Re: [perlguitest] Re: silktest vs using win32::GuiTest

  • gs rao
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 19, 2007
      Hi Brent,

      I am new to the win32::GuiTest, I want to do the functionality testing of an application using win32::GuiTest. Can you please tell me what are the basic steps, we need to take while designing the automation test frame work for that application using win32::GuiTest ?
      Is there any kind of frame work for the win32::GuiTest ?
      Or can you please guide me how to start the process of automating the functionality testing for an application using win32::GuiTest ?
      if you have any specific documents related to the functionality testing using win32::GuiTest, please send it to me ?

      Thanks for your help

      Regards,
      G.Subba Rao

      brentje <brentje@...> wrote:
      Sure...commercial tools won't give you the source code. That was the
      final deciding factor for me. Some of the commercial tools got close
      to what I needed, but not quite. To be honest, GuiTest didn't do all
      that I needed either. But as I started testing it out, I found it
      easier to provide the missing functionality I needed with GuiTest then
      any of the commercial products. I'm now going above and beyond my
      original expectations for this project. And besides...if you're going
      to program workarounds and additional code for something, you might as
      well use the free product that lets you see their code instead of
      paying for the opportunity to program around a piece of software you
      can't examine.

      For an MFC project GuiTest should provide most, if not all, of the
      functionality you need. If you know Perl, you should be able to
      create extensive testing scripts easily. I'm testing a .Net project,
      so I've had to add a few functions to get what I needed. For most
      scripts I write, it takes me about a day to get the main functionality
      and error message handling written. Another day of data building and
      shakedown, and the script is tested out as part of a complete test
      case. I'm working on a few tools that will take the
      time-to-production down as well. Some of my cases run for days
      working through a huge amount of data. We're already using the
      results to make corrections, and I'm not even halfway through
      scripting our software. So that's my argument for GuiTest, I hope
      this helps.

      Brent

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "thesus03" <thesus03@...> wrote:

      > I am new GUI testing on windows platform. I am currently evaluating
      > various tools and looking at options in terms of automating gui
      > developed using MFC.
      >
      > Other than the obvious that win32::GuiTest is free, are there any other
      > benefits of using win32::GuiTest over commercial tools.

    • brentje
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 20, 2007
        Let me start off by saying that I have not had any formal training in
        testing. I have no documentation on any kinds of testing methodology.
        Anything I do have was found on the net somewhere. I started my
        career off as a programmer, and my interests lay mostly in that area.
        Although I do get a kick out of tearing apart someone else's program,
        so I've grown to like testing. But basically, I looked at the task
        that needed to be done from a programmer's point of view.

        Many of us have created our own framework for the application we are
        testing. I wouldn't say mine is any better then anyone else's because
        I haven't seen anyone else's, but I am proud of it and where it's
        going. I didn't even realize what I was making until the basic code
        was written. But here are the things I went through.

        I was asked to write regression testing scripts, to make sure that the
        steps we've laid out in the manual will work. The basic idea I had
        was to make emulate a normal user as closely as possible. That means
        instead of using code to push a button, I actually move the mouse
        cursor there and click. So the first function I wrote was a Move
        Mouse command. Since the one in GuiTest instantly moves the cursor to
        where you say, I made a loop that moved it incrementally to provide a
        delay and to make it look a little more normal. From there, I moved
        on to filling fields. I decided I didn't want to blindly click with
        mouse coordinates, so I made a function that looked for a field based
        on it's label. Once I find the field, I grab it's screen coordinates
        and feed that into the Move Mouse function. This way, they can move
        the field where ever they want to and I don't have to change my code.
        I think after that I starting coding functions that set a combobox to
        a specific value, grabbing it's location in the drop-down and moving
        the mouse to click on it. After that, things really started getting
        out of hand. I've added code to wait for a window based on it's title
        or it's contents, added logging features, grab screenshots, added code
        to manipulate objects through SendMessage, added XML files to hold
        data that drives the scripts, added database code to interact with the
        data our software uses, created a system to run multiple scripts, and
        probably a few other things I can't think of right now. Next is a
        blackbox testing system, where the scripts intentionally try to make
        error messages show. Without a doubt, it is a lot of work to get a
        system up and running. But the results are worth it in my eyes. I
        don't think I would have gotten anywhere near the results I've gotten
        if I went with the top commercial choice I had.

        But again, this is just my system. It's pretty geared towards the
        software I'm testing, although I've tried to make it as generic as
        possible. I'm sure others have systems that do things I haven't even
        thought of, or provide better ways of doing things. Anyways, this is
        the process I've gone through. It's taken me about a year and a half
        script about a third of our application, and it'll probably take me
        another year or so to script the rest. Well, I hope this helps.

        Brent

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 20, 2007
          Brent,
          Would be possible that you share your code with us?

          --Piotr

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "brentje" <brentje@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > script about a third of our application, and it'll probably take me
          > another year or so to script the rest. Well, I hope this helps.
          >
          > Brent
          >
          > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, gs rao <gsrao_ggt@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Brent,
          > >
          > > I am new to the win32::GuiTest, I want to do the functionality
          > testing of an application using win32::GuiTest. Can you please tell me
          > what are the basic steps, we need to take while designing the
          > automation test frame work for that application using win32::GuiTest ?
          > > Is there any kind of frame work for the win32::GuiTest ?
          > > Or can you please guide me how to start the process of automating
          > the functionality testing for an application using win32::GuiTest ?
          > > if you have any specific documents related to the functionality
          > testing using win32::GuiTest, please send it to me ?

        • brentje
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 20, 2007
            I don't mind sharing snippets, examples of things I've pieced together
            from searching the net. The whole framework...that will be something
            I need to talk over with the owners. Technically the code belongs to
            them, so I can't just toss it onto the net for everyone to grab.
            They've already had a problem with someone walking off with the code
            to the main software we make, so they've put some restrictive clauses
            in all contracts because of it. I would like to make this an open
            source project, but I want to finish off certain parts before I
            present the idea to the owners. I can't tell you how long this will
            be though.

            Brent

            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@...> wrote:

            > Brent,
            > Would be possible that you share your code with us?
            >
            > --Piotr
          • gs rao
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 20, 2007
              Hi Brent,

              Thanks for the information.It has so much information about your experience of working with Win32:GuiTest.Surely, it should help us alot.

              I have a question to you that is I was installed the Active Perl 5.6 in my system and I have tried to install the Win32:GuitTest 2.2 on the same system.
              I have followed as per the instructions given in the installation process of the Win32:GuiTest build.
              While installing the build it's giving error message like "it should not be allowed to install the packages on the current build".

              Can you please tell me how do we install the Win32:GuiTest in my system and what are the steps do i need to take while installation like do we need to install the Active Perl latest version or need to upgrade the latest version or no need to install the Active Perl in my system ?

              Please tell me, Is that Active perl installation will take any affect for the installation of Win32:GuiTest build ?

              Thanks in advance.

              Subba Rao

            • Suresh Nelamangala
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 20, 2007
                hi gs rao,

                Can you do this on your machine
                perl should be in path before you can type ppm here

                C:\>ppm
                PPM - Programmer's Package Manager version 3.1.
                Copyright (c) 2001 ActiveState SRL. All Rights Reserved.

                Entering interactive shell. Using Term::ReadLine::Stub as readline library.

                Type 'help' to get started.

                ppm> install Win32:GuiTest

                On 2/21/07, gs rao <gsrao_ggt@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > another year or so to script the rest. Well, I hope this helps.
                >
                > Brent
                >
                > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com <perlguitest%40yahoogroups.com>, gs rao
                > <gsrao_ggt@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Brent,
                > >
                > > I am new to the win32::GuiTest, I want to do the functionality
                > testing of an application using win32::GuiTest. Can you please tell me
                > what are the basic steps, we need to take while designing the
                > automation test frame work for that application using win32::GuiTest ?
                > > Is there any kind of frame work for the win32::GuiTest ?
                > > Or can you please guide me how to start the process of automating
                > the functionality testing for an application using win32::GuiTest ?
                > > if you have any specific documents related to the functionality
                > testing using win32::GuiTest, please send it to me ?

              • Ernesto Guisado
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 21, 2007
                  Suresh Nelamangala wrote:

> [...]
                  >
                  > Give Back
                  >
                  > Yahoo! for Good
                  > <http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/+AF8-ylc=X3oDMTJtOWcyY29uBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzEEZ3JwSWQDMzY4OTM2MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDY5NTEEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawNicmFuZARzdGltZQMxMTcyMDQ0Mzc5;+AF8-ylg=1/SIG=11314uv3k/+ACoAKg-http+ACU-3A//brand.yahoo.com/forgood>
                  >
                  > Get inspired
                  >
                  > by a good cause.
                  >
                  > Y! Toolbar
                  >
                  > Get it Free!
                  > <http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/+AF8-ylc=X3oDMTJvdDVqNHM4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzIEZ3JwSWQDMzY4OTM2MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDY5NTEEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawN0b29sYmFyBHN0aW1lAzExNzIwNDQzNzk-;+AF8-ylg=1/SIG=11c6dvmk9/+ACoAKg-http+ACU-3A//toolbar.yahoo.com/+ACU-3F.cpdl=ygrps>

                • gs rao
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 21, 2007
                    Hi Suresh,

                    Thanks for the information.
                    As per your instruction, i have tried by typing the ppm at command prompt, it's invoking the Perl Package Manager window and control is going to next line and blinking there in the command prompt.
                    In the perl package manager window, it's displaying the status like "Synchronizing Database ... done"

                    I didn't get any message like "PPM - Programmers package..." ?

                    Do we need to change any settings in the ppm window ? Can you please help me on this ?

                    Regards,
                    G.Subba Rao

                  • Suresh Nelamangala
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 21, 2007
                      when you type ppm , does a GUI window get launched out of your DOS Prompt ?
                      IF its a GUI window of PPM , then there must be a install option.

                      What is the output on your DOS Prompt when you type ppm there , can you cut
                      paste it here?
                      You must have internet on the machine in which you are trying to install
                      win32:guitest
                      reason : PPM will access CPAN.

                      One more option to get ppm will be

                      Start - Programs - ActiveStatePerl - Perl Package Manager

                      Have you tried this first ?

                      In the active state perl documentation look for - > Using PPM to install
                      modules

                      Hope this helps

                    • gs rao
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 21, 2007
                        Hi Suresh,

                        Thanks for your response.
                        It's working fine.

                        Once again thank you very much for your timely response.