Re: List View header control

  • jonnyroberts1978
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2, 2007
      Thankyou very much for your help I will go with your work around for now.

      It is strange that the PostMessage seems to cause a crash but the
      SendMessage doesn't do anything.

      I hadn't come across win spector before it looks like a very usefull tool!

      Regards
      Jon

      http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/listview/notifications/nm_rclick_listview.asp

> [...]
      > > message.
      > >
      > > Looking at the NMHDR structure I don't understand how to handle the
      > > HWND member of the structure it appears to be more then a long value?
      > >
      > > I have attached a simpler form of the code which again doesn't do
      > > anything, unless a change the SendMessage to a PostMessage in which
      > > case the application crashes trying to decode the NMHDR structure.
      > >
      > > sub NM_RCLICK {-5};
      > > sub WM_NOTIFY {0x4E};
      > >
      > > my $hwnd = pack( "LL",
      > >
      > > 0 #nmh.hdr.idFrom
      > > );
      > > my $hwnd_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$hwnd));
      > >
      > > my $test_hdr_buf = pack( "LLL",
      > > $hwnd_ptr, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
      > > 0x3E8, #nmh.hdr.idFrom
      > > NM_RCLICK #nmh.hdr.code Code
      > > );
      > >
      > > my $test_hdr_buf_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$test_hdr_buf));
      > >
      > > my $value = SendMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, 0,
      > $test_hdr_buf_ptr);
      > >
      > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "jonnyroberts1978"
      > > <jonnyroberts1978@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi thanks I have tried that attached but it didn't seem to work.
      > > >
      > > > Is there any easy way to debug the messages with MFC to see where it
      > > > is going?
      > > >
      > > > Below is a copy of the NMLISTVIEW structure that I need to populate.
      > > > the first member is an instance of a NMHDR item and the POINT is a
      > > > pointer to a structure.
      > > >
      > > > Am I correct in unpacking my pointers like the following:
      > > >
      > > > my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));
      > > >

      > > > #typedef struct tagNMLISTVIEW {
      > > > # NMHDR hdr;
      > > > # int iItem;
      > > > # int iSubItem;
      > > > # UINT uNewState;
      > > > # UINT uOldState;
      > > > # UINT uChanged;
      > > > # POINT ptAction;
      > > > # LPARAM lParam;
      > > > #} NMLISTVIEW, *LPNMLISTVIEW;
      > > >
      > > > sub LVN_COLUMNCLICK {-108};
      > > >
      > > > my $hdr_buf = pack( "L L L",
      > > > $keysList, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
      > > > 0x3E8, #nmh.hdr.idFrom
      > > > LVN_COLUMNCLICK #nmh.hdr.code Code
      > > > );
      > > >
      > > > my $hdr_buf_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$hdr_buf));
      > > >
      > > > my $action = pack( "l l",
      > > > 0, #ptaction.x
      > > > 0 #ptaction.y
      > > > );
      > > >
      > > > my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));
      > > >
      > > > my $str_buf = pack( "L l l L L L L l",
      > > > $hdr_buf_ptr,
      > > > -1, #item
      > > > 0, #sub item
      > > > 0, #uNewState
      > > > 0, #uOldState
      > > > 0, #uChanged
      > > > $action_ptr, #action
      > > > 0 #lparam
      > > > );
      > > >
      > > > my $str_buf_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$str_buf));
      > > >
      > > > my $value = SendMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, 0x3E8,
      > > $str_buf_ptr);
      > > > printf("value returned = %d \n", $value);

      Most of C

      > up the
      > ideas

    • brentje
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2, 2007
        PostMessage crashes things, eh? I haven't tried it before since I
        thought the only difference would be that it doesn't return anything.
        But I just tried it now and got a notify message to the ListView
        object. This is good. This gives me hope. I'll play around with
        that today.

        Oh...and I just realised, I don't think the workaround even needs to
        deal with the header. Just do the GetWindowRect on the ListView
        itself and that should work.

        Brent

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007
          Looking at this link:

          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/common/messages/wm_notify.asp

          it states "For Windows 2000 and later systems, the WM_NOTIFY message
          cannot be sent between processes".

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007
            Finally got it working.

            For some reason I had to use PostMessage rather then SendMessage. Also
            I think the reason it was crashing before was because the memory I
            was using was allocated outside the scop of the list control so I had
            to use allocate virtual buffer etc.

            The other problem was with the nmhdr structure, this is an instance
            rather then a pointer to another structure.

            my $action = pack( "l l",
            0, #ptaction.x
            0 #ptaction.y
            );

            my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));

            my $str_buf = pack( "L L L l l L L L L l",
            $keysList, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
            GetWindowID( $keysList ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
            LVN_COLUMNCLICK ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
            -1, #item
            1, #sub item
            0, #uNewState
            0, #uOldState
            0, #uChanged
            $action_ptr, #action
            0 #lparam
            );

            my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $keysList, 500 );
            WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );

            my $value = PostMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(
            $keysList ), $lvitem->{ 'ptr' });
            FreeVirtualBuffer( $lvitem );

            Thanks for your help.

            Regards
            Jon

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007
              So that's how you're suppose to create the struct. That's good to know,
              thanks.

              The funny thing is that I now see the notify message with WinSpector,
              with the proper code (LVN_COLUMNCLICK). But nothing happens. Unless
              I put a wait-state anywhere in the code, then it crashes Windows
              Explorer almost every shot with the debug message "Access violation
              reading location...". I'm using the vitual buffer though, so I don't
              know why I'd be getting that particular error. I wonder if this is
              from the fact that Win2k doesn't allow notify messages between
              processes? It seems odd that I'd still see the notify message come up
              in WinSpector though.

              On the bright side, I noticed that when I crashed Windows Explorer, it
              reloads the taskbar. When it reloads, it puts the application icons
              in the same order as the current z-order, not in the order they were
              opened. I've always wanted to be able to move those icons around. I
              like having Outlook as the first application on the taskbar. I think
              I'm going to try exploiting this...

              Thanks
              Brent

              <jonnyroberts1978@...> wrote:

              > Finally got it working.
              >
              > For some reason I had to use PostMessage rather then SendMessage. Also
              > I think the reason it was crashing before was because the memory I
              > was using was allocated outside the scop of the list control so I had
              > to use allocate virtual buffer etc.
              >
              > The other problem was with the nmhdr structure, this is an instance
              > rather then a pointer to another structure.
              >
              > my $action = pack( "l l",
              > 0, #ptaction.x
              > 0 #ptaction.y
              > );
              >
              > my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));
              >
              > my $str_buf = pack( "L L L l l L L L L l",
              > $keysList, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
              > GetWindowID( $keysList ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
              > LVN_COLUMNCLICK ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
              > -1, #item
              > 1, #sub item
              > 0, #uNewState
              > 0, #uOldState
              > 0, #uChanged
              > $action_ptr, #action
              > 0 #lparam
              > );
              >
              > my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $keysList, 500 );
              > WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );
              >
              > my $value = PostMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(
              > $keysList ), $lvitem->{ 'ptr' });
              > FreeVirtualBuffer( $lvitem );
              >
              > Thanks for your help.
              >
              > Regards
              > Jon

            • jonnyroberts1978
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                Thats strange I am using XP and just tried to run the script and it
                sent the message correctly and didn't crash.

                If I can find a 2K system around here I will try it on that.

                I wonder if it could be a problem with the explorer window not
                responding to the message until after the script has ended, therefore
                the memory that was allocated might have been cleaned up?

              • jonnyroberts1978
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                  This code works on XP & 2K had to use the HDN_ITEMCLICKW message as
                  explorer didn't seem to respond to LVN_COLUMNCLICK.

                  The message is sent to the list but in the structure I used the handle
                  of the header control.

                  sub WM_NOTIFY {0x004E};
                  sub HDN_ITEMCLICKW {-322};
                  sub LVN_COLUMNCLICK {-108};
                  sub NM_RCLICK {-5};

                  my $fgWindow = WaitWindowLike(undef, "My Computer", "CabinetWClass\$",
                  undef, 3,30);
                  SetForegroundWindow($fgWindow);

                  ok( $fgWindow != 0, "Testing the main application started" );

                  my @windows = FindWindowLike($fgWindow, undef, "SysListView32\$",
                  undef, 8) ;

                  foreach my $theList ( @windows ) {
                  if( IsWindowVisible( $theList ) )
                  {
                  #Get the header control Commctrl.h LVM_GETHEADER
                  my $header = SendMessage( $theList, 0x1000 + 31, 0, 0 );

                  #Make sure we have the header
                  if($header != 0)
                  {
                  my $str_buf = pack( "LLLLLL",
                  $header, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
                  GetWindowID( $header ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
                  HDN_ITEMCLICKW ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
                  0,
                  0,
                  0);

                  my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $header, 500 );
                  WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );

                  my $value = PostMessage( $theList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(
                  $theList ), $lvitem->{ 'ptr' });
                  sleep(1);
                  FreeVirtualBuffer( $lvitem );

                  <jonnyroberts1978@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > rather then a pointer to another structure.
                  > > >
                  > > > my $action = pack( "l l",
                  > > > 0, #ptaction.x
                  > > > 0 #ptaction.y
                  > > > );
                  > > >
                  > > > my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));
                  > > >
                  > > > my $str_buf = pack( "L L L l l L L L L l",
                  > > > $keysList, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
                  > > > GetWindowID( $keysList ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
                  > > > LVN_COLUMNCLICK ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
                  > > > -1, #item
                  > > > 1, #sub item
                  > > > 0, #uNewState
                  > > > 0, #uOldState
                  > > > 0, #uChanged
                  > > > $action_ptr, #action
                  > > > 0 #lparam
                  > > > );
                  > > >
                  > > > my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $keysList, 500 );
                  > > > WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );
                  > > >
                  > > > my $value = PostMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(

                • brentje
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                    Excellent...I got it working. Works beautifully actually. My problem
                    was that I needed to put a wait-state in between the PostMessage and
                    the FreeVirtualBuffer. I guess it was destroying the struct before it
                    was used by Explorer. Now that I know what I'm doing, I'm going to
                    play with this more. See if I can clean up some of my code. Thanks
                    for the help.

                    Brent

                    Wait...how'd this go from you asking a question to you helping me?