Re: Notice: My probable/indefinite reprieve from this project.

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15 4:26 AM
      Gabor,

      I've thought about stepping in, however one of the biggest issues in
      doing that is the lack of resources... Projects of this size seem to
      be like a small dog; many people want to play with it, but hardly
      anyone wants to look after it, feed it, etc.

      Even with that said, I would consider hosting an alternative version
      of this project on sourceforge.net. As SourceForge would provide the
      CVS access, multiple developer support w/ various responsibility
      assignments, etc. First, I'd like to setup a poll to determine if
      this seems feasible.

      Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:35:21 -0200 (GMT+2)
      From: "Gabor Szabo" <REMOVED> Add to Address BookAdd to Address Book
      To: perlguitest@yahoogroups.com
      CC: "Dennis K. Paulsen" <REMOVED>
      Subject: Re: [perlguitest] Notice: My probable/indefinite reprieve
      from this project.

      Hi All and specially Dennis,

      I am new to the list and while I sent already two messages for some
      reason
      they did not get through. Maybe this one will not make to the list
      either.

      I found out about Win32::GuiTest only recently but could already
      include
      it in a class where I was teaching automated testing with Perl.
      Everyone
      was really enthusiastic about it. It would be really sad if development
      of
      this project halted now.

      Dennis,
      I actually don't understand your reasoning, maybe this is due to being
      new in this list so excuse me for saying this.
      If Ernesto has indeed disappeared I think it would be the time for you
      - as probably the most suitable person - to take over the development
      of the module. At least temporarily, till Ernesto comes back.

      Gabor Szabo

      <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:

      > Hello All,
      >
      > First, I'd like to mention that it has been highly enjoyable for me
      > over the years to work with and help out those individuals
      > developing on or using the Win32::GuiTest package.... I'd also like
      > to thank Ernesto (module Author) and others for all of their hard
      > work on this project...
      >
      > However, due to extenuating circumstances (job, other open source
      > work, also having been unable to get a hold of Ernesto for sometime,
      > etc.); I feel that it no longer seems prudent for me to continue any
      > development efforts or assist in providing primary support for Win32-
      > GuiTest...
      >
      > There are many features that I would have loved to contribute to
      > this package, but that time will most likely never come...
      >
      > Going forward, you may feel free to email me if your particular
      > question goes unanswered in the Yahoo! group, as some of you have
      > done recently... Also, if you need a particular feature added to
      > the package, my weekend time can occasionally be reassigned provided
      > there is appropriate recompense (hardware donations may work).
      >

      > Regards,
      > Dennis K. Paulsen
      > ctrondlpaulsden@y...
    • Gabor Szabo

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 15 4:44 AM
          On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Dennis K. Paulsen wrote:

          > Gabor,
          >
          > I've thought about stepping in, however one of the biggest issues in
          > doing that is the lack of resources... Projects of this size seem to
          > be like a small dog; many people want to play with it, but hardly
          > anyone wants to look after it, feed it, etc.

          I am not sure if this is a general issue if there is something to do of
          being on the border line of proprietary and open source software.

          For that matter I'd be really interested how many organizations are using
          it for their testing purposes and how man for other automation stuff.
          I know it is very difficult to measure but maybe this came up earlier.
          It is also interesting for me as I am trying to convince more companies
          to use it and they all would like to check who else uses it ?

          Of course this still talks about those who play with it. Not those who
          feed it.

          > Even with that said, I would consider hosting an alternative version
          > of this project on sourceforge.net. As SourceForge would provide the
          > CVS access, multiple developer support w/ various responsibility
          > assignments, etc. First, I'd like to setup a poll to determine if
          > this seems feasible.

          If that helps I can provide Subversion hosting on my own server with
          Siesta mailing list both for discussion and for the commits. [1]

          regards
          Gabor

          [1] Disclaimer: no, I don't want to take over anything here, I am just
          offering help.
        • Gabor Szabo
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 15 5:15 AM
            I am resending this as the previous one disappeared...
            sorry if you will receive it twice.
            Gabor