Re: [perlguitest] Moving from yahoo to source forge - what do you think

  • gayle noble
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2007
      If Microsoft buys Yahoo I think it would be a good idea to move the
      forum. I am not pleased with their code that calls home whether you
      want it to or not. I fear they will put something in the code to
      attempt to track everything. I don't trust 'em
      gayle

      At 12:25 PM 5/6/2007, you wrote:

      >Hi,
      >I have heard some rumors on buying yahoo by Microsoft. Maybe we should
      >consider moving the forum to source forge. After all, it seams to be a
      >natural place for a forum related to the hosted software. I am
      >currious what do you think.
      >
      >--Piotr

    • Kristian Karl
      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2007
        Excellent idea. I think that is a good thing to do.
        /Kristian

        Message 3 of 8 , May 11, 2007
          Hi Piotr,

          I think this fantastic utility should not be owned by
          M$. Also there is no point in taking this risk.
          Sourceforge is best option.

          Cheers,

          ~Sujit

          ____________________________________________________________________________________Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
          http://farechase.yahoo.com/
          Message 4 of 8 , May 12, 2007
            So far I did not get a significant feedback. All feedback I have got
            was positive. I suggest the following solution - If I don't get any
            negative feedback till the end of may I will move the forum to source
            forge. I will do it by rejecting all new posts with instructions on
            how to post a message to a new forum.

            --Piotr

            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I have heard some rumors on buying yahoo by Microsoft. Maybe we should
            > consider moving the forum to source forge. After all, it seams to be a
            > natural place for a forum related to the hosted software. I am
            > currious what do you think.
            >
            > --Piotr

          • brentje
            Message 5 of 8 , May 13, 2007
              Well then let me add my 2 cents into the frey. I think the move would
              be a good idea whether MS buys Yahoo or not. It's easier to keep
              everything in one place, and from what I've seen Source Forge does a
              good job with their mailing lists and forums. Plus I'd feel more
              comfortable in the event that MS does buy Yahoo.

              # Brent

              And should we all sign with our names commented out in the language of
              our choice? Because I kinda like that.

              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@...> wrote:

              > So far I did not get a significant feedback. All feedback I have got
              > was positive. I suggest the following solution - If I don't get any
              > negative feedback till the end of may I will move the forum to source
              > forge. I will do it by rejecting all new posts with instructions on
              > how to post a message to a new forum.
              >
              > --Piotr

            • Octavian Rasnita
              Message 6 of 8 , May 13, 2007
                I hope I am not doing something bad if I ask... Why the list should be moved on another server if Yahoo will be owned by MS?
                Why not using MS's resources for having a mailing list?

                What's the "risk"?

                Octavian

                Message 7 of 8 , May 13, 2007
                  This is a very good question.
                  Firstly, there is a logistic reason, which was well summarized by
                  Brent in his post. Since Win32::GuiTest code is hosted on source
                  forge, it seams to be logical to have discussion forums there.

                  Secondly Microsoft loves changing things. From time to time I need to
                  write some code in Win API. So I visit their web page to get current
                  compilers and other tools. And I always find out, that there is a new
                  sturcture of SDKs, and getting what I want for free (which used to be
                  free) becomes more and more difficult.

                  Thirdly, I don't expect them to care to much about making their sites
                  work well with any browser which is not IE.

                  --Piotr

                  --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@...>