Getting Window contents

  • yoni_benshlosh
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2004
      hey all,

      i am trying to make a function that will retrieve all strings inside
      a window.
      it's quite easy doing on window with "Edit" Classes, ComboBoxes, and
      etc.
      but it won't help when there are other classes, for example in
      internet explorer.

      how can i get the contents of such elements ?
      if GuiTest won't help, which Win32API functions should i look for ?

      Thanks alot.
    • Steven Swenson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
        Most strings in windows are Static Labels. I wrote a
        quick script to locate this type of information. It
        takes a Titlebar name as an argument but if you want a
        completelist of windows it is not necessary to specify
        one.

        I find this to be useful to map out windows in apps I
        wish to automate as well.

        For example an about text box might look like this:

        handle : 1901184 type:#32770 Title:About TextPad
        handle : 3670536 type:Static Title:
        handle : 655798 type:Static Title:TextPad 4.7.2 :
        32-bit Edition
        handle : 786866 type:Static Title:Copyright ⌐
        1992-2003 Helios Software Solution
        handle : 786874 type:Static Title:The Sentry
        Spelling-Checker Engine Copyright ⌐
        1993 Wintertree Software Inc.
        handle : 1966640 type:Static Title:All Rights Reserved
        handle : 1442440 type:Edit Title:
        handle : 2884220 type:Static Title:Unlicensed Copy
        (fully functional)
        handle : 1245812 type:Static Title:For Evaluation
        Purposes Only
        handle : 4391290 type:Static Title:
        handle : 2884100 type:Static Title:
        handle : 983422 type:Static Title:Disk Space:
        handle : 787346 type:Static Title:C: 67935408 KB Free
        handle : 5767894 type:Button Title:OK
        handle : 2097864 type:Button Title:Ordering
        &Information...

        --- yoni_benshlosh <yoni_benshlosh@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        hey all,

        i am trying to make a function that will retrieve all
        strings inside
        a window.
        it's quite easy doing on window with "Edit" Classes,
        ComboBoxes, and
        etc.
        but it won't help when there are other classes, for
        example in
        internet explorer.

        how can i get the contents of such elements ?
        if GuiTest won't help, which Win32API functions should
        i look for ?

        Thanks alot.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

        Terms of Service.