Driving HTML tests?

  • McMahon, Chris
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 9, 2004
      Hello...
      I'm starting a project to automate some testing of web pages. I've
      used a Perl module called SAMIE (samie.sourceforge.com) but have been unable
      to figure out how drive the elements created by the script called by an
      inline frame, i.e.:

      <iframe name="TreeView" src="TreeScript.htm" width="100%"
      height="100%" scrolling="no" marginwidth=0 marginheight=0 hspace=0
      vspace=0 frameborder=1 onFocus="HandleFocusWindow(0)"></iframe>

      I can use the GuiTest SendKeys stuff to make this work, but I would
      prefer to exercise IE directly, rather than exercise IE as a Windows GUI.
      Has anyone on the list done work like this? Have any suggestions?
      Thanks...
      -Chris

    • Gabor Szabo
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 17, 2004
        On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, McMahon, Chris wrote:

        > Hello...
        > I'm starting a project to automate some testing of web pages. I've
        > used a Perl module called SAMIE (samie.sourceforge.com) but have been
        > unable
        > to figure out how drive the elements created by the script called by an
        > inline frame, i.e.:
        >
        > <iframe name="TreeView" src="TreeScript.htm" width="100%"
        > height="100%" scrolling="no" marginwidth=0 marginheight=0 hspace=0
        > vspace=0 frameborder=1 onFocus="HandleFocusWindow(0)"></iframe>
        >
        > I can use the GuiTest SendKeys stuff to make this work, but I would
        > prefer to exercise IE directly, rather than exercise IE as a Windows
        > GUI.
        > Has anyone on the list done work like this? Have any suggestions?
        > Thanks...
        > -Chris

        This question was sent in over a month ago but if it is still relevant let
        me point you to two directions.

        One of the is WWW::Mechanize which would work on either Windows or Unix
        and is not driving any real browser.

        The other one is Win32::IE::Mechanize by Abe Timmerman.
        This is in pre CPAN state but it worked nicely in my experiments.

        It is similar to WWW::Mechanize but instead of usin LWP as its user agent
        it actually opens IE.

        I am not sure if this can help but you might want to give it a try.
        You can either ask Abe for the module or I can also send it to you
        off-list. I think Abe will love to get bug reports :-).

        Could you point us to a site that uses the above html so I can also take a
        look at it using the module.

        Gabor
      • Simon McCaughey
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 23, 2004
          -> This question was sent in over a month ago but if it is still relevant
          let
          -> me point you to two directions.
          ->
          -> One of the is WWW::Mechanize which would work on either Windows or Unix
          -> and is not driving any real browser.
          ->
          -> The other one is Win32::IE::Mechanize by Abe Timmerman.
          -> This is in pre CPAN state but it worked nicely in my experiments.
          ->
          -> It is similar to WWW::Mechanize but instead of usin LWP as its user agent
          -> it actually opens IE.

          Where is this module availabe from? A quick google provided no
          information...

          Simon
        • Gary Hawkins
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 24, 2004
            > -> The other one is Win32::IE::Mechanize by Abe Timmerman.
            > -> This is in pre CPAN state but it worked nicely in my experiments.
            > ->
            > -> It is similar to WWW::Mechanize but instead of usin LWP as
            > its user agent
            > -> it actually opens IE.
            >

            > Where is this module availabe from? A quick google provided no
            > information...
            >
            > Simon

            You could email him, looks like abeltje@....

            Let me know what you find out.

            Gary
          • ross esp
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 24, 2004
              I recommend SAMIE (and not because I'm helping on it
              ;)

              samie.sourceforge.net

              --- Simon McCaughey <simonmcc@...>
              wrote:

> [...]

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
            • Gabor Szabo
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 26, 2004
                On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Gary Hawkins wrote:

                > > -> The other one is Win32::IE::Mechanize by Abe Timmerman.
                > >
                > > Where is this module availabe from? A quick google provided no
                > > information...
                > >
                > > Simon
                > >

                > You could email him, looks like abeltje@....

                If Abe is not responding you can also send me private e-mail asking for
                the module as Abe sent it to me a couple of weeks ago.
                I just don't want to send it without a request. Send me a message
                to gabor@...

                regards
                Gabor
              • Steve DeRidder
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 29, 2004
                  Gabor Szabo <gabor@...> wrote:
                  On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Gary Hawkins wrote:

                  > > -> The other one is Win32::IE::Mechanize by Abe Timmerman.
                  > >
                  > > Where is this module availabe from? A quick google provided no
                  > > information...
                  > >
                  > > Simon
                  > >

                  > You could email him, looks like abeltje@....

                  If Abe is not responding you can also send me private e-mail asking for
                  the module as Abe sent it to me a couple of weeks ago.
                  I just don't want to send it without a request. Send me a message
                  to gabor@...

                  regards
                  Gabor

                  Just found it on CPAN

                  http://search.cpan.org/~abeltje/Win32-IE-Mechanize-0.004/
                  http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/A/AB/ABELTJE/Win32-IE-Mechanize-0.004.tar.gz

                • Steve DeRidder
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 29, 2004

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 29, 2004
                      -> If Abe is not responding you can also send me private e-mail asking for
                      -> the module as Abe sent it to me a couple of weeks ago.
                      -> I just don't want to send it without a request. Send me a message
                      -> to gabor@...
                      ->
                      -> regards
                      -> Gabor

                      He is not responding, but that is because I had not asked! I forgot (other
                      priorities just now)

                      I just sent him an email today, so I will let you know the response

                      Simon
                    • Simon McCaughey
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 30, 2004
                        > -> From: "Abe Timmerman"
                        > ->
                        > -> I just released it on CPAN this weekend, so it should be there. See also:
                        > ->
                        > -> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Win32-IE-Mechanize
                        > ->
                        > -> good luck,
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > you know I just read a post about it on cplm shortly after i sent that email
                        >
                        > Simon

                        Its already on CPAN!

                        Simon