Moving from yahoo to source forge - what do you think

    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2007
      I have heard some rumors on buying yahoo by Microsoft. Maybe we should
      consider moving the forum to source forge. After all, it seams to be a
      natural place for a forum related to the hosted software. I am
      currious what do you think.

      --Piotr
    • gayle noble
      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2007
        If Microsoft buys Yahoo I think it would be a good idea to move the
        forum. I am not pleased with their code that calls home whether you
        want it to or not. I fear they will put something in the code to
        attempt to track everything. I don't trust 'em
        gayle

        At 12:25 PM 5/6/2007, you wrote:

        >Hi,
        >I have heard some rumors on buying yahoo by Microsoft. Maybe we should
        >consider moving the forum to source forge. After all, it seams to be a
        >natural place for a forum related to the hosted software. I am
        >currious what do you think.
        >
        >--Piotr

      • Kristian Karl
        Message 3 of 8 , May 6, 2007
          Excellent idea. I think that is a good thing to do.
          /Kristian

          Message 4 of 8 , May 11, 2007
            Hi Piotr,

            I think this fantastic utility should not be owned by
            M$. Also there is no point in taking this risk.
            Sourceforge is best option.

            Cheers,

            ~Sujit

            ____________________________________________________________________________________Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
            http://farechase.yahoo.com/
            Message 5 of 8 , May 12, 2007
              So far I did not get a significant feedback. All feedback I have got
              was positive. I suggest the following solution - If I don't get any
              negative feedback till the end of may I will move the forum to source
              forge. I will do it by rejecting all new posts with instructions on
              how to post a message to a new forum.

              --Piotr

              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              > I have heard some rumors on buying yahoo by Microsoft. Maybe we should
              > consider moving the forum to source forge. After all, it seams to be a
              > natural place for a forum related to the hosted software. I am
              > currious what do you think.
              >
              > --Piotr

            • brentje
              Message 6 of 8 , May 13, 2007
                Well then let me add my 2 cents into the frey. I think the move would
                be a good idea whether MS buys Yahoo or not. It's easier to keep
                everything in one place, and from what I've seen Source Forge does a
                good job with their mailing lists and forums. Plus I'd feel more
                comfortable in the event that MS does buy Yahoo.

                # Brent

                And should we all sign with our names commented out in the language of
                our choice? Because I kinda like that.

                --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@...> wrote:

                > So far I did not get a significant feedback. All feedback I have got
                > was positive. I suggest the following solution - If I don't get any
                > negative feedback till the end of may I will move the forum to source
                > forge. I will do it by rejecting all new posts with instructions on
                > how to post a message to a new forum.
                >
                > --Piotr

              • Octavian Rasnita
                Message 7 of 8 , May 13, 2007
                  I hope I am not doing something bad if I ask... Why the list should be moved on another server if Yahoo will be owned by MS?
                  Why not using MS's resources for having a mailing list?

                  What's the "risk"?

                  Octavian

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 13, 2007
                    This is a very good question.
                    Firstly, there is a logistic reason, which was well summarized by
                    Brent in his post. Since Win32::GuiTest code is hosted on source
                    forge, it seams to be logical to have discussion forums there.

                    Secondly Microsoft loves changing things. From time to time I need to
                    write some code in Win API. So I visit their web page to get current
                    compilers and other tools. And I always find out, that there is a new
                    sturcture of SDKs, and getting what I want for free (which used to be
                    free) becomes more and more difficult.

                    Thirdly, I don't expect them to care to much about making their sites
                    work well with any browser which is not IE.

                    --Piotr

                    --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@...>