New poll for perlguitest

  • perlguitest@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 15, 2004
      perlguitest group:

      Please read the latest group messages if
      your unfamiliar with why I'd be asking
      this question.

      Question:
      If an alternate distribution of
      Win32-GuiTest was housed on
      www.sourceforge.net in order to allow
      continual enhancements until Ernesto's
      return, what would your
      roll(s) most likely be (select all that
      apply)?

      o User
      o Developer (C/C++, XS)
      o Developer (Perl)
      o Developer (Documentation)
      o Developer (Examples)
      o Developer (Web)
      o Developer (Other)
      o Translator
      o Tester
      o Support Personnel
      o Package Management
      o Release Management
      o Other

      web site listed above.

      Thanks!
    • perlguitest@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 14, 2005
        perlguitest group:

        What is your opinion on module's
        interface clean up (see post 773)

        o Don't you dare! It would mean additional several man-months of work to adjust my existing code.
        o Well, do you really have to? It would mean additional 2 weeks of work to adjust my existing code.
        o I don't care. I am not using Win32::GuiTest to a significant extent.
        o Go for it! It would break my existing code but it's really worth it.

        web site listed above.

        Thanks!
      • Gabor Szabo
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 28, 2005
          On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 perlguitest@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          > perlguitest group:
          >
          > What is your opinion on module's
          > interface clean up (see post 773)

          I was wondering what would such a poll prove or why would it be useful ?

          Now after 2 weeks there are 12 votes out of the 925 members
          and out of the (hopefully) thousands of people using the module
          whom are probably not subscribed to the list.

          So while 10 out of 12 are in favor of breaking the code, the
          current maintainer is against and we have no clue if there are others
          not on the mailing list whom have other opinion.

          So what about adding a clean OOP interface to the module and keeping
          the current interface as it is ?

          Gabor

          ps.
          I have not voted
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 28, 2005
            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, Gabor Szabo <gabor@p...> wrote:
            > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 perlguitest@yahoogroups.com wrote:
            >

            > I was wondering what would such a poll prove or why would it be
            useful ?

            My goal was to find out 2 things:
            1. How many people use it
            2. What is their opinion on changing important public functions

            Can you suggest a better way of finding out this information?
            I consider download counters and number of group members to be
            indicators of limited use. Probably each of us has downloaded stuff
            to look at it and never use it again. And most of us registered to
            some group or forum just to post one question and to never come back
            again.

            > So while 10 out of 12 are in favor of breaking the code, ...

            They are not in favor of breaking the code, they are in favor of
            cleaning up the interface. You and Dennis are against changes in
            order to avoid lack of backward compatibility, which I find
            absolutely understandable. But using your "naming convention" I
            should say that you are in "favor of messy interface", which is not
            true.

            Gabor, your post was slightly emotional. Did you find asking an
            interface question so annoying or is there any other reason for your
            emotional tone?

            -Piotr
          • Gabor Szabo
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 28, 2005
              On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, pkaluski wrote:

              > Gabor, your post was slightly emotional. Did you find asking an
              > interface question so annoying or is there any other reason for your
              > emotional tone?

              Oups, sorry.
              I did not mean that way at all. Especially not the
              "in favor of breaking the code".
              That was just bad description on my part.

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 28, 2005
                --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, Gabor Szabo <gabor@p...> wrote:
                > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, pkaluski wrote:
                >
                > > Gabor, your post was slightly emotional. Did you find asking an
                > > interface question so annoying or is there any other reason for
                your
                > > emotional tone?
                >
                > Oups, sorry.
                > I did not mean that way at all. Especially not the
                > "in favor of breaking the code".
                > That was just bad description on my part.
                >
                > Gabor

                Never mind :)
                So if we are back in the cold technical tone :) I still believe that
                the poll my bring some usefull information.
                From the other hand I believe, that we should not change the existing
                interface in a way that it would break the existing code. After some
                rethought I came to conclusion that the cleanup would not add that
                significant value to justify loss of backward compatibility.
                I am more in favor of adding new functions rather then adding object
                oriented interface. The main reason is effort needed. Creating object
                oriented wrapper would require more effort than adding few functions,
                which use existing function with some additional parameter checking.
                What I mean is that in order to walk around the problem of
                PushChildButton, we can create functions PushChildButtonById and
                PushChildButtonByCaption.
                But maybe I am overestimating the effort needed for object oriented
                interface...
                -Piotr
              • perlguitest@yahoogroups.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
                  perlguitest group:

                  What is your opinion on the advanced tutorial on the
                  Win32::GuiTest (please read the tutorial carefully before
                  voting -
                  http://www.piotrkaluski.com/files/winguitest/docs/ch02s04.html
                  )?

                  o It is very complex. It has really scared me. If I need to understand it in order to use Win32::GuiTest I will look for something else
                  o It is really difficult to understand even for people profficient in Win32 API and in writing perl extensions. You should consider rethinking the text's composition
                  o Tutorial is about complex things but it they are well explained. Even people NOT profficient in Win32 API and perl can understand it.

                  web site listed above.

                  Thanks!