New poll for perlguitest

  • perlguitest@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2004
      perlguitest group:

      What is your overall opinion of WinRunner?

      o Excellent
      o Good
      o Fair
      o Poor

      web site listed above.

      Thanks!
    • perlguitest@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 15, 2004
        perlguitest group:

        Please read the latest group messages if
        your unfamiliar with why I'd be asking
        this question.

        Question:
        If an alternate distribution of
        Win32-GuiTest was housed on
        www.sourceforge.net in order to allow
        continual enhancements until Ernesto's
        return, what would your
        roll(s) most likely be (select all that
        apply)?

        o User
        o Developer (C/C++, XS)
        o Developer (Perl)
        o Developer (Documentation)
        o Developer (Examples)
        o Developer (Web)
        o Developer (Other)
        o Translator
        o Tester
        o Support Personnel
        o Package Management
        o Release Management
        o Other

        web site listed above.

        Thanks!
      • perlguitest@yahoogroups.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 14, 2005
          perlguitest group:

          What is your opinion on module's
          interface clean up (see post 773)

          o Don't you dare! It would mean additional several man-months of work to adjust my existing code.
          o Well, do you really have to? It would mean additional 2 weeks of work to adjust my existing code.
          o I don't care. I am not using Win32::GuiTest to a significant extent.
          o Go for it! It would break my existing code but it's really worth it.

          web site listed above.

          Thanks!
        • Gabor Szabo
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 28, 2005
            On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 perlguitest@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            > perlguitest group:
            >
            > What is your opinion on module's
            > interface clean up (see post 773)

            I was wondering what would such a poll prove or why would it be useful ?

            Now after 2 weeks there are 12 votes out of the 925 members
            and out of the (hopefully) thousands of people using the module
            whom are probably not subscribed to the list.

            So while 10 out of 12 are in favor of breaking the code, the
            current maintainer is against and we have no clue if there are others
            not on the mailing list whom have other opinion.

            So what about adding a clean OOP interface to the module and keeping
            the current interface as it is ?

            Gabor

            ps.
            I have not voted
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 28, 2005
              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, Gabor Szabo <gabor@p...> wrote:
              > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 perlguitest@yahoogroups.com wrote:
              >

              > I was wondering what would such a poll prove or why would it be
              useful ?

              My goal was to find out 2 things:
              1. How many people use it
              2. What is their opinion on changing important public functions

              Can you suggest a better way of finding out this information?
              I consider download counters and number of group members to be
              indicators of limited use. Probably each of us has downloaded stuff
              to look at it and never use it again. And most of us registered to
              some group or forum just to post one question and to never come back
              again.

              > So while 10 out of 12 are in favor of breaking the code, ...

              They are not in favor of breaking the code, they are in favor of
              cleaning up the interface. You and Dennis are against changes in
              order to avoid lack of backward compatibility, which I find
              absolutely understandable. But using your "naming convention" I
              should say that you are in "favor of messy interface", which is not
              true.

              Gabor, your post was slightly emotional. Did you find asking an
              interface question so annoying or is there any other reason for your
              emotional tone?

              -Piotr
            • Gabor Szabo
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 28, 2005
                On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, pkaluski wrote:

                > Gabor, your post was slightly emotional. Did you find asking an
                > interface question so annoying or is there any other reason for your
                > emotional tone?

                Oups, sorry.
                I did not mean that way at all. Especially not the
                "in favor of breaking the code".
                That was just bad description on my part.

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 28, 2005
                  --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, Gabor Szabo <gabor@p...> wrote:
                  > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, pkaluski wrote:
                  >
                  > > Gabor, your post was slightly emotional. Did you find asking an
                  > > interface question so annoying or is there any other reason for
                  your
                  > > emotional tone?
                  >
                  > Oups, sorry.
                  > I did not mean that way at all. Especially not the
                  > "in favor of breaking the code".
                  > That was just bad description on my part.
                  >
                  > Gabor

                  Never mind :)
                  So if we are back in the cold technical tone :) I still believe that
                  the poll my bring some usefull information.
                  From the other hand I believe, that we should not change the existing
                  interface in a way that it would break the existing code. After some
                  rethought I came to conclusion that the cleanup would not add that
                  significant value to justify loss of backward compatibility.
                  I am more in favor of adding new functions rather then adding object
                  oriented interface. The main reason is effort needed. Creating object
                  oriented wrapper would require more effort than adding few functions,
                  which use existing function with some additional parameter checking.
                  What I mean is that in order to walk around the problem of
                  PushChildButton, we can create functions PushChildButtonById and
                  PushChildButtonByCaption.
                  But maybe I am overestimating the effort needed for object oriented
                  interface...
                  -Piotr
                • perlguitest@yahoogroups.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
                    perlguitest group:

                    What is your opinion on the advanced tutorial on the
                    Win32::GuiTest (please read the tutorial carefully before
                    voting -
                    http://www.piotrkaluski.com/files/winguitest/docs/ch02s04.html
                    )?

                    o It is very complex. It has really scared me. If I need to understand it in order to use Win32::GuiTest I will look for something else
                    o It is really difficult to understand even for people profficient in Win32 API and in writing perl extensions. You should consider rethinking the text's composition
                    o Tutorial is about complex things but it they are well explained. Even people NOT profficient in Win32 API and perl can understand it.

                    web site listed above.

                    Thanks!