re: [perlguitest] Moving from yahoo to source forge - what do you think

  • Kristian Karl
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2007
      Excellent idea. I think that is a good thing to do.
      /Kristian

      Message 2 of 8 , May 11, 2007
        Hi Piotr,

        I think this fantastic utility should not be owned by
        M$. Also there is no point in taking this risk.
        Sourceforge is best option.

        Cheers,

        ~Sujit

        ____________________________________________________________________________________Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
        http://farechase.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 8 , May 12, 2007
          So far I did not get a significant feedback. All feedback I have got
          was positive. I suggest the following solution - If I don't get any
          negative feedback till the end of may I will move the forum to source
          forge. I will do it by rejecting all new posts with instructions on
          how to post a message to a new forum.

          --Piotr

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I have heard some rumors on buying yahoo by Microsoft. Maybe we should
          > consider moving the forum to source forge. After all, it seams to be a
          > natural place for a forum related to the hosted software. I am
          > currious what do you think.
          >
          > --Piotr

        • brentje
          Message 4 of 8 , May 13, 2007
            Well then let me add my 2 cents into the frey. I think the move would
            be a good idea whether MS buys Yahoo or not. It's easier to keep
            everything in one place, and from what I've seen Source Forge does a
            good job with their mailing lists and forums. Plus I'd feel more
            comfortable in the event that MS does buy Yahoo.

            # Brent

            And should we all sign with our names commented out in the language of
            our choice? Because I kinda like that.

            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@...> wrote:

            > So far I did not get a significant feedback. All feedback I have got
            > was positive. I suggest the following solution - If I don't get any
            > negative feedback till the end of may I will move the forum to source
            > forge. I will do it by rejecting all new posts with instructions on
            > how to post a message to a new forum.
            >
            > --Piotr

          • Octavian Rasnita
            Message 5 of 8 , May 13, 2007
              I hope I am not doing something bad if I ask... Why the list should be moved on another server if Yahoo will be owned by MS?
              Why not using MS's resources for having a mailing list?

              What's the "risk"?

              Octavian

              Message 6 of 8 , May 13, 2007
                This is a very good question.
                Firstly, there is a logistic reason, which was well summarized by
                Brent in his post. Since Win32::GuiTest code is hosted on source
                forge, it seams to be logical to have discussion forums there.

                Secondly Microsoft loves changing things. From time to time I need to
                write some code in Win API. So I visit their web page to get current
                compilers and other tools. And I always find out, that there is a new
                sturcture of SDKs, and getting what I want for free (which used to be
                free) becomes more and more difficult.

                Thirdly, I don't expect them to care to much about making their sites
                work well with any browser which is not IE.

                --Piotr

                --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@...>