Help finding Controls on a form

  • Carner, Philipp W
    Message 1 of 5 , May 21, 2003
      Message
      I am new at this so please bear with me.  I am trying to fill in a text box in one application (Remedy) with data from a Perl script.  I am having trouble determining the handle of the text box control  that I want to put the data into .  The destination form has about 100 controls on it.  The code I am testing with is just trying to read the controls is included below but does not show any of the individual controls except for whatever edit box has the focus at the time.

      Thanks for listening
      Phil Carner

      #!/usr/bin/perl
      use Win32::GuiTest qw/GetChildWindows WMSetText WMGetText WaitWindowLike IsWindowEnabled PushButton SendKeys FindWindowLike GetWindowText GetClassName GetChildDepth GetDesktopWindow SetForegroundWindow/;
      #system("start Aruser.exe");
      $title = "^PTC.*"; # title of window to search for
      WaitWindowLike(0, $title, 60);
      @remedy = FindWindowLike(0, $title);
      foreach(@remedy){print "Remedy window ". sprintf "%lx\n",$_;}
      $remedy = $remedy[0];
      @order = FindWindowLike($remedy,"FormView") ;
      foreach (@order){
       print "Input Window Found " . sprintf "%lx\n",$_;
      }
      $order = $order[0];
      @wnds = GetChildWindows($order);
      foreach(@wnds){
       $hexhandle = sprintf "%lx",$_ ;
       print "$hexhandle  Window text =" . GetWindowText($_)  ;
       print " class name =" . GetClassName($_) ;
       print "  Value = " .  WMGetText($_) . "\n";
      }

      The ouput is

      Remedy window 40574

      Input Window Found 105ec

      1061c Window text = class name =SysTabControl32 Value =

      1062e Window text =Page8 class name =AfxWnd42 Value = Page8

      1062a Window text =Page7 class name =AfxWnd42 Value = Page7

      10626 Window text =Page6 class name =AfxWnd42 Value = Page6

      10622 Window text =Page5 class name =AfxWnd42 Value = Page5

      1061e Window text =Page4 class name =AfxWnd42 Value = Page4

      105f4 Window text = class name =AfxWnd42 Value =

      10616 Window text = class name =SysTabControl32 Value =

      10618 Window text =FLIP class name =AfxWnd42 Value = FLIP

      10604 Window text = class name =SysTabControl32 Value =

      10612 Window text =API Tab class name =AfxWnd42 Value = API Tab

      1060e Window text =Oracle 11i Tab class name =AfxWnd42 Value = Oracle 11i Tab

      1060a Window text =CE Message Tab class name =AfxWnd42 Value = CE Message Tab

      10606 Window text =D1 Val Tab class name =AfxWnd42 Value = D1 Val Tab

      105f8 Window text = class name =AfxWnd42 Value =

      105f0 Window text = class name =SysTabControl32 Value =

      105f6 Window text = class name =AfxWnd42 Value =

      10600 Window text =Oracle NFO Activities class name =AfxWnd42 Value = Oracle NFO Activities

      105fc Window text =FLIP NFO Activities class name =AfxWnd42 Value = FLIP NFO Activities

      105f2 Window text = class name =AfxWnd42 Value =

      105fa Window text = class name =AfxWnd42 Value =

      d059e Window text = class name =RICHEDIT Value = sss

      Message 2 of 5 , May 30, 2003
        Hello,

        The textbox control you seek could be hiding underneath several
        child windows... So, what follows is a link to a free tool to help
        in identifying windows and their heirarchy, i.e. one just has to
        drag the pointer from this tool over the desired control/window and
        it will tell you important information:

        http://freespace.virgin.net/james.brown7/winspy.html

        This tool provides such information as the correct Window
        Caption/Title, Class, Hierarchy, etc. of the desired control. This
        information can then be utilized in conjunction with
        Win32::GUITest's FindWindowLike function to obtain the correct
        handle to the control.

        Hope this helps.

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Carner, Philipp W"

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
          Message
          I do like the enhancements this tool provides, but when I drag the icon over the text box I need the info for, there is nothing displayed.  Which is true for the other 50 or so controls on that form.  The only way I can get the info for it is to switch to the window first and click the mouse in it to give it the focus.  Then the tool with show the window information.

          I thought every control had to have a handle, but these do no appear to follow that rule.

          Help!!
          Phil

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
            I've never seen this behavior before, maybe someone else has?
            Otherwise, if you could provide more information on the application
            you are working with, maybe someone or myself can take a look too.
            By some of your output, it looks like this is an Oracle
            application?? Feel free to let us know....

            <PC210018@e...> wrote:
            > I do like the enhancements this tool provides, but when I drag the
            icon over
            > the text box I need the info for, there is nothing displayed.
            Which is true
            > for the other 50 or so controls on that form. The only way I can
            get the
            > info for it is to switch to the window first and click the mouse
            in it to
            > give it the focus. Then the tool with show the window information.
            >
            > I thought every control had to have a handle, but these do no
            appear to
            > follow that rule.
            >
            > Help!!
            > Phil

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
            7050069

            51:HM/A=1595056/R=0/SIG=124fv1soh/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitake
            nattogy
            > o?YH=3313099&yhad=1595056> Click Here!
            >
            > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
            M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupmai
            > l/S=:HM/A=1595056/rand=146705483>

            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          • Carner, Philipp W
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
              Message
              The application that exhibits this behavior is called "Remedy".  It is a big bucks application the company uses at our call center to track orders.  It does talk to Oracle 11i, but is not an Oracle application.  There must be around 50 text boxes on the form along with some tab controls.  Spy++ can get handle info on the tab controls but none of the text boxes even if they are in the tab control.  The exception is if a text box has the focus on the form.  What I am trying to do is feed an order number into one of the text boxes from a Perl script.

              Thanks for giving this some thought.
              Phil