Re: List View header control

  • jonnyroberts1978
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2007
      Hi

      Thanks for your reply. I think one of my problems is setting up the
      structure to send to the list box as the first member in the
      NMLISTVIEW structure is a NMHDR structure, has anyone got any ideas
      how I should structure this in perl, my failed attempt is below.

      my $hdr_buf = pack( "l l l",
      LVN_COLUMNCLICK, #nmh.hdr.code Code
      $header, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
      0 #nmh.hdr.idFrom
      );

      my $str_buf_ptr = pack( "l l l l l l l l l",
      $hdr_buf, #nmh.hdr
      -1, #item
      0, #sub item
      0, #HDITEM, not relevant for this notification
      0, #newState
      0, #oldstate
      0, #changed
      0, #action
      0 #lparam
      );

      my $str_buf = unpack( "l!", pack( 'P',$str_buf_ptr));

      SendMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, 0, $str_buf);
    • brentje
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2007
        Hi

        Try creating a pointer for $hdr_buf like you do $str_buf. Most of C
        works with pointers, so I think that may be the key.

        my $hdr_buf_ptr = pack( "l l l",
        LVN_COLUMNCLICK, #nmh.hdr.code Code
        $header, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
        0 #nmh.hdr.idFrom
        );

        my $hdr_buf = unpack( "l!", pack( 'P',$hdr_buf_ptr));

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "jonnyroberts1978"

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2007
          Hi thanks I have tried that attached but it didn't seem to work.

          Is there any easy way to debug the messages with MFC to see where it
          is going?

          Below is a copy of the NMLISTVIEW structure that I need to populate.
          the first member is an instance of a NMHDR item and the POINT is a
          pointer to a structure.

          Am I correct in unpacking my pointers like the following:

          my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));

          #typedef struct tagNMLISTVIEW {
          # NMHDR hdr;
          # int iItem;
          # int iSubItem;
          # UINT uNewState;
          # UINT uOldState;
          # UINT uChanged;
          # POINT ptAction;
          # LPARAM lParam;
          #} NMLISTVIEW, *LPNMLISTVIEW;

          sub LVN_COLUMNCLICK {-108};

          my $hdr_buf = pack( "L L L",
          $keysList, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
          0x3E8, #nmh.hdr.idFrom
          LVN_COLUMNCLICK #nmh.hdr.code Code
          );

          my $hdr_buf_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$hdr_buf));

          my $action = pack( "l l",
          0, #ptaction.x
          0 #ptaction.y
          );

          my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));

          my $str_buf = pack( "L l l L L L L l",
          $hdr_buf_ptr,
          -1, #item
          0, #sub item
          0, #uNewState
          0, #uOldState
          0, #uChanged
          $action_ptr, #action
          0 #lparam
          );

          my $str_buf_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$str_buf));

          my $value = SendMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, 0x3E8, $str_buf_ptr);
          printf("value returned = %d \n", $value);

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2007
            I have managed to break my problem down slightly and found message
            that sends only NMHDR part of the structure. This is the NM_RCLICK
            message.

            Looking at the NMHDR structure I don't understand how to handle the
            HWND member of the structure it appears to be more then a long value?

            I have attached a simpler form of the code which again doesn't do
            anything, unless a change the SendMessage to a PostMessage in which
            case the application crashes trying to decode the NMHDR structure.

            sub NM_RCLICK {-5};
            sub WM_NOTIFY {0x4E};

            my $hwnd = pack( "LL",

            0 #nmh.hdr.idFrom
            );
            my $hwnd_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$hwnd));

            my $test_hdr_buf = pack( "LLL",
            $hwnd_ptr, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
            0x3E8, #nmh.hdr.idFrom
            NM_RCLICK #nmh.hdr.code Code
            );

            my $test_hdr_buf_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$test_hdr_buf));

            my $value = SendMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, 0, $test_hdr_buf_ptr);

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2007
              You shouldn't have to create a pointer for the HWND. Just send in the
              HWND for the ListView object should work. The one I'm testing with
              (Windows Explorer window set to Detailed list mode) comes out to a 6
              digit number for it's HWND. Plus your NMHDR looks a little off. It
              should be:

              my $test_hdr_buf = pack( "LLL",
              $hwnd, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
              GetWindowID( $hwnd ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
              NM_RCLICK #nmh.hdr.code Code
              );

              where $hwnd is the handle to the ListView. But the NM_RCLICK message
              uses a NMITEMACTIVATE struct, which contains NMHDR, so the call won't
              work as it is. Read more here:

              http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/listview/notifications/nm_rclick_listview.asp

              I've been testing out the code you sent, plus looking up the various
              messages and structures for ListView. Everything I try doesn't seem
              to do anything. I'm using WinSpector to watch the messages, and
              nothing comes up whenever I run the code. The only thing that gets
              called in the LVM_GETHEADER SendMessage. Whenever I manually click a
              lot of messages are sent to both the ListView and it's header. But
              the Notify message doesn't get caught by the ListView or the header.
              I'm not sure whatelse to do. But I have come up with a workaround at
              least. All it does it get the column widths of all the columns up to
              the column you want and adds that to the left X value from
              GetWindowRect for the ListView header. It's cheating, but it works.

              $ListView is the HWND for the ListView object.

              #get the current mouse location.
              my ($x, $y) = GetCursorPos();

              #this is the index of the column we want
              my $index = 2;

              #to store the coordinate offset
              my $Offset = 0;

              my $i = 0;

              #Get the header control Commctrl.h LVM_GETHEADER
              my $Header = SendMessage( $ListView, 0x1000 + 31, 0, 0 );

              #loop through until we get to the column we want, adding up the widths
              as we go.
              for($i = 0; $i < $i_index; $i++)
              {
              #0x1000 + 29 is the message for LVM_GETCOLUMNWIDTH
              $Offset += SendMessage( $ListView, 0x1000 + 29, 0, 0 );
              }

              #Get the RECT coordinates of the header.
              #We only need to deal with the top left-hand corner.
              my ($leftx, $topy, undef, undef) = GetWindowRect( $Header );

              #Add the offset to the left X coordinate, plus a 10 pixel buffer.
              $leftx = $leftx + $Offset + 10;

              #Move the mouse and click...
              MouseMoveAbsPix($leftx, $topy + 5);
              SendMouse("{LEFTCLICK}");

              #Move the mouse back to where it was, just in case.
              MouseMoveAbsPix($x, $y);

              I'll try to work on the Notify messaging a little more, because it
              would be handy to figure out...

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 2, 2007
                Thankyou very much for your help I will go with your work around for now.

                It is strange that the PostMessage seems to cause a crash but the
                SendMessage doesn't do anything.

                I hadn't come across win spector before it looks like a very usefull tool!

                Regards
                Jon

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 2, 2007
                  PostMessage crashes things, eh? I haven't tried it before since I
                  thought the only difference would be that it doesn't return anything.
                  But I just tried it now and got a notify message to the ListView
                  object. This is good. This gives me hope. I'll play around with
                  that today.

                  Oh...and I just realised, I don't think the workaround even needs to
                  deal with the header. Just do the GetWindowRect on the ListView
                  itself and that should work.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007
                    Looking at this link:

                    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/common/messages/wm_notify.asp

                    it states "For Windows 2000 and later systems, the WM_NOTIFY message
                    cannot be sent between processes".

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007
                      Finally got it working.

                      For some reason I had to use PostMessage rather then SendMessage. Also
                      I think the reason it was crashing before was because the memory I
                      was using was allocated outside the scop of the list control so I had
                      to use allocate virtual buffer etc.

                      The other problem was with the nmhdr structure, this is an instance
                      rather then a pointer to another structure.

                      my $action = pack( "l l",
                      0, #ptaction.x
                      0 #ptaction.y
                      );

                      my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));

                      my $str_buf = pack( "L L L l l L L L L l",
                      $keysList, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
                      GetWindowID( $keysList ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
                      LVN_COLUMNCLICK ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
                      -1, #item
                      1, #sub item
                      0, #uNewState
                      0, #uOldState
                      0, #uChanged
                      $action_ptr, #action
                      0 #lparam
                      );

                      my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $keysList, 500 );
                      WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );

                      my $value = PostMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(
                      $keysList ), $lvitem->{ 'ptr' });
                      FreeVirtualBuffer( $lvitem );

                      Thanks for your help.

                      Regards
                      Jon

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007
                        So that's how you're suppose to create the struct. That's good to know,
                        thanks.

                        The funny thing is that I now see the notify message with WinSpector,
                        with the proper code (LVN_COLUMNCLICK). But nothing happens. Unless
                        I put a wait-state anywhere in the code, then it crashes Windows
                        Explorer almost every shot with the debug message "Access violation
                        reading location...". I'm using the vitual buffer though, so I don't
                        know why I'd be getting that particular error. I wonder if this is
                        from the fact that Win2k doesn't allow notify messages between
                        processes? It seems odd that I'd still see the notify message come up
                        in WinSpector though.

                        On the bright side, I noticed that when I crashed Windows Explorer, it
                        reloads the taskbar. When it reloads, it puts the application icons
                        in the same order as the current z-order, not in the order they were
                        opened. I've always wanted to be able to move those icons around. I
                        like having Outlook as the first application on the taskbar. I think
                        I'm going to try exploiting this...

                        Thanks

                        <jonnyroberts1978@...> wrote:

                        > Finally got it working.
                        >
                        > For some reason I had to use PostMessage rather then SendMessage. Also
                        > I think the reason it was crashing before was because the memory I
                        > was using was allocated outside the scop of the list control so I had
                        > to use allocate virtual buffer etc.
                        >
                        > The other problem was with the nmhdr structure, this is an instance
                        > rather then a pointer to another structure.
                        >
                        > my $action = pack( "l l",
                        > 0, #ptaction.x
                        > 0 #ptaction.y
                        > );
                        >
                        > my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));
                        >
                        > my $str_buf = pack( "L L L l l L L L L l",
                        > $keysList, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
                        > GetWindowID( $keysList ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
                        > LVN_COLUMNCLICK ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
                        > -1, #item
                        > 1, #sub item
                        > 0, #uNewState
                        > 0, #uOldState
                        > 0, #uChanged
                        > $action_ptr, #action
                        > 0 #lparam
                        > );
                        >
                        > my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $keysList, 500 );
                        > WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );
                        >
                        > my $value = PostMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(
                        > $keysList ), $lvitem->{ 'ptr' });
                        > FreeVirtualBuffer( $lvitem );
                        >
                        > Thanks for your help.
                        >
                        > Regards
                        > Jon

                      • jonnyroberts1978
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                          Thats strange I am using XP and just tried to run the script and it
                          sent the message correctly and didn't crash.

                          If I can find a 2K system around here I will try it on that.

                          I wonder if it could be a problem with the explorer window not
                          responding to the message until after the script has ended, therefore
                          the memory that was allocated might have been cleaned up?

                        • jonnyroberts1978
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                            This code works on XP & 2K had to use the HDN_ITEMCLICKW message as
                            explorer didn't seem to respond to LVN_COLUMNCLICK.

                            The message is sent to the list but in the structure I used the handle
                            of the header control.

                            sub WM_NOTIFY {0x004E};
                            sub HDN_ITEMCLICKW {-322};
                            sub LVN_COLUMNCLICK {-108};
                            sub NM_RCLICK {-5};

                            my $fgWindow = WaitWindowLike(undef, "My Computer", "CabinetWClass\$",
                            undef, 3,30);
                            SetForegroundWindow($fgWindow);

                            ok( $fgWindow != 0, "Testing the main application started" );

                            my @windows = FindWindowLike($fgWindow, undef, "SysListView32\$",
                            undef, 8) ;

                            foreach my $theList ( @windows ) {
                            if( IsWindowVisible( $theList ) )
                            {
                            #Get the header control Commctrl.h LVM_GETHEADER
                            my $header = SendMessage( $theList, 0x1000 + 31, 0, 0 );

                            #Make sure we have the header
                            if($header != 0)
                            {
                            my $str_buf = pack( "LLLLLL",
                            $header, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
                            GetWindowID( $header ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
                            HDN_ITEMCLICKW ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
                            0,
                            0,
                            0);

                            my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $header, 500 );
                            WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );

                            my $value = PostMessage( $theList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(
                            $theList ), $lvitem->{ 'ptr' });
                            sleep(1);
                            FreeVirtualBuffer( $lvitem );

                            <jonnyroberts1978@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > > rather then a pointer to another structure.
                            > > >
                            > > > my $action = pack( "l l",
                            > > > 0, #ptaction.x
                            > > > 0 #ptaction.y
                            > > > );
                            > > >
                            > > > my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));
                            > > >
                            > > > my $str_buf = pack( "L L L l l L L L L l",
                            > > > $keysList, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
                            > > > GetWindowID( $keysList ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
                            > > > LVN_COLUMNCLICK ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
                            > > > -1, #item
                            > > > 1, #sub item
                            > > > 0, #uNewState
                            > > > 0, #uOldState
                            > > > 0, #uChanged
                            > > > $action_ptr, #action
                            > > > 0 #lparam
                            > > > );
                            > > >
                            > > > my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $keysList, 500 );
                            > > > WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );
                            > > >
                            > > > my $value = PostMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(

                          • brentje
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                              Excellent...I got it working. Works beautifully actually. My problem
                              was that I needed to put a wait-state in between the PostMessage and
                              the FreeVirtualBuffer. I guess it was destroying the struct before it
                              was used by Explorer. Now that I know what I'm doing, I'm going to
                              play with this more. See if I can clean up some of my code. Thanks
                              for the help.

                              Brent

                              Wait...how'd this go from you asking a question to you helping me?