Re: [perlguitest] Notice: My probable/indefinite reprieve from this project.

  • Gabor Szabo
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15, 2004
      Hi All and specially Dennis,

      I am new to the list and while I sent already two messages for some reason
      they did not get through. Maybe this one will not make to the list
      either.

      I found out about Win32::GuiTest only recently but could already include
      it in a class where I was teaching automated testing with Perl. Everyone
      was really enthusiastic about it. It would be really sad if development of
      this project halted now.

      Dennis,
      I actually don't understand your reasoning, maybe this is due to being
      new in this list so excuse me for saying this.
      If Ernesto has indeed disappeared I think it would be the time for you
      - as probably the most suitable person - to take over the development
      of the module. At least temporarily, till Ernesto comes back.

      Gabor Szabo
    • Gabor Szabo
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 15, 2004
        On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Dennis K. Paulsen wrote:

        > Gabor,
        >
        > I've thought about stepping in, however one of the biggest issues in
        > doing that is the lack of resources... Projects of this size seem to
        > be like a small dog; many people want to play with it, but hardly
        > anyone wants to look after it, feed it, etc.

        I am not sure if this is a general issue if there is something to do of
        being on the border line of proprietary and open source software.

        For that matter I'd be really interested how many organizations are using
        it for their testing purposes and how man for other automation stuff.
        I know it is very difficult to measure but maybe this came up earlier.
        It is also interesting for me as I am trying to convince more companies
        to use it and they all would like to check who else uses it ?

        Of course this still talks about those who play with it. Not those who
        feed it.

        > Even with that said, I would consider hosting an alternative version
        > of this project on sourceforge.net. As SourceForge would provide the
        > CVS access, multiple developer support w/ various responsibility
        > assignments, etc. First, I'd like to setup a poll to determine if
        > this seems feasible.

        If that helps I can provide Subversion hosting on my own server with
        Siesta mailing list both for discussion and for the commits. [1]

        regards
        Gabor

        [1] Disclaimer: no, I don't want to take over anything here, I am just
        offering help.
      • Gabor Szabo
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 15, 2004
          I am resending this as the previous one disappeared...
          sorry if you will receive it twice.
          Gabor