Re: List View header control

  • jonnyroberts1978
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007
      Looking at this link:

      http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/common/messages/wm_notify.asp

      it states "For Windows 2000 and later systems, the WM_NOTIFY message
      cannot be sent between processes".

      http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/listview/notifications/nm_rclick_listview.asp

      > > > I've been testing out the code you sent, plus looking up the various
      > > > messages and structures for ListView. Everything I try doesn't seem
      > > > to do anything. I'm using WinSpector to watch the messages, and
      > > > nothing comes up whenever I run the code. The only thing that gets
      > > > called in the LVM_GETHEADER SendMessage. Whenever I manually
      click a
      > > > lot of messages are sent to both the ListView and it's header. But
      > > > the Notify message doesn't get caught by the ListView or the
      header.
      > > > I'm not sure whatelse to do. But I have come up with a
      workaround at
      > > > least. All it does it get the column widths of all the columns
      up to
      > > > the column you want and adds that to the left X value from
      > > > GetWindowRect for the ListView header. It's cheating, but it works.
      > > >
      > > > $ListView is the HWND for the ListView object.
      > > >
      > > > #get the current mouse location.
      > > > my ($x, $y) = GetCursorPos();
      > > >
      > > > #this is the index of the column we want
      > > > my $index = 2;
      > > >
      > > > #to store the coordinate offset
      > > > my $Offset = 0;
      > > >
      > > > my $i = 0;
      > > >
      > > > #Get the header control Commctrl.h LVM_GETHEADER
      > > > my $Header = SendMessage( $ListView, 0x1000 + 31, 0, 0 );
      > > >
      > > > #loop through until we get to the column we want, adding up the
      widths
      > > > as we go.
      > > > for($i = 0; $i < $i_index; $i++)
      > > > {
      > > > #0x1000 + 29 is the message for LVM_GETCOLUMNWIDTH
      > > > $Offset += SendMessage( $ListView, 0x1000 + 29, 0, 0 );
      > > > }
      > > >
      > > > #Get the RECT coordinates of the header.
      > > > #We only need to deal with the top left-hand corner.
      > > > my ($leftx, $topy, undef, undef) = GetWindowRect( $Header );
      > > >
      > > > #Add the offset to the left X coordinate, plus a 10 pixel buffer.
      > > > $leftx = $leftx + $Offset + 10;
      > > >
      > > > #Move the mouse and click...
      > > > MouseMoveAbsPix($leftx, $topy + 5);
      > > > SendMouse("{LEFTCLICK}");
      > > >
      > > > #Move the mouse back to where it was, just in case.
      > > > MouseMoveAbsPix($x, $y);
      > > >
      > > > I'll try to work on the Notify messaging a little more, because it
      > > > would be handy to figure out...
      > > >
      > > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "jonnyroberts1978"

      > value?

      'P',$test_hdr_buf));

      > > > $test_hdr_buf_ptr);

      > where it

      > populate.
      POINT is a

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007
        Finally got it working.

        For some reason I had to use PostMessage rather then SendMessage. Also
        I think the reason it was crashing before was because the memory I
        was using was allocated outside the scop of the list control so I had
        to use allocate virtual buffer etc.

        The other problem was with the nmhdr structure, this is an instance
        rather then a pointer to another structure.

        my $action = pack( "l l",
        0, #ptaction.x
        0 #ptaction.y
        );

        my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));

        my $str_buf = pack( "L L L l l L L L L l",
        $keysList, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
        GetWindowID( $keysList ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
        LVN_COLUMNCLICK ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
        -1, #item
        1, #sub item
        0, #uNewState
        0, #uOldState
        0, #uChanged
        $action_ptr, #action
        0 #lparam
        );

        my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $keysList, 500 );
        WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );

        my $value = PostMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(
        $keysList ), $lvitem->{ 'ptr' });
        FreeVirtualBuffer( $lvitem );

        Thanks for your help.

        Regards
        Jon

        <jonnyroberts1978@...> wrote:

        > Looking at this link:

        http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/common/messages/wm_notify.asp

        > it states "For Windows 2000 and later systems, the WM_NOTIFY message
        > cannot be sent between processes".
        >
        > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "brentje" <brentje@> wrote:
        > >
        > > PostMessage crashes things, eh? I haven't tried it before since I
        > > thought the only difference would be that it doesn't return anything.
        > > But I just tried it now and got a notify message to the ListView
        > > object. This is good. This gives me hope. I'll play around with
        > > that today.
        > >
        > > Oh...and I just realised, I don't think the workaround even needs to
        > > deal with the header. Just do the GetWindowRect on the ListView
        > > itself and that should work.
        > >
        > > Brent
        > >
        > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "jonnyroberts1978"
        > > <jonnyroberts1978@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Thankyou very much for your help I will go with your work around for
        > > now.
        > > >
        > > > It is strange that the PostMessage seems to cause a crash but the
        > > > SendMessage doesn't do anything.
        > > >
        > > > I hadn't come across win spector before it looks like a very usefull
        > > tool!
        > > >
        > > > Regards
        > > > Jon

        > in the

        > message
        > won't

        http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/listview/notifications/nm_rclick_listview.asp

        > click a
        But
        > header.
        > workaround at
        > up to

        > widths

        NM_RCLICK

        > handle the
        > > value?

        > which

        > 'P',$test_hdr_buf));

        > > where it

        > > populate.
        > POINT is a

        > > > Most of C

        > got any
        > > > below.

      • brentje
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007
          So that's how you're suppose to create the struct. That's good to know,
          thanks.

          The funny thing is that I now see the notify message with WinSpector,
          with the proper code (LVN_COLUMNCLICK). But nothing happens. Unless
          I put a wait-state anywhere in the code, then it crashes Windows
          Explorer almost every shot with the debug message "Access violation
          reading location...". I'm using the vitual buffer though, so I don't
          know why I'd be getting that particular error. I wonder if this is
          from the fact that Win2k doesn't allow notify messages between
          processes? It seems odd that I'd still see the notify message come up
          in WinSpector though.

          On the bright side, I noticed that when I crashed Windows Explorer, it
          reloads the taskbar. When it reloads, it puts the application icons
          in the same order as the current z-order, not in the order they were
          opened. I've always wanted to be able to move those icons around. I
          like having Outlook as the first application on the taskbar. I think
          I'm going to try exploiting this...

          Thanks

          <jonnyroberts1978@...> wrote:

          > Finally got it working.
          >
          > For some reason I had to use PostMessage rather then SendMessage. Also
          > I think the reason it was crashing before was because the memory I
          > was using was allocated outside the scop of the list control so I had
          > to use allocate virtual buffer etc.
          >
          > The other problem was with the nmhdr structure, this is an instance
          > rather then a pointer to another structure.
          >
          > my $action = pack( "l l",
          > 0, #ptaction.x
          > 0 #ptaction.y
          > );
          >
          > my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));
          >
          > my $str_buf = pack( "L L L l l L L L L l",
          > $keysList, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
          > GetWindowID( $keysList ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
          > LVN_COLUMNCLICK ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
          > -1, #item
          > 1, #sub item
          > 0, #uNewState
          > 0, #uOldState
          > 0, #uChanged
          > $action_ptr, #action
          > 0 #lparam
          > );
          >
          > my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $keysList, 500 );
          > WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );
          >
          > my $value = PostMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(
          > $keysList ), $lvitem->{ 'ptr' });
          > FreeVirtualBuffer( $lvitem );
          >
          > Thanks for your help.
          >
          > Regards
          > Jon

        • jonnyroberts1978
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
            Thats strange I am using XP and just tried to run the script and it
            sent the message correctly and didn't crash.

            If I can find a 2K system around here I will try it on that.

            I wonder if it could be a problem with the explorer window not
            responding to the message until after the script has ended, therefore
            the memory that was allocated might have been cleaned up?

          • jonnyroberts1978
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
              This code works on XP & 2K had to use the HDN_ITEMCLICKW message as
              explorer didn't seem to respond to LVN_COLUMNCLICK.

              The message is sent to the list but in the structure I used the handle
              of the header control.

              sub WM_NOTIFY {0x004E};
              sub HDN_ITEMCLICKW {-322};
              sub LVN_COLUMNCLICK {-108};
              sub NM_RCLICK {-5};

              my $fgWindow = WaitWindowLike(undef, "My Computer", "CabinetWClass\$",
              undef, 3,30);
              SetForegroundWindow($fgWindow);

              ok( $fgWindow != 0, "Testing the main application started" );

              my @windows = FindWindowLike($fgWindow, undef, "SysListView32\$",
              undef, 8) ;

              foreach my $theList ( @windows ) {
              if( IsWindowVisible( $theList ) )
              {
              #Get the header control Commctrl.h LVM_GETHEADER
              my $header = SendMessage( $theList, 0x1000 + 31, 0, 0 );

              #Make sure we have the header
              if($header != 0)
              {
              my $str_buf = pack( "LLLLLL",
              $header, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
              GetWindowID( $header ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
              HDN_ITEMCLICKW ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
              0,
              0,
              0);

              my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $header, 500 );
              WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );

              my $value = PostMessage( $theList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(
              $theList ), $lvitem->{ 'ptr' });
              sleep(1);
              FreeVirtualBuffer( $lvitem );

              <jonnyroberts1978@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > rather then a pointer to another structure.
              > > >
              > > > my $action = pack( "l l",
              > > > 0, #ptaction.x
              > > > 0 #ptaction.y
              > > > );
              > > >
              > > > my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));
              > > >
              > > > my $str_buf = pack( "L L L l l L L L L l",
              > > > $keysList, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
              > > > GetWindowID( $keysList ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
              > > > LVN_COLUMNCLICK ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
              > > > -1, #item
              > > > 1, #sub item
              > > > 0, #uNewState
              > > > 0, #uOldState
              > > > 0, #uChanged
              > > > $action_ptr, #action
              > > > 0 #lparam
              > > > );
              > > >
              > > > my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $keysList, 500 );
              > > > WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );
              > > >
              > > > my $value = PostMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(

            • brentje
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                Excellent...I got it working. Works beautifully actually. My problem
                was that I needed to put a wait-state in between the PostMessage and
                the FreeVirtualBuffer. I guess it was destroying the struct before it
                was used by Explorer. Now that I know what I'm doing, I'm going to
                play with this more. See if I can clean up some of my code. Thanks
                for the help.

                Brent

                Wait...how'd this go from you asking a question to you helping me?