Re: silktest vs using win32::GuiTest

  • thesus03
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 19, 2007
      Thanks for your responses.

      I have few more question,

      1) are your gui testing frameworks based on table driven or something
      similar frameworks?
      2) To automate a typical screen, like a login screen how many lines
      of code one needs to write.
      3) I am QA manager for a start up and our features constantly keep
      changing and we have an aggressive schedule. Do you think its worth
      investing in automation using win32::GuiTest?

      Thanks

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "brentje" <brentje@...> wrote:

      > Sure...commercial tools won't give you the source code. That was
      the
      > final deciding factor for me. Some of the commercial tools got
      close
      > to what I needed, but not quite. To be honest, GuiTest didn't do
      all
      > that I needed either. But as I started testing it out, I found it
      > easier to provide the missing functionality I needed with GuiTest
      then
      > any of the commercial products. I'm now going above and beyond my
      > original expectations for this project. And besides...if you're
      going
      > to program workarounds and additional code for something, you might
      as
      > well use the free product that lets you see their code instead of
      > paying for the opportunity to program around a piece of software you
      > can't examine.
      >
      > For an MFC project GuiTest should provide most, if not all, of the
      > functionality you need. If you know Perl, you should be able to
      > create extensive testing scripts easily. I'm testing a .Net
      project,
      > so I've had to add a few functions to get what I needed. For most
      > scripts I write, it takes me about a day to get the main
      functionality
      > and error message handling written. Another day of data building
      and
      > shakedown, and the script is tested out as part of a complete test
      > case. I'm working on a few tools that will take the
      > time-to-production down as well. Some of my cases run for days
      > working through a huge amount of data. We're already using the
      > results to make corrections, and I'm not even halfway through
      > scripting our software. So that's my argument for GuiTest, I hope
      > this helps.
      >
      > Brent
      >
      > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "thesus03" <thesus03@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am new GUI testing on windows platform. I am currently
      evaluating
      > > various tools and looking at options in terms of automating gui
      > > developed using MFC.
      > >
      > > Other than the obvious that win32::GuiTest is free, are there any
      other
      > > benefits of using win32::GuiTest over commercial tools.

    • gs rao
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 19, 2007
        Hi Brent,

        I am new to the win32::GuiTest, I want to do the functionality testing of an application using win32::GuiTest. Can you please tell me what are the basic steps, we need to take while designing the automation test frame work for that application using win32::GuiTest ?
        Is there any kind of frame work for the win32::GuiTest ?
        Or can you please guide me how to start the process of automating the functionality testing for an application using win32::GuiTest ?
        if you have any specific documents related to the functionality testing using win32::GuiTest, please send it to me ?

        Thanks for your help

        Regards,
        G.Subba Rao

        brentje <brentje@...> wrote:
        Sure...commercial tools won't give you the source code. That was the
        final deciding factor for me. Some of the commercial tools got close
        to what I needed, but not quite. To be honest, GuiTest didn't do all
        that I needed either. But as I started testing it out, I found it
        easier to provide the missing functionality I needed with GuiTest then
        any of the commercial products. I'm now going above and beyond my
        original expectations for this project. And besides...if you're going
        to program workarounds and additional code for something, you might as
        well use the free product that lets you see their code instead of
        paying for the opportunity to program around a piece of software you
        can't examine.

        For an MFC project GuiTest should provide most, if not all, of the
        functionality you need. If you know Perl, you should be able to
        create extensive testing scripts easily. I'm testing a .Net project,
        so I've had to add a few functions to get what I needed. For most
        scripts I write, it takes me about a day to get the main functionality
        and error message handling written. Another day of data building and
        shakedown, and the script is tested out as part of a complete test
        case. I'm working on a few tools that will take the
        time-to-production down as well. Some of my cases run for days
        working through a huge amount of data. We're already using the
        results to make corrections, and I'm not even halfway through
        scripting our software. So that's my argument for GuiTest, I hope
        this helps.

        Brent

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "thesus03" <thesus03@...> wrote:

        > I am new GUI testing on windows platform. I am currently evaluating
        > various tools and looking at options in terms of automating gui
        > developed using MFC.
        >
        > Other than the obvious that win32::GuiTest is free, are there any other
        > benefits of using win32::GuiTest over commercial tools.

      • brentje
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 20, 2007
          Let me start off by saying that I have not had any formal training in
          testing. I have no documentation on any kinds of testing methodology.
          Anything I do have was found on the net somewhere. I started my
          career off as a programmer, and my interests lay mostly in that area.
          Although I do get a kick out of tearing apart someone else's program,
          so I've grown to like testing. But basically, I looked at the task
          that needed to be done from a programmer's point of view.

          Many of us have created our own framework for the application we are
          testing. I wouldn't say mine is any better then anyone else's because
          I haven't seen anyone else's, but I am proud of it and where it's
          going. I didn't even realize what I was making until the basic code
          was written. But here are the things I went through.

          I was asked to write regression testing scripts, to make sure that the
          steps we've laid out in the manual will work. The basic idea I had
          was to make emulate a normal user as closely as possible. That means
          instead of using code to push a button, I actually move the mouse
          cursor there and click. So the first function I wrote was a Move
          Mouse command. Since the one in GuiTest instantly moves the cursor to
          where you say, I made a loop that moved it incrementally to provide a
          delay and to make it look a little more normal. From there, I moved
          on to filling fields. I decided I didn't want to blindly click with
          mouse coordinates, so I made a function that looked for a field based
          on it's label. Once I find the field, I grab it's screen coordinates
          and feed that into the Move Mouse function. This way, they can move
          the field where ever they want to and I don't have to change my code.
          I think after that I starting coding functions that set a combobox to
          a specific value, grabbing it's location in the drop-down and moving
          the mouse to click on it. After that, things really started getting
          out of hand. I've added code to wait for a window based on it's title
          or it's contents, added logging features, grab screenshots, added code
          to manipulate objects through SendMessage, added XML files to hold
          data that drives the scripts, added database code to interact with the
          data our software uses, created a system to run multiple scripts, and
          probably a few other things I can't think of right now. Next is a
          blackbox testing system, where the scripts intentionally try to make
          error messages show. Without a doubt, it is a lot of work to get a
          system up and running. But the results are worth it in my eyes. I
          don't think I would have gotten anywhere near the results I've gotten
          if I went with the top commercial choice I had.

          But again, this is just my system. It's pretty geared towards the
          software I'm testing, although I've tried to make it as generic as
          possible. I'm sure others have systems that do things I haven't even
          thought of, or provide better ways of doing things. Anyways, this is
          the process I've gone through. It's taken me about a year and a half
          script about a third of our application, and it'll probably take me
          another year or so to script the rest. Well, I hope this helps.

          Brent

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 20, 2007
            Brent,
            Would be possible that you share your code with us?

            --Piotr

          • brentje
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 20, 2007
              I don't mind sharing snippets, examples of things I've pieced together
              from searching the net. The whole framework...that will be something
              I need to talk over with the owners. Technically the code belongs to
              them, so I can't just toss it onto the net for everyone to grab.
              They've already had a problem with someone walking off with the code
              to the main software we make, so they've put some restrictive clauses
              in all contracts because of it. I would like to make this an open
              source project, but I want to finish off certain parts before I
              present the idea to the owners. I can't tell you how long this will
              be though.

              Brent

              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@...> wrote:

              > Brent,
              > Would be possible that you share your code with us?
              >
              > --Piotr
            • gs rao
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 20, 2007
                Hi Brent,

                Thanks for the information.It has so much information about your experience of working with Win32:GuiTest.Surely, it should help us alot.

                I have a question to you that is I was installed the Active Perl 5.6 in my system and I have tried to install the Win32:GuitTest 2.2 on the same system.
                I have followed as per the instructions given in the installation process of the Win32:GuiTest build.
                While installing the build it's giving error message like "it should not be allowed to install the packages on the current build".

                Can you please tell me how do we install the Win32:GuiTest in my system and what are the steps do i need to take while installation like do we need to install the Active Perl latest version or need to upgrade the latest version or no need to install the Active Perl in my system ?

                Please tell me, Is that Active perl installation will take any affect for the installation of Win32:GuiTest build ?

                Thanks in advance.

                Subba Rao

              • Suresh Nelamangala
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 20, 2007
                  hi gs rao,

                  Can you do this on your machine
                  perl should be in path before you can type ppm here

                  C:\>ppm
                  PPM - Programmer's Package Manager version 3.1.
                  Copyright (c) 2001 ActiveState SRL. All Rights Reserved.

                  Entering interactive shell. Using Term::ReadLine::Stub as readline library.

                  Type 'help' to get started.

                  ppm> install Win32:GuiTest

                  On 2/21/07, gs rao <gsrao_ggt@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > another year or so to script the rest. Well, I hope this helps.
                  >
                  > Brent
                  >
                  > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com <perlguitest%40yahoogroups.com>, gs rao
                  > <gsrao_ggt@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Brent,
                  > >
                  > > I am new to the win32::GuiTest, I want to do the functionality
                  > testing of an application using win32::GuiTest. Can you please tell me
                  > what are the basic steps, we need to take while designing the
                  > automation test frame work for that application using win32::GuiTest ?
                  > > Is there any kind of frame work for the win32::GuiTest ?
                  > > Or can you please guide me how to start the process of automating
                  > the functionality testing for an application using win32::GuiTest ?
                  > > if you have any specific documents related to the functionality
                  > testing using win32::GuiTest, please send it to me ?

                • Ernesto Guisado
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 21, 2007
                    Suresh Nelamangala wrote:

> [...]
                    >
                    > Give Back
                    >
                    > Yahoo! for Good
                    > <http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/+AF8-ylc=X3oDMTJtOWcyY29uBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzEEZ3JwSWQDMzY4OTM2MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDY5NTEEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawNicmFuZARzdGltZQMxMTcyMDQ0Mzc5;+AF8-ylg=1/SIG=11314uv3k/+ACoAKg-http+ACU-3A//brand.yahoo.com/forgood>
                    >
                    > Get inspired
                    >
                    > by a good cause.
                    >
                    > Y! Toolbar
                    >
                    > Get it Free!
                    > <http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/+AF8-ylc=X3oDMTJvdDVqNHM4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzIEZ3JwSWQDMzY4OTM2MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDY5NTEEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawN0b29sYmFyBHN0aW1lAzExNzIwNDQzNzk-;+AF8-ylg=1/SIG=11c6dvmk9/+ACoAKg-http+ACU-3A//toolbar.yahoo.com/+ACU-3F.cpdl=ygrps>

                  • gs rao
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 21, 2007
                      Hi Suresh,

                      Thanks for the information.
                      As per your instruction, i have tried by typing the ppm at command prompt, it's invoking the Perl Package Manager window and control is going to next line and blinking there in the command prompt.
                      In the perl package manager window, it's displaying the status like "Synchronizing Database ... done"

                      I didn't get any message like "PPM - Programmers package..." ?

                      Do we need to change any settings in the ppm window ? Can you please help me on this ?

                      Regards,
                      G.Subba Rao

                    • Suresh Nelamangala
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 21, 2007
                        when you type ppm , does a GUI window get launched out of your DOS Prompt ?
                        IF its a GUI window of PPM , then there must be a install option.

                        What is the output on your DOS Prompt when you type ppm there , can you cut
                        paste it here?
                        You must have internet on the machine in which you are trying to install
                        win32:guitest
                        reason : PPM will access CPAN.

                        One more option to get ppm will be

                        Start - Programs - ActiveStatePerl - Perl Package Manager

                        Have you tried this first ?

                        In the active state perl documentation look for - > Using PPM to install
                        modules

                        Hope this helps

                      • gs rao
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 21, 2007
                          Hi Suresh,

                          Thanks for your response.
                          It's working fine.

                          Once again thank you very much for your timely response.