Re: [perlguitest] Moving from yahoo to source forge - what do you think

  • sujit apte
    Message 1 of 8 , May 11, 2007
      Hi Piotr,

      I think this fantastic utility should not be owned by
      M$. Also there is no point in taking this risk.
      Sourceforge is best option.

      Cheers,

      ~Sujit

      ____________________________________________________________________________________Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
      http://farechase.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 8 , May 12, 2007
        So far I did not get a significant feedback. All feedback I have got
        was positive. I suggest the following solution - If I don't get any
        negative feedback till the end of may I will move the forum to source
        forge. I will do it by rejecting all new posts with instructions on
        how to post a message to a new forum.

        --Piotr

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I have heard some rumors on buying yahoo by Microsoft. Maybe we should
        > consider moving the forum to source forge. After all, it seams to be a
        > natural place for a forum related to the hosted software. I am
        > currious what do you think.
        >
        > --Piotr

      • brentje
        Message 3 of 8 , May 13, 2007
          Well then let me add my 2 cents into the frey. I think the move would
          be a good idea whether MS buys Yahoo or not. It's easier to keep
          everything in one place, and from what I've seen Source Forge does a
          good job with their mailing lists and forums. Plus I'd feel more
          comfortable in the event that MS does buy Yahoo.

          # Brent

          And should we all sign with our names commented out in the language of
          our choice? Because I kinda like that.

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@...> wrote:

          > So far I did not get a significant feedback. All feedback I have got
          > was positive. I suggest the following solution - If I don't get any
          > negative feedback till the end of may I will move the forum to source
          > forge. I will do it by rejecting all new posts with instructions on
          > how to post a message to a new forum.
          >
          > --Piotr

        • Octavian Rasnita
          Message 4 of 8 , May 13, 2007
            I hope I am not doing something bad if I ask... Why the list should be moved on another server if Yahoo will be owned by MS?
            Why not using MS's resources for having a mailing list?

            What's the "risk"?

            Octavian

            Message 5 of 8 , May 13, 2007
              This is a very good question.
              Firstly, there is a logistic reason, which was well summarized by
              Brent in his post. Since Win32::GuiTest code is hosted on source
              forge, it seams to be logical to have discussion forums there.

              Secondly Microsoft loves changing things. From time to time I need to
              write some code in Win API. So I visit their web page to get current
              compilers and other tools. And I always find out, that there is a new
              sturcture of SDKs, and getting what I want for free (which used to be
              free) becomes more and more difficult.

              Thirdly, I don't expect them to care to much about making their sites
              work well with any browser which is not IE.

              --Piotr

              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@...>