  > HWND GetFocus(HWND);
                  >
                  > Now, my question is that how to obtain the window handle of
                  > currently focused window?
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > W Wang
                  > +-Wenjie Wang a.k.a William -------------------------------------+
                  > | WANG Infonology Systems |EMail : wwang@b... |
                  > | Phone : (02) 9871 2018 | WISeAgent2000@y... |
                  > | Mobile: 0412 688 380 |http://users.bigpond.net.au/WISeAgent |
                  > +-------------------------+--------------------------------------+

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Wenjie Wang(a.k.a. William) wwang@...
                  WANG Infonology Systems Ph: (02)-98712018 Mobile: 0412688380
                  http://users.bigpond.net.au/WISeAgent http://www.websamba.com/wiseagent
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 9, 2005
                    Hi Sam,
                    The main reason I am interested in Win32::GuitTest is not that
                    Win32::GuiTest is fully featured, stable and fast piece of software.
                    First of all, it is not fully featured. It is stable (big reason to
                    use it) and not that slow (what kind of timing issues did you have?).
                    I am using Win32::GuiTest because:

                    * It is written in perl. Perl is a mature well known language with a
                    big community around it and tremendous, still growing set of
                    extensions. I am assuming that so is VBScript. But I am using perl
                    for a long time (because it has a characteristic which is exotic in
                    M$ world - it is trully multiplatform) so for me it is easier to
                    adopt one not-that-final extension than to learn a new language.
                    Also, perl supports unix phylosophy of building solutions from
                    smaller (mostly text oriented) blocks.

                    * It is open source, which as for me has serious implications. I have
                    written an article on why do I prefer open source tools -
                    http://www.piotrkaluski.com/writings/OS_bias.html.
                    In short - when I go into perl I do not risk that I wake up one day
                    and find out that the licensing scheme has changed "to better respond
                    to customers' needs" so I have to pay 10 times more for the license
                    and necessary upgrades.
                    And I also believe that Open Source model is more likely to deliver
                    stable, robust code than closed source teams.
                    Currently VBScript may be superior to Win32::GuiTest in the domain of
                    manipulating windows controls. But Win32::GuiTest is a young module.
                    Every piece of software needs some time to become mature. It may
                    always be a little bit behind VB in handling newest controls, but I
                    think perl Win32 modules provide enough mechanisms to work around
                    most of problems.

                    -Piotr

                    --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, Sam Sudhakar <sush_1205@y...>

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 26, 2005
                      I have a question.
                      When you automate tests of OLE enabled applications then you can do
                      it using Win32::OLE.
                      And what do you do when you want to automate testing applications,
                      which are not OLE servers but host some Activex controls (ocx).
                      How can they be handled by Perl (apart from FindWindowLike and
                      SendKeys)? How can you deal with such controls using Visual Basic?

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
                        Kind of a follow on question...

                        I tried win32::gui::AxWindow ... but it seems to try
                        to open internet explorer regardless of the program
                        app and/or clsid used to create the activex control.

                        Anyone else have this problem or a solution to it?

                        --Steven

                        wrote:

                        > Hi Dennis,
                        >
                        > I have used both perl and VBScript/COM...for testing
                        .
                        > And I personally believe that for windows GUI
                        testing there is
                        nothing better than VBScript/COM...U just have to
                        write a custom
                        component using Visual Basic which can give access to
                        all the GUI
                        Win32API's and there u go u can use this in ur
                        VBScript code to give
                        absolute control over all the windows and user
                        interaction to those
                        windows....and the whole thing is pretty simple...the
                        only thing u
                        gotta do is some research on the different win32
                        APIs...
                        > When I used perl Win32 i faced a lot of timing
                        issues plus ofcourse
                        I had to patch the win32 module as it didnt work with
                        perl 5.8 and
                        cygwin.
                        > By the way does anybody know if that problem is
                        fixed yet ...

                        Terms of Service.