Re: List View header control

  • brentje
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 28, 2007
      Hi

      I haven't had the chance to run any code yet, but I did notice
      something in your code. The WM_NOTIFY code is 0x004E, which is below
      WM_USER (0x1024), so you don't need to do the AllocateVirtualBuffer
      code. Read here for more info:

      http://www.piotrkaluski.com/files/winguitest/docs/ch02s04.html#id5397419

      Basically you should be able to pass $str_buf directly into the
      SendMessage call. If that's not it...well...good luck...

      Brent

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "jonnyroberts1978"
      <jonnyroberts1978@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I am testing an application which has a listview control which has
      > sorting. The sorting is carried out when the column titles are clicked
      > with the mouse. I am able to get a handle to the header control by
      > sending the LVM_GETHEADER message. However, I can't seem to simulate a
      > click on the header control.
      >
      > I am trying to send the HDN_ITEMCLICK message which is a WM_NOTIFY
      > message. The code I have is as follows:
      >
      > #Get the header control Commctrl.h LVM_GETHEADER
      > my $header = SendMessage( $listView, 0x1000 + 31, 0, 0 );
      >
      > #Make sure we have the header
      > if($header != 0)
      > {
      > #typedef struct tagNMHEADER {
      > # NMHDR hdr;
      > # int iItem;
      > # int iButton;
      > # HDITEM *pitem;
      > #} NMHEADER, *LPNMHEADER;
      >
      > my $hwnd = $header;
      > my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $hwnd, 400 );
      >
      > #Setup the HMHEADER structure
      > # 322 = (HDN_FIRST-22) comctrl.h
      > my $str_buf = pack( "L L L L L L",
      > 322, #nmh.hdr.code Code
      > $header, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
      > 0, #nmh.hdr.idFrom
      > 0, #Left
      > 0, #First Item
      > 0, #HDITEM, not relevant for this notification
      > );
      >
      > WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );
      >
      > #WM_NOTIFY == 0x004E
      > SendMessage( $header, 0x004E, $lvitem->{ 'ptr' }, $lvitem->{ 'ptr'
      } );

      > FreeVirtualBuffer( $lvitem );
      > }
      >
      > has anyone got any idea what I am doing wrong as at the moment nothing
      > happens.
      >
      > Have I initialised the structure correctly?
      >
      > Regards
      > Jon

    • jonnyroberts1978
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2007
        Hi

        Thanks for your reply. I think one of my problems is setting up the
        structure to send to the list box as the first member in the
        NMLISTVIEW structure is a NMHDR structure, has anyone got any ideas
        how I should structure this in perl, my failed attempt is below.

        my $hdr_buf = pack( "l l l",
        LVN_COLUMNCLICK, #nmh.hdr.code Code
        $header, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
        0 #nmh.hdr.idFrom
        );

        my $str_buf_ptr = pack( "l l l l l l l l l",
        $hdr_buf, #nmh.hdr
        -1, #item
        0, #sub item
        0, #HDITEM, not relevant for this notification
        0, #newState
        0, #oldstate
        0, #changed
        0, #action
        0 #lparam
        );

        my $str_buf = unpack( "l!", pack( 'P',$str_buf_ptr));

        SendMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, 0, $str_buf);
      • brentje
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2007
          Hi

          Try creating a pointer for $hdr_buf like you do $str_buf. Most of C
          works with pointers, so I think that may be the key.

          my $hdr_buf_ptr = pack( "l l l",
          LVN_COLUMNCLICK, #nmh.hdr.code Code
          $header, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
          0 #nmh.hdr.idFrom
          );

          my $hdr_buf = unpack( "l!", pack( 'P',$hdr_buf_ptr));

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2007
            Hi thanks I have tried that attached but it didn't seem to work.

            Is there any easy way to debug the messages with MFC to see where it
            is going?

            Below is a copy of the NMLISTVIEW structure that I need to populate.
            the first member is an instance of a NMHDR item and the POINT is a
            pointer to a structure.

            Am I correct in unpacking my pointers like the following:

            my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));

            #typedef struct tagNMLISTVIEW {
            # NMHDR hdr;
            # int iItem;
            # int iSubItem;
            # UINT uNewState;
            # UINT uOldState;
            # UINT uChanged;
            # POINT ptAction;
            # LPARAM lParam;
            #} NMLISTVIEW, *LPNMLISTVIEW;

            sub LVN_COLUMNCLICK {-108};

            my $hdr_buf = pack( "L L L",
            $keysList, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
            0x3E8, #nmh.hdr.idFrom
            LVN_COLUMNCLICK #nmh.hdr.code Code
            );

            my $hdr_buf_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$hdr_buf));

            my $action = pack( "l l",
            0, #ptaction.x
            0 #ptaction.y
            );

            my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));

            my $str_buf = pack( "L l l L L L L l",
            $hdr_buf_ptr,
            -1, #item
            0, #sub item
            0, #uNewState
            0, #uOldState
            0, #uChanged
            $action_ptr, #action
            0 #lparam
            );

            my $str_buf_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$str_buf));

            my $value = SendMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, 0x3E8, $str_buf_ptr);
            printf("value returned = %d \n", $value);

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2007
              I have managed to break my problem down slightly and found message
              that sends only NMHDR part of the structure. This is the NM_RCLICK
              message.

              Looking at the NMHDR structure I don't understand how to handle the
              HWND member of the structure it appears to be more then a long value?

              I have attached a simpler form of the code which again doesn't do
              anything, unless a change the SendMessage to a PostMessage in which
              case the application crashes trying to decode the NMHDR structure.

              sub NM_RCLICK {-5};
              sub WM_NOTIFY {0x4E};

              my $hwnd = pack( "LL",

              0 #nmh.hdr.idFrom
              );
              my $hwnd_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$hwnd));

              my $test_hdr_buf = pack( "LLL",
              $hwnd_ptr, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
              0x3E8, #nmh.hdr.idFrom
              NM_RCLICK #nmh.hdr.code Code
              );

              my $test_hdr_buf_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$test_hdr_buf));

              my $value = SendMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, 0, $test_hdr_buf_ptr);

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2007
                You shouldn't have to create a pointer for the HWND. Just send in the
                HWND for the ListView object should work. The one I'm testing with
                (Windows Explorer window set to Detailed list mode) comes out to a 6
                digit number for it's HWND. Plus your NMHDR looks a little off. It
                should be:

                my $test_hdr_buf = pack( "LLL",
                $hwnd, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
                GetWindowID( $hwnd ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
                NM_RCLICK #nmh.hdr.code Code
                );

                where $hwnd is the handle to the ListView. But the NM_RCLICK message
                uses a NMITEMACTIVATE struct, which contains NMHDR, so the call won't
                work as it is. Read more here:

                http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/listview/notifications/nm_rclick_listview.asp

                I've been testing out the code you sent, plus looking up the various
                messages and structures for ListView. Everything I try doesn't seem
                to do anything. I'm using WinSpector to watch the messages, and
                nothing comes up whenever I run the code. The only thing that gets
                called in the LVM_GETHEADER SendMessage. Whenever I manually click a
                lot of messages are sent to both the ListView and it's header. But
                the Notify message doesn't get caught by the ListView or the header.
                I'm not sure whatelse to do. But I have come up with a workaround at
                least. All it does it get the column widths of all the columns up to
                the column you want and adds that to the left X value from
                GetWindowRect for the ListView header. It's cheating, but it works.

                $ListView is the HWND for the ListView object.

                #get the current mouse location.
                my ($x, $y) = GetCursorPos();

                #this is the index of the column we want
                my $index = 2;

                #to store the coordinate offset
                my $Offset = 0;

                my $i = 0;

                #Get the header control Commctrl.h LVM_GETHEADER
                my $Header = SendMessage( $ListView, 0x1000 + 31, 0, 0 );

                #loop through until we get to the column we want, adding up the widths
                as we go.
                for($i = 0; $i < $i_index; $i++)
                {
                #0x1000 + 29 is the message for LVM_GETCOLUMNWIDTH
                $Offset += SendMessage( $ListView, 0x1000 + 29, 0, 0 );
                }

                #Get the RECT coordinates of the header.
                #We only need to deal with the top left-hand corner.
                my ($leftx, $topy, undef, undef) = GetWindowRect( $Header );

                #Add the offset to the left X coordinate, plus a 10 pixel buffer.
                $leftx = $leftx + $Offset + 10;

                #Move the mouse and click...
                MouseMoveAbsPix($leftx, $topy + 5);
                SendMouse("{LEFTCLICK}");

                #Move the mouse back to where it was, just in case.
                MouseMoveAbsPix($x, $y);

                I'll try to work on the Notify messaging a little more, because it
                would be handy to figure out...

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 2, 2007
                  Thankyou very much for your help I will go with your work around for now.

                  It is strange that the PostMessage seems to cause a crash but the
                  SendMessage doesn't do anything.

                  I hadn't come across win spector before it looks like a very usefull tool!

                  Regards
                  Jon

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 2, 2007
                    PostMessage crashes things, eh? I haven't tried it before since I
                    thought the only difference would be that it doesn't return anything.
                    But I just tried it now and got a notify message to the ListView
                    object. This is good. This gives me hope. I'll play around with
                    that today.

                    Oh...and I just realised, I don't think the workaround even needs to
                    deal with the header. Just do the GetWindowRect on the ListView
                    itself and that should work.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007
                      Looking at this link:

                      http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/common/messages/wm_notify.asp

                      it states "For Windows 2000 and later systems, the WM_NOTIFY message
                      cannot be sent between processes".

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007
                        Finally got it working.

                        For some reason I had to use PostMessage rather then SendMessage. Also
                        I think the reason it was crashing before was because the memory I
                        was using was allocated outside the scop of the list control so I had
                        to use allocate virtual buffer etc.

                        The other problem was with the nmhdr structure, this is an instance
                        rather then a pointer to another structure.

                        my $action = pack( "l l",
                        0, #ptaction.x
                        0 #ptaction.y
                        );

                        my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));

                        my $str_buf = pack( "L L L l l L L L L l",
                        $keysList, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
                        GetWindowID( $keysList ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
                        LVN_COLUMNCLICK ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
                        -1, #item
                        1, #sub item
                        0, #uNewState
                        0, #uOldState
                        0, #uChanged
                        $action_ptr, #action
                        0 #lparam
                        );

                        my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $keysList, 500 );
                        WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );

                        my $value = PostMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(
                        $keysList ), $lvitem->{ 'ptr' });
                        FreeVirtualBuffer( $lvitem );

                        Thanks for your help.

                        Regards
                        Jon

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 6, 2007
                          So that's how you're suppose to create the struct. That's good to know,
                          thanks.

                          The funny thing is that I now see the notify message with WinSpector,
                          with the proper code (LVN_COLUMNCLICK). But nothing happens. Unless
                          I put a wait-state anywhere in the code, then it crashes Windows
                          Explorer almost every shot with the debug message "Access violation
                          reading location...". I'm using the vitual buffer though, so I don't
                          know why I'd be getting that particular error. I wonder if this is
                          from the fact that Win2k doesn't allow notify messages between
                          processes? It seems odd that I'd still see the notify message come up
                          in WinSpector though.

                          On the bright side, I noticed that when I crashed Windows Explorer, it
                          reloads the taskbar. When it reloads, it puts the application icons
                          in the same order as the current z-order, not in the order they were
                          opened. I've always wanted to be able to move those icons around. I
                          like having Outlook as the first application on the taskbar. I think
                          I'm going to try exploiting this...

                          Thanks

                          <jonnyroberts1978@...> wrote:

                          > Finally got it working.
                          >
                          > For some reason I had to use PostMessage rather then SendMessage. Also
                          > I think the reason it was crashing before was because the memory I
                          > was using was allocated outside the scop of the list control so I had
                          > to use allocate virtual buffer etc.
                          >
                          > The other problem was with the nmhdr structure, this is an instance
                          > rather then a pointer to another structure.
                          >
                          > my $action = pack( "l l",
                          > 0, #ptaction.x
                          > 0 #ptaction.y
                          > );
                          >
                          > my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));
                          >
                          > my $str_buf = pack( "L L L l l L L L L l",
                          > $keysList, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
                          > GetWindowID( $keysList ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
                          > LVN_COLUMNCLICK ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
                          > -1, #item
                          > 1, #sub item
                          > 0, #uNewState
                          > 0, #uOldState
                          > 0, #uChanged
                          > $action_ptr, #action
                          > 0 #lparam
                          > );
                          >
                          > my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $keysList, 500 );
                          > WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );
                          >
                          > my $value = PostMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(
                          > $keysList ), $lvitem->{ 'ptr' });
                          > FreeVirtualBuffer( $lvitem );
                          >
                          > Thanks for your help.
                          >
                          > Regards
                          > Jon

                        • jonnyroberts1978
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                            Thats strange I am using XP and just tried to run the script and it
                            sent the message correctly and didn't crash.

                            If I can find a 2K system around here I will try it on that.

                            I wonder if it could be a problem with the explorer window not
                            responding to the message until after the script has ended, therefore
                            the memory that was allocated might have been cleaned up?

                          • jonnyroberts1978
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                              This code works on XP & 2K had to use the HDN_ITEMCLICKW message as
                              explorer didn't seem to respond to LVN_COLUMNCLICK.

                              The message is sent to the list but in the structure I used the handle
                              of the header control.

                              sub WM_NOTIFY {0x004E};
                              sub HDN_ITEMCLICKW {-322};
                              sub LVN_COLUMNCLICK {-108};
                              sub NM_RCLICK {-5};

                              my $fgWindow = WaitWindowLike(undef, "My Computer", "CabinetWClass\$",
                              undef, 3,30);
                              SetForegroundWindow($fgWindow);

                              ok( $fgWindow != 0, "Testing the main application started" );

                              my @windows = FindWindowLike($fgWindow, undef, "SysListView32\$",
                              undef, 8) ;

                              foreach my $theList ( @windows ) {
                              if( IsWindowVisible( $theList ) )
                              {
                              #Get the header control Commctrl.h LVM_GETHEADER
                              my $header = SendMessage( $theList, 0x1000 + 31, 0, 0 );

                              #Make sure we have the header
                              if($header != 0)
                              {
                              my $str_buf = pack( "LLLLLL",
                              $header, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
                              GetWindowID( $header ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
                              HDN_ITEMCLICKW ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
                              0,
                              0,
                              0);

                              my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $header, 500 );
                              WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );

                              my $value = PostMessage( $theList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(
                              $theList ), $lvitem->{ 'ptr' });
                              sleep(1);
                              FreeVirtualBuffer( $lvitem );

                              <jonnyroberts1978@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > > > rather then a pointer to another structure.
                              > > >
                              > > > my $action = pack( "l l",
                              > > > 0, #ptaction.x
                              > > > 0 #ptaction.y
                              > > > );
                              > > >
                              > > > my $action_ptr = unpack( 'L!', pack( 'P',$action));
                              > > >
                              > > > my $str_buf = pack( "L L L l l L L L L l",
                              > > > $keysList, #nmh.hdr.hwndFrom hwnd
                              > > > GetWindowID( $keysList ), #nmh.hdr.idFrom
                              > > > LVN_COLUMNCLICK ,#nmh.hdr.code Code
                              > > > -1, #item
                              > > > 1, #sub item
                              > > > 0, #uNewState
                              > > > 0, #uOldState
                              > > > 0, #uChanged
                              > > > $action_ptr, #action
                              > > > 0 #lparam
                              > > > );
                              > > >
                              > > > my $lvitem = AllocateVirtualBuffer( $keysList, 500 );
                              > > > WriteToVirtualBuffer( $lvitem, $str_buf );
                              > > >
                              > > > my $value = PostMessage( $keysList, WM_NOTIFY, GetWindowID(

                            • brentje
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 7, 2007
                                Excellent...I got it working. Works beautifully actually. My problem
                                was that I needed to put a wait-state in between the PostMessage and
                                the FreeVirtualBuffer. I guess it was destroying the struct before it
                                was used by Explorer. Now that I know what I'm doing, I'm going to
                                play with this more. See if I can clean up some of my code. Thanks
                                for the help.

                                Brent

                                Wait...how'd this go from you asking a question to you helping me?