Voting for SourceForge!

  • McMahon, Chris
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2004
      Hello...

      > I've thought about stepping in, however one of the biggest issues in
      > doing that is the lack of resources... Projects of this
      size seem to
      > be like a small dog; many people want to play with it, but hardly
      > anyone wants to look after it, feed it, etc.

      For now, I'm one of the ones just starting to play with
      it. Specifically, I am some months away from needing to use
      GUITest, and it looks like about the most promising
      application for what I'm going to need to do.
      I originally told the poll I would be a "User", but I
      just now added "Developer (Examples)" because (given enough
      time), I hope I could contribute something useful... But not
      today, unfortunately.

      > Even with that said, I would consider hosting an alternative version
      > of this project on sourceforge.net. As SourceForge would
      provide the
      > CVS access, multiple developer support w/ various responsibility
      > assignments, etc.

      I suspect that a gradual increase in interest in
      GUITest is coming. I say this because I am seeing more and
      more public discussion of a very similar project in Ruby.
      But GUITest is both more mature and more robust than what's
      happening there, so I hope to see (and maybe help bring
      about) greater interest in manipulating Windows GUIs with Perl.
      Besides the maturity of GUITest, I'd rather use Perl
      than Ruby because I also need DBI and the Perl networking
      modules, so GUITest is a natural fit.
      To conclude: I'd like to encourage you to add this to
      SourceForge (or somewhere) for 3 reasons: 1) so that existing
      information about GUITest isn't lost 2) so newbies like me
      can find it and 3) to keep the bar low for future users and
      developers, because I think they're coming.
      And I hope I can contribute more soon...
      -Chris
    • Gabor Szabo
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 16, 2004
        First, I'd like to apologise again for sending my previous mail
        so many times.

        Based on what I saw on Yahoo, new subscribers cannot post till the
        moderator approves the messages. (Maybe this means only the first
        message, I am not sure) I noticed this only after I sent all those
        copies (and actually more, that have not made to the list yet).

        After I noticed this issue I sent a message to Ernesto via
        Yahoo as he is the sole administrator of the mailing list
        (see "Memebers" link and then "Moderators" tab) and after
        a few hours I suddenly saw that some of my messages made through
        to the list.
        (This is the URL:

        I don't know if this means Ernesto read my mail and approved them
        or something else happened.

        Anyway, while I guess it is a normal precaution to have this setting
        in the mailing list it might mean new subscribers might have hard
        time to send their first messages.

        regards
        Gabor
        ps. Now I can only hope this message will get through without a
        problem.
      • Ernesto Guisado
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 17, 2004
          Hi Gabor,

          the list is moderated as precaution against spam. Sadly the side-
          effect is that I have to approve messages which means delays when
          posting...

          See this posting for the incident that made me turn the group into
          moderated:

          Cheers,
          E.