Re: Moving from yahoo to source forge - what do you think

    Message 1 of 8 , May 12, 2007
      So far I did not get a significant feedback. All feedback I have got
      was positive. I suggest the following solution - If I don't get any
      negative feedback till the end of may I will move the forum to source
      forge. I will do it by rejecting all new posts with instructions on
      how to post a message to a new forum.

      --Piotr

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I have heard some rumors on buying yahoo by Microsoft. Maybe we should
      > consider moving the forum to source forge. After all, it seams to be a
      > natural place for a forum related to the hosted software. I am
      > currious what do you think.
      >
      > --Piotr

    • brentje
      Message 2 of 8 , May 13, 2007
        Well then let me add my 2 cents into the frey. I think the move would
        be a good idea whether MS buys Yahoo or not. It's easier to keep
        everything in one place, and from what I've seen Source Forge does a
        good job with their mailing lists and forums. Plus I'd feel more
        comfortable in the event that MS does buy Yahoo.

        # Brent

        And should we all sign with our names commented out in the language of
        our choice? Because I kinda like that.

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@...> wrote:

        > So far I did not get a significant feedback. All feedback I have got
        > was positive. I suggest the following solution - If I don't get any
        > negative feedback till the end of may I will move the forum to source
        > forge. I will do it by rejecting all new posts with instructions on
        > how to post a message to a new forum.
        >
        > --Piotr

      • Octavian Rasnita
        Message 3 of 8 , May 13, 2007
          I hope I am not doing something bad if I ask... Why the list should be moved on another server if Yahoo will be owned by MS?
          Why not using MS's resources for having a mailing list?

          What's the "risk"?

          Octavian

          Message 4 of 8 , May 13, 2007
            This is a very good question.
            Firstly, there is a logistic reason, which was well summarized by
            Brent in his post. Since Win32::GuiTest code is hosted on source
            forge, it seams to be logical to have discussion forums there.

            Secondly Microsoft loves changing things. From time to time I need to
            write some code in Win API. So I visit their web page to get current
            compilers and other tools. And I always find out, that there is a new
            sturcture of SDKs, and getting what I want for free (which used to be
            free) becomes more and more difficult.

            Thirdly, I don't expect them to care to much about making their sites
            work well with any browser which is not IE.

            --Piotr

            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@...>