Re: Sending Text to a textbox does not work

  • Ernesto Guisado
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2003
      The thread started by this message might help:

      Ernesto.
      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "shsk7203" <shsk7203@y...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I am new to this forum. I am unable to figure out why I cant seem
      > send input to the textbox in my Application. My code:
      >
      > use Win32::GuiTest qw/GetChildWindows WMSetText WMGetText
      > WaitWindowLike IsWindowEnabled PushButton SendKeys FindWindowLike
      > GetWindowText
      > GetClassName GetChildDepth GetDesktopWindow SetForegroundWindow/;
      >

      > system("C:\\Win32-GuiTest-1.50\\Powersafe\\PSActions");
      > sleep 3;
      >
      > SendKeys("admin\n");
      >
      > $title = "Powersafe Actions Configuration"; # title of window to
      > search for
      > WaitWindowLike(0, $title, 60);
      > @mywindow = FindWindowLike(0, $title);
      > foreach(@mywindow){print "Window ". sprintf "%lx\n",$_;}
      >
      > My application does open with the focus set on the first textbox,
      but
      > neither do the keys get sent, nor does anything get printed.
      >
      > Please help,
      >
      > Regards,
      > -skanitkar
    • shsk7203
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2003
        Thanks, but I'm afraid it doesnt. The app I'm testing is a simple VB
        application which uses frames.

        Replacing the app with notepad, I was able to watch the "admin\n"
        being sent. But I dont see the same in my app.

        -skanitkar

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Ernesto Guisado" <erngui@a...>

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2003
          A couple of thoughts on this:

          * Your application may be taking more then 3 seconds to load up,
          display applicable windows, and become ready for keyboard input, so
          try using WaitWindow in place of any sleep statement. Note: Notepad
          may be working with it because it is loading up in under 3 seconds
          and is ready to accept the input.

          * Double-check the parameters you are currently using for
          WaitWindowLike, because a value of 60 for the window class is
          incorrect. You may wish to use the simpler WaitWindow function
          instead: WaitWindow(TITLERX, WAIT); which makes it easier.

          * WaitWindowLike returns the first window found matching the search
          criteria, so you could use that value instead of calling
          FindWindowLike too. However, if you're also wanting to see your
          primary window's children, then you could use FindWindowLike and
          specify the value previously discussed as the window to start
          under. Outlined in the example below.

          * Also, if you want to press <Enter> using SendKeys, use '~'
          or '{ENTER}' in place of "\n"; which is actually just for CRLF.

          The following !untested! partial example (based off your code)
          includes these thoughts:

          my $title = "Powersafe Actions Configuration";

          system("C:\\Win32-GuiTest-1.50\\Powersafe\\PSActions");
          my $window = WaitWindow($title, 60);
          if (not $window) {
          die("Window not found!: $title");
          }

          # Window is loaded up, so it should be ready for input
          SendKeys("admin~"); # Send string and an <Enter>

          # Now show children (text boxes, etc.) of $window
          foreach my $child ( FindWindowLike($window) ) {
          # Show Window Ids and any readily available text (for labels,
          # text boxes, etc.)
          print sprintf("Window Id: 0x%08X Window Text: '%s'\n",
          $child, WMGetText($child));

          > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "shsk7203" <shsk7203@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > > Hi,
          > > >
          > > > I am new to this forum. I am unable to figure out why I cant
          seem
          > > > send input to the textbox in my Application. My code:
          > > >
          > > > use Win32::GuiTest qw/GetChildWindows WMSetText WMGetText
          > > > WaitWindowLike IsWindowEnabled PushButton SendKeys
          FindWindowLike
          > > > GetWindowText
          > > > GetClassName GetChildDepth GetDesktopWindow
          > SetForegroundWindow/;
          > > >

          > > > system("C:\\Win32-GuiTest-1.50\\Powersafe\\PSActions");
          > > > sleep 3;
          > > >
          > > > SendKeys("admin\n");
          > > >
          > > > $title = "Powersafe Actions Configuration"; # title of window
          > > > search for
          > > > WaitWindowLike(0, $title, 60);
          > > > @mywindow = FindWindowLike(0, $title);
          > > > foreach(@mywindow){print "Window ". sprintf "%lx\n",$_;}
          > > >
          > > > My application does open with the focus set on the first
          textbox,
          > > but
          > > > neither do the keys get sent, nor does anything get printed.
          > > >
          > > > Please help,
          > > >
          > > > Regards,
          > > > -skanitkar
        • shsk7203
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2003
            Thanks a bunch. Wonderful information.

            After a few debug tricks I just realised that the problem lies
            elsewhere. Once my Powersafe App loads, it's like the app has taken
            over. I put in a simple print("Am I printing") before and after the
            system("C:\\Win32-GuiTest-1.50\\Powersafe\\PSActions");
            and the print after does not get printed. also, the perl shell also
            stays alive till I finally close my app. Which means the script
            obviously is not done processing.

            Any thoughts?

            Regards,
            -skanitkar

          • shsk7203
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 4, 2003
              Do not know how or why, since the code is still the same, but the
              script works for me now.

              Thanks.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 4, 2003
                One other observation... When you call PSActions, you aren't use
                the Windows start command, so the system() call will wait for
                PSActions to exit before it continues. Try the following in the
                future:

                system("start C:\\Win32-GuiTest-1.50\\Powersafe\\PSActions");