Re: List View header control

  • brentje
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2 6:12 AM
      PostMessage crashes things, eh? I haven't tried it before since I
      thought the only difference would be that it doesn't return anything.
      But I just tried it now and got a notify message to the ListView
      object. This is good. This gives me hope. I'll play around with
      that today.

      Oh...and I just realised, I don't think the workaround even needs to
      deal with the header. Just do the GetWindowRect on the ListView
      itself and that should work.

      Brent

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "jonnyroberts1978"

      http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/listview/notifications/nm_rclick_listview.asp

> [...]
      > > called in the LVM_GETHEADER SendMessage. Whenever I manually click a
      > > lot of messages are sent to both the ListView and it's header. But
      > > the Notify message doesn't get caught by the ListView or the header.
      > > I'm not sure whatelse to do. But I have come up with a workaround at
      > > least. All it does it get the column widths of all the columns up to
      > > the column you want and adds that to the left X value from
      > > GetWindowRect for the ListView header. It's cheating, but it works.
      > >
      > > $ListView is the HWND for the ListView object.
      > >
      > > #get the current mouse location.
      > > my ($x, $y) = GetCursorPos();
      > >
      > > #this is the index of the column we want
      > > my $index = 2;
      > >
      > > #to store the coordinate offset
      > > my $Offset = 0;
      > >
      > > my $i = 0;
      > >
      > > #Get the header control Commctrl.h LVM_GETHEADER
      > > my $Header = SendMessage( $ListView, 0x1000 + 31, 0, 0 );
      > >
      > > #loop through until we get to the column we want, adding up the widths
      > > as we go.
      > > for($i = 0; $i < $i_index; $i++)
      > > {
      > > #0x1000 + 29 is the message for LVM_GETCOLUMNWIDTH
      > > $Offset += SendMessage( $ListView, 0x1000 + 29, 0, 0 );
      > > }
      > >
      > > #Get the RECT coordinates of the header.
      > > #We only need to deal with the top left-hand corner.
      > > my ($leftx, $topy, undef, undef) = GetWindowRect( $Header );
      > >
      > > #Add the offset to the left X coordinate, plus a 10 pixel buffer.
      > > $leftx = $leftx + $Offset + 10;
      > >
      > > #Move the mouse and click...
      > > MouseMoveAbsPix($leftx, $topy + 5);
      > > SendMouse("{LEFTCLICK}");
      > >
      > > #Move the mouse back to where it was, just in case.
      > > MouseMoveAbsPix($x, $y);
      > >
      > > I'll try to work on the Notify messaging a little more, because it
      > > would be handy to figure out...
      > >
      > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "jonnyroberts1978"
      > > <jonnyroberts1978@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I have managed to break my problem down slightly and found message
      > > > that sends only NMHDR part of the structure. This is the NM_RCLICK
      > > > message.
      > > >
      > > > Looking at the NMHDR structure I don't understand how to handle the
      > > > HWND member of the structure it appears to be more then a long
      value?

      > > > I have attached a simpler form of the code which again doesn't do
      > > > anything, unless a change the SendMessage to a PostMessage in which
      > > > case the application crashes trying to decode the NMHDR structure.
      > > >
      > > > sub NM_RCLICK {-5};
      > > > sub WM_NOTIFY {0x4E};
      > > >
      > > > my $hwnd = pack( "LL",
      > > >
      > > > 0 #nmh.hdr.idFrom
      > > > );
      > > > my $hwnd_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$hwnd));
      > > >
      > > > my $test_hdr_buf = pack( "LLL",
      > > > $hwnd_ptr, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
      > > > 0x3E8, #nmh.hdr.idFrom
      > > > NM_RCLICK #nmh.hdr.code Code
      > > > );
      > > >
      > > > my $test_hdr_buf_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$test_hdr_buf));
      > > >
      > > > my $value = SendMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, 0,

    • jonnyroberts1978
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 6 6:08 AM
        Looking at this link:

        http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/common/messages/wm_notify.asp

        it states "For Windows 2000 and later systems, the WM_NOTIFY message
        cannot be sent between processes".

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 6 6:52 AM
          Finally got it working.

          For some reason I had to use PostMessage rather then SendMessage. Also
          I think the reason it was crashing before was because the memory I
          was using was allocated outside the scop of the list control so I had
          to use allocate virtual buffer etc.

          The other problem was with the nmhdr structure, this is an instance
          rather then a pointer to another structure.

          my $action = pack( "l l",
          0, #ptaction.x
          0 #ptaction.y
          );

          my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));

          my $str_buf = pack( "L L L l l L L L L l",
          $keysList, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
          GetWindowID( $keysList ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
          LVN_COLUMNCLICK ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
          -1, #item
          1, #sub item
          0, #uNewState
          0, #uOldState
          0, #uChanged
          $action_ptr, #action
          0 #lparam
          );

          my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $keysList, 500 );
          WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );

          my $value = PostMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(
          $keysList ), $lvitem->{ 'ptr' });
          FreeVirtualBuffer( $lvitem );

          Thanks for your help.

          Regards
          Jon

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 6 10:01 AM
            So that's how you're suppose to create the struct. That's good to know,
            thanks.

            The funny thing is that I now see the notify message with WinSpector,
            with the proper code (LVN_COLUMNCLICK). But nothing happens. Unless
            I put a wait-state anywhere in the code, then it crashes Windows
            Explorer almost every shot with the debug message "Access violation
            reading location...". I'm using the vitual buffer though, so I don't
            know why I'd be getting that particular error. I wonder if this is
            from the fact that Win2k doesn't allow notify messages between
            processes? It seems odd that I'd still see the notify message come up
            in WinSpector though.

            On the bright side, I noticed that when I crashed Windows Explorer, it
            reloads the taskbar. When it reloads, it puts the application icons
            in the same order as the current z-order, not in the order they were
            opened. I've always wanted to be able to move those icons around. I
            like having Outlook as the first application on the taskbar. I think
            I'm going to try exploiting this...

            Thanks

            <jonnyroberts1978@...> wrote:

            > Finally got it working.
            >
            > For some reason I had to use PostMessage rather then SendMessage. Also
            > I think the reason it was crashing before was because the memory I
            > was using was allocated outside the scop of the list control so I had
            > to use allocate virtual buffer etc.
            >
            > The other problem was with the nmhdr structure, this is an instance
            > rather then a pointer to another structure.
            >
            > my $action = pack( "l l",
            > 0, #ptaction.x
            > 0 #ptaction.y
            > );
            >
            > my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));
            >
            > my $str_buf = pack( "L L L l l L L L L l",
            > $keysList, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
            > GetWindowID( $keysList ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
            > LVN_COLUMNCLICK ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
            > -1, #item
            > 1, #sub item
            > 0, #uNewState
            > 0, #uOldState
            > 0, #uChanged
            > $action_ptr, #action
            > 0 #lparam
            > );
            >
            > my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $keysList, 500 );
            > WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );
            >
            > my $value = PostMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(
            > $keysList ), $lvitem->{ 'ptr' });
            > FreeVirtualBuffer( $lvitem );
            >
            > Thanks for your help.
            >
            > Regards
            > Jon

          • jonnyroberts1978
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 7 1:30 AM
              Thats strange I am using XP and just tried to run the script and it
              sent the message correctly and didn't crash.

              If I can find a 2K system around here I will try it on that.

              I wonder if it could be a problem with the explorer window not
              responding to the message until after the script has ended, therefore
              the memory that was allocated might have been cleaned up?

            • jonnyroberts1978
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 7 4:55 AM
                This code works on XP & 2K had to use the HDN_ITEMCLICKW message as
                explorer didn't seem to respond to LVN_COLUMNCLICK.

                The message is sent to the list but in the structure I used the handle
                of the header control.

                sub WM_NOTIFY {0x004E};
                sub HDN_ITEMCLICKW {-322};
                sub LVN_COLUMNCLICK {-108};
                sub NM_RCLICK {-5};

                my $fgWindow = WaitWindowLike(undef, "My Computer", "CabinetWClass\$",
                undef, 3,30);
                SetForegroundWindow($fgWindow);

                ok( $fgWindow != 0, "Testing the main application started" );

                my @windows = FindWindowLike($fgWindow, undef, "SysListView32\$",
                undef, 8) ;

                foreach my $theList ( @windows ) {
                if( IsWindowVisible( $theList ) )
                {
                #Get the header control Commctrl.h LVM_GETHEADER
                my $header = SendMessage( $theList, 0x1000 + 31, 0, 0 );

                #Make sure we have the header
                if($header != 0)
                {
                my $str_buf = pack( "LLLLLL",
                $header, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
                GetWindowID( $header ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
                HDN_ITEMCLICKW ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
                0,
                0,
                0);

                my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $header, 500 );
                WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );

                my $value = PostMessage( $theList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(
                $theList ), $lvitem->{ 'ptr' });
                sleep(1);
                FreeVirtualBuffer( $lvitem );

                <jonnyroberts1978@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > > rather then a pointer to another structure.
                > > >
                > > > my $action = pack( "l l",
                > > > 0, #ptaction.x
                > > > 0 #ptaction.y
                > > > );
                > > >
                > > > my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));
                > > >
                > > > my $str_buf = pack( "L L L l l L L L L l",
                > > > $keysList, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
                > > > GetWindowID( $keysList ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
                > > > LVN_COLUMNCLICK ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
                > > > -1, #item
                > > > 1, #sub item
                > > > 0, #uNewState
                > > > 0, #uOldState
                > > > 0, #uChanged
                > > > $action_ptr, #action
                > > > 0 #lparam
                > > > );
                > > >
                > > > my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $keysList, 500 );
                > > > WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );
                > > >
                > > > my $value = PostMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(

              • brentje
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 7 6:47 AM
                  Excellent...I got it working. Works beautifully actually. My problem
                  was that I needed to put a wait-state in between the PostMessage and
                  the FreeVirtualBuffer. I guess it was destroying the struct before it
                  was used by Explorer. Now that I know what I'm doing, I'm going to
                  play with this more. See if I can clean up some of my code. Thanks
                  for the help.

                  Brent

                  Wait...how'd this go from you asking a question to you helping me?