Re: silktest vs using win32::GuiTest

  • brentje
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 20 6:14 AM
      Let me start off by saying that I have not had any formal training in
      testing. I have no documentation on any kinds of testing methodology.
      Anything I do have was found on the net somewhere. I started my
      career off as a programmer, and my interests lay mostly in that area.
      Although I do get a kick out of tearing apart someone else's program,
      so I've grown to like testing. But basically, I looked at the task
      that needed to be done from a programmer's point of view.

      Many of us have created our own framework for the application we are
      testing. I wouldn't say mine is any better then anyone else's because
      I haven't seen anyone else's, but I am proud of it and where it's
      going. I didn't even realize what I was making until the basic code
      was written. But here are the things I went through.

      I was asked to write regression testing scripts, to make sure that the
      steps we've laid out in the manual will work. The basic idea I had
      was to make emulate a normal user as closely as possible. That means
      instead of using code to push a button, I actually move the mouse
      cursor there and click. So the first function I wrote was a Move
      Mouse command. Since the one in GuiTest instantly moves the cursor to
      where you say, I made a loop that moved it incrementally to provide a
      delay and to make it look a little more normal. From there, I moved
      on to filling fields. I decided I didn't want to blindly click with
      mouse coordinates, so I made a function that looked for a field based
      on it's label. Once I find the field, I grab it's screen coordinates
      and feed that into the Move Mouse function. This way, they can move
      the field where ever they want to and I don't have to change my code.
      I think after that I starting coding functions that set a combobox to
      a specific value, grabbing it's location in the drop-down and moving
      the mouse to click on it. After that, things really started getting
      out of hand. I've added code to wait for a window based on it's title
      or it's contents, added logging features, grab screenshots, added code
      to manipulate objects through SendMessage, added XML files to hold
      data that drives the scripts, added database code to interact with the
      data our software uses, created a system to run multiple scripts, and
      probably a few other things I can't think of right now. Next is a
      blackbox testing system, where the scripts intentionally try to make
      error messages show. Without a doubt, it is a lot of work to get a
      system up and running. But the results are worth it in my eyes. I
      don't think I would have gotten anywhere near the results I've gotten
      if I went with the top commercial choice I had.

      But again, this is just my system. It's pretty geared towards the
      software I'm testing, although I've tried to make it as generic as
      possible. I'm sure others have systems that do things I haven't even
      thought of, or provide better ways of doing things. Anyways, this is
      the process I've gone through. It's taken me about a year and a half
      script about a third of our application, and it'll probably take me
      another year or so to script the rest. Well, I hope this helps.

      Brent

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, gs rao <gsrao_ggt@...> wrote:

      > Hi Brent,
      >
      > I am new to the win32::GuiTest, I want to do the functionality
      testing of an application using win32::GuiTest. Can you please tell me
      what are the basic steps, we need to take while designing the
      automation test frame work for that application using win32::GuiTest ?
      > Is there any kind of frame work for the win32::GuiTest ?
      > Or can you please guide me how to start the process of automating
      the functionality testing for an application using win32::GuiTest ?
      > if you have any specific documents related to the functionality
      testing using win32::GuiTest, please send it to me ?

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 20 6:48 AM
        Brent,
        Would be possible that you share your code with us?

        --Piotr

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "brentje" <brentje@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > script about a third of our application, and it'll probably take me
        > another year or so to script the rest. Well, I hope this helps.
        >
        > Brent
        >
        > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, gs rao <gsrao_ggt@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Brent,
        > >
        > > I am new to the win32::GuiTest, I want to do the functionality
        > testing of an application using win32::GuiTest. Can you please tell me
        > what are the basic steps, we need to take while designing the
        > automation test frame work for that application using win32::GuiTest ?
        > > Is there any kind of frame work for the win32::GuiTest ?
        > > Or can you please guide me how to start the process of automating
        > the functionality testing for an application using win32::GuiTest ?
        > > if you have any specific documents related to the functionality
        > testing using win32::GuiTest, please send it to me ?

      • brentje
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 20 7:29 AM
          I don't mind sharing snippets, examples of things I've pieced together
          from searching the net. The whole framework...that will be something
          I need to talk over with the owners. Technically the code belongs to
          them, so I can't just toss it onto the net for everyone to grab.
          They've already had a problem with someone walking off with the code
          to the main software we make, so they've put some restrictive clauses
          in all contracts because of it. I would like to make this an open
          source project, but I want to finish off certain parts before I
          present the idea to the owners. I can't tell you how long this will
          be though.

          Brent

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@...> wrote:

          > Brent,
          > Would be possible that you share your code with us?
          >
          > --Piotr
        • gs rao
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 20 9:29 PM
            Hi Brent,

            Thanks for the information.It has so much information about your experience of working with Win32:GuiTest.Surely, it should help us alot.

            I have a question to you that is I was installed the Active Perl 5.6 in my system and I have tried to install the Win32:GuitTest 2.2 on the same system.
            I have followed as per the instructions given in the installation process of the Win32:GuiTest build.
            While installing the build it's giving error message like "it should not be allowed to install the packages on the current build".

            Can you please tell me how do we install the Win32:GuiTest in my system and what are the steps do i need to take while installation like do we need to install the Active Perl latest version or need to upgrade the latest version or no need to install the Active Perl in my system ?

            Please tell me, Is that Active perl installation will take any affect for the installation of Win32:GuiTest build ?

            Thanks in advance.

            Subba Rao

          • Suresh Nelamangala
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 20 11:44 PM
              hi gs rao,

              Can you do this on your machine
              perl should be in path before you can type ppm here

              C:\>ppm
              PPM - Programmer's Package Manager version 3.1.
              Copyright (c) 2001 ActiveState SRL. All Rights Reserved.

              Entering interactive shell. Using Term::ReadLine::Stub as readline library.

              Type 'help' to get started.

              ppm> install Win32:GuiTest

              On 2/21/07, gs rao <gsrao_ggt@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > another year or so to script the rest. Well, I hope this helps.
              >
              > Brent
              >
              > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com <perlguitest%40yahoogroups.com>, gs rao
              > <gsrao_ggt@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Brent,
              > >
              > > I am new to the win32::GuiTest, I want to do the functionality
              > testing of an application using win32::GuiTest. Can you please tell me
              > what are the basic steps, we need to take while designing the
              > automation test frame work for that application using win32::GuiTest ?
              > > Is there any kind of frame work for the win32::GuiTest ?
              > > Or can you please guide me how to start the process of automating
              > the functionality testing for an application using win32::GuiTest ?
              > > if you have any specific documents related to the functionality
              > testing using win32::GuiTest, please send it to me ?

            • Ernesto Guisado
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 21 12:45 AM
                Suresh Nelamangala wrote:

> [...]
                >
                > Give Back
                >
                > Yahoo! for Good
                > <http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/+AF8-ylc=X3oDMTJtOWcyY29uBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzEEZ3JwSWQDMzY4OTM2MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDY5NTEEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawNicmFuZARzdGltZQMxMTcyMDQ0Mzc5;+AF8-ylg=1/SIG=11314uv3k/+ACoAKg-http+ACU-3A//brand.yahoo.com/forgood>
                >
                > Get inspired
                >
                > by a good cause.
                >
                > Y! Toolbar
                >
                > Get it Free!
                > <http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/+AF8-ylc=X3oDMTJvdDVqNHM4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzIEZ3JwSWQDMzY4OTM2MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDY5NTEEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawN0b29sYmFyBHN0aW1lAzExNzIwNDQzNzk-;+AF8-ylg=1/SIG=11c6dvmk9/+ACoAKg-http+ACU-3A//toolbar.yahoo.com/+ACU-3F.cpdl=ygrps>

              • gs rao
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 21 12:53 AM
                  Hi Suresh,

                  Thanks for the information.
                  As per your instruction, i have tried by typing the ppm at command prompt, it's invoking the Perl Package Manager window and control is going to next line and blinking there in the command prompt.
                  In the perl package manager window, it's displaying the status like "Synchronizing Database ... done"

                  I didn't get any message like "PPM - Programmers package..." ?

                  Do we need to change any settings in the ppm window ? Can you please help me on this ?

                  Regards,
                  G.Subba Rao

                • Suresh Nelamangala
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 21 1:45 AM
                    when you type ppm , does a GUI window get launched out of your DOS Prompt ?
                    IF its a GUI window of PPM , then there must be a install option.

                    What is the output on your DOS Prompt when you type ppm there , can you cut
                    paste it here?
                    You must have internet on the machine in which you are trying to install
                    win32:guitest
                    reason : PPM will access CPAN.

                    One more option to get ppm will be

                    Start - Programs - ActiveStatePerl - Perl Package Manager

                    Have you tried this first ?

                    In the active state perl documentation look for - > Using PPM to install
                    modules

                    Hope this helps

                  • gs rao
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 21 7:25 AM
                      Hi Suresh,

                      Thanks for your response.
                      It's working fine.

                      Once again thank you very much for your timely response.