Re: silktest vs using win32::GuiTest

  • brentje
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 19, 2007
      Sure...commercial tools won't give you the source code. That was the
      final deciding factor for me. Some of the commercial tools got close
      to what I needed, but not quite. To be honest, GuiTest didn't do all
      that I needed either. But as I started testing it out, I found it
      easier to provide the missing functionality I needed with GuiTest then
      any of the commercial products. I'm now going above and beyond my
      original expectations for this project. And besides...if you're going
      to program workarounds and additional code for something, you might as
      well use the free product that lets you see their code instead of
      paying for the opportunity to program around a piece of software you
      can't examine.

      For an MFC project GuiTest should provide most, if not all, of the
      functionality you need. If you know Perl, you should be able to
      create extensive testing scripts easily. I'm testing a .Net project,
      so I've had to add a few functions to get what I needed. For most
      scripts I write, it takes me about a day to get the main functionality
      and error message handling written. Another day of data building and
      shakedown, and the script is tested out as part of a complete test
      case. I'm working on a few tools that will take the
      time-to-production down as well. Some of my cases run for days
      working through a huge amount of data. We're already using the
      results to make corrections, and I'm not even halfway through
      scripting our software. So that's my argument for GuiTest, I hope
      this helps.

      Brent

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "thesus03" <thesus03@...> wrote:

      > I am new GUI testing on windows platform. I am currently evaluating
      > various tools and looking at options in terms of automating gui
      > developed using MFC.
      >
      > Other than the obvious that win32::GuiTest is free, are there any other
      > benefits of using win32::GuiTest over commercial tools.

    • Danny R. Faught
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 19, 2007
        > Other than the obvious that win32::GuiTest is free, are there any other
        > benefits of using win32::GuiTest over commercial tools.

        1) Because Win32::GuiTest is free, you won't be constrained in terms of how many machines you can develop and execute tests on, and you won't have the budget approval and sales process to slow you down once you choose a tool. With the top-tier test tools, you may be severely constrained in terms of how many licenses you can afford.

        2) Because Win32::GuiTest is open source, you can fix bugs and add features, constrained only by your organization's programming skills and/or its ability to contract with someone who can work on the source. It is exceedingly difficult to get large tool vendors to add features and even fix bugs, especially if you represent, say, less than $50,000 of revenue to them.

        3) Win32::GuiTest is uses a general-purpose scripting language (which happens to be my favorite :-). Most commercial tools use a proprietary language that is often missing desirable features. You'll have to learn the proprietary language to use the tool, and won't be able to use that skill anywhere else.

        4) It's easy (or at least possible) to integrate the Win32::GuiTest library with other libraries and tools. Integration with commercial tools is often difficult or impossible.

        With that said, a commercial tool may have some positive points:

        1) A commercial tool probably offers more features than Win32::GuiTest. Some of these features you can get from other free tools or code yourself, but that takes more work.

        2) A commercial tool may be (slightly) less buggy than Win32::GuiTest. Still, expect to find bugs, and don't expect them to get fixed.

        3) A commercial tool may be documented more completely than Win32::GuiTest.

        4) The support agreement you can buy for a commercial tool may give management some peace of mind (even if you don't get a good ROI on it), even compared to paying a consultant or small company to informally support Win32::GuiTest.

        A stronger competitor against an open source tool is likely to come from a small commercial tool vendor. I tend to get much better support from small vendors (see "Let's Hear it for the Underdogs", <http://tejasconsulting.com/stqe/underdogs.pdf>), and usually a lower price. You'll have fewer features, but you won't use most of that chrome anyway.
        --
        Danny R. Faught
        Tejas Software Consulting
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 19, 2007
          Thanks for your responses.

          I have few more question,

          1) are your gui testing frameworks based on table driven or something
          similar frameworks?
          2) To automate a typical screen, like a login screen how many lines
          of code one needs to write.
          3) I am QA manager for a start up and our features constantly keep
          changing and we have an aggressive schedule. Do you think its worth
          investing in automation using win32::GuiTest?

          Thanks

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "brentje" <brentje@...> wrote:

          > Sure...commercial tools won't give you the source code. That was
          the
          > final deciding factor for me. Some of the commercial tools got
          close
          > to what I needed, but not quite. To be honest, GuiTest didn't do
          all
          > that I needed either. But as I started testing it out, I found it
          > easier to provide the missing functionality I needed with GuiTest
          then
          > any of the commercial products. I'm now going above and beyond my
          > original expectations for this project. And besides...if you're
          going
          > to program workarounds and additional code for something, you might
          as
          > well use the free product that lets you see their code instead of
          > paying for the opportunity to program around a piece of software you
          > can't examine.
          >
          > For an MFC project GuiTest should provide most, if not all, of the
          > functionality you need. If you know Perl, you should be able to
          > create extensive testing scripts easily. I'm testing a .Net
          project,
          > so I've had to add a few functions to get what I needed. For most
          > scripts I write, it takes me about a day to get the main
          functionality
          > and error message handling written. Another day of data building
          and
          > shakedown, and the script is tested out as part of a complete test
          > case. I'm working on a few tools that will take the
          > time-to-production down as well. Some of my cases run for days
          > working through a huge amount of data. We're already using the
          > results to make corrections, and I'm not even halfway through
          > scripting our software. So that's my argument for GuiTest, I hope
          > this helps.
          >
          > Brent
          >
          > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "thesus03" <thesus03@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am new GUI testing on windows platform. I am currently
          evaluating
          > > various tools and looking at options in terms of automating gui
          > > developed using MFC.
          > >
          > > Other than the obvious that win32::GuiTest is free, are there any
          other
          > > benefits of using win32::GuiTest over commercial tools.

        • Tim Mitchell
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 19, 2007
            We started using a commercial software test automation package about a
            year or so ago. About that same time I started using Win32::GuiTest.
            To be sure, it has been a lot of work building a framework for testing
            our software. Therre3 is a learning curve to get started either way. I
            generated some other interest here when I demonstrated that
            Win32::GuiTest has the ability to run the 64-bit version of our
            software in spite of the fact that it isn't touted for 64-bit
            applications. The commercial software can't do it at all. It still
            remains to be seen if we can run all parts of the software with
            Win32::Guitest. The real test is going to come when we inevitably
            switch to .NET.

            Weaknesses:
            Lack of canned functions. The only thing keeping me from pushing
            Win32::GuiTest is the lack of built-in functions for handling Tree
            objects. I've pose questions in this forum before and the answer is
            always something like "Use sendmessage". It is a valid anwwer except
            that I really have only had limited success with sendmessage because I
            don't have the expertise to program the more complex forms of
            sendmessage. Maybe if some people in this forum could share some of
            their favorite successes with sendmessage a lot more people would use
            Win32::GuiTest.

            Tim Mitchell
            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "thesus03" <thesus03@...> wrote:

            > I am new GUI testing on windows platform. I am currently evaluating
            > various tools and looking at options in terms of automating gui
            > developed using MFC.
            >
            > Other than the obvious that win32::GuiTest is free, are there any other
            > benefits of using win32::GuiTest over commercial tools.

          • gs rao
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 19, 2007
              Hi Brent,

              I am new to the win32::GuiTest, I want to do the functionality testing of an application using win32::GuiTest. Can you please tell me what are the basic steps, we need to take while designing the automation test frame work for that application using win32::GuiTest ?
              Is there any kind of frame work for the win32::GuiTest ?
              Or can you please guide me how to start the process of automating the functionality testing for an application using win32::GuiTest ?
              if you have any specific documents related to the functionality testing using win32::GuiTest, please send it to me ?

              Thanks for your help

              Regards,
              G.Subba Rao

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 20, 2007
                Let me start off by saying that I have not had any formal training in
                testing. I have no documentation on any kinds of testing methodology.
                Anything I do have was found on the net somewhere. I started my
                career off as a programmer, and my interests lay mostly in that area.
                Although I do get a kick out of tearing apart someone else's program,
                so I've grown to like testing. But basically, I looked at the task
                that needed to be done from a programmer's point of view.

                Many of us have created our own framework for the application we are
                testing. I wouldn't say mine is any better then anyone else's because
                I haven't seen anyone else's, but I am proud of it and where it's
                going. I didn't even realize what I was making until the basic code
                was written. But here are the things I went through.

                I was asked to write regression testing scripts, to make sure that the
                steps we've laid out in the manual will work. The basic idea I had
                was to make emulate a normal user as closely as possible. That means
                instead of using code to push a button, I actually move the mouse
                cursor there and click. So the first function I wrote was a Move
                Mouse command. Since the one in GuiTest instantly moves the cursor to
                where you say, I made a loop that moved it incrementally to provide a
                delay and to make it look a little more normal. From there, I moved
                on to filling fields. I decided I didn't want to blindly click with
                mouse coordinates, so I made a function that looked for a field based
                on it's label. Once I find the field, I grab it's screen coordinates
                and feed that into the Move Mouse function. This way, they can move
                the field where ever they want to and I don't have to change my code.
                I think after that I starting coding functions that set a combobox to
                a specific value, grabbing it's location in the drop-down and moving
                the mouse to click on it. After that, things really started getting
                out of hand. I've added code to wait for a window based on it's title
                or it's contents, added logging features, grab screenshots, added code
                to manipulate objects through SendMessage, added XML files to hold
                data that drives the scripts, added database code to interact with the
                data our software uses, created a system to run multiple scripts, and
                probably a few other things I can't think of right now. Next is a
                blackbox testing system, where the scripts intentionally try to make
                error messages show. Without a doubt, it is a lot of work to get a
                system up and running. But the results are worth it in my eyes. I
                don't think I would have gotten anywhere near the results I've gotten
                if I went with the top commercial choice I had.

                But again, this is just my system. It's pretty geared towards the
                software I'm testing, although I've tried to make it as generic as
                possible. I'm sure others have systems that do things I haven't even
                thought of, or provide better ways of doing things. Anyways, this is
                the process I've gone through. It's taken me about a year and a half
                script about a third of our application, and it'll probably take me
                another year or so to script the rest. Well, I hope this helps.

                Brent

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 20, 2007
                  Brent,
                  Would be possible that you share your code with us?

                  --Piotr

                • brentje
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 20, 2007
                    I don't mind sharing snippets, examples of things I've pieced together
                    from searching the net. The whole framework...that will be something
                    I need to talk over with the owners. Technically the code belongs to
                    them, so I can't just toss it onto the net for everyone to grab.
                    They've already had a problem with someone walking off with the code
                    to the main software we make, so they've put some restrictive clauses
                    in all contracts because of it. I would like to make this an open
                    source project, but I want to finish off certain parts before I
                    present the idea to the owners. I can't tell you how long this will
                    be though.

                    Brent

                    --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@...> wrote:

                    > Brent,
                    > Would be possible that you share your code with us?
                    >
                    > --Piotr
                  • gs rao
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 20, 2007
                      Hi Brent,

                      Thanks for the information.It has so much information about your experience of working with Win32:GuiTest.Surely, it should help us alot.

                      I have a question to you that is I was installed the Active Perl 5.6 in my system and I have tried to install the Win32:GuitTest 2.2 on the same system.
                      I have followed as per the instructions given in the installation process of the Win32:GuiTest build.
                      While installing the build it's giving error message like "it should not be allowed to install the packages on the current build".

                      Can you please tell me how do we install the Win32:GuiTest in my system and what are the steps do i need to take while installation like do we need to install the Active Perl latest version or need to upgrade the latest version or no need to install the Active Perl in my system ?

                      Please tell me, Is that Active perl installation will take any affect for the installation of Win32:GuiTest build ?

                      Thanks in advance.

                      Subba Rao

                    • Suresh Nelamangala
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 20, 2007
                        hi gs rao,

                        Can you do this on your machine
                        perl should be in path before you can type ppm here

                        C:\>ppm
                        PPM - Programmer's Package Manager version 3.1.
                        Copyright (c) 2001 ActiveState SRL. All Rights Reserved.

                        Entering interactive shell. Using Term::ReadLine::Stub as readline library.

                        Type 'help' to get started.

                        ppm> install Win32:GuiTest

                        On 2/21/07, gs rao <gsrao_ggt@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > another year or so to script the rest. Well, I hope this helps.
                        >
                        > Brent
                        >
                        > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com <perlguitest%40yahoogroups.com>, gs rao
                        > <gsrao_ggt@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Brent,
                        > >
                        > > I am new to the win32::GuiTest, I want to do the functionality
                        > testing of an application using win32::GuiTest. Can you please tell me
                        > what are the basic steps, we need to take while designing the
                        > automation test frame work for that application using win32::GuiTest ?
                        > > Is there any kind of frame work for the win32::GuiTest ?
                        > > Or can you please guide me how to start the process of automating
                        > the functionality testing for an application using win32::GuiTest ?
                        > > if you have any specific documents related to the functionality
                        > testing using win32::GuiTest, please send it to me ?

                      • Ernesto Guisado
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 21, 2007
                          Suresh Nelamangala wrote:

> [...]
                          >
                          > Give Back
                          >
                          > Yahoo! for Good
                          > <http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/+AF8-ylc=X3oDMTJtOWcyY29uBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzEEZ3JwSWQDMzY4OTM2MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDY5NTEEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawNicmFuZARzdGltZQMxMTcyMDQ0Mzc5;+AF8-ylg=1/SIG=11314uv3k/+ACoAKg-http+ACU-3A//brand.yahoo.com/forgood>
                          >
                          > Get inspired
                          >
                          > by a good cause.
                          >
                          > Y! Toolbar
                          >
                          > Get it Free!
                          > <http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/+AF8-ylc=X3oDMTJvdDVqNHM4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzIEZ3JwSWQDMzY4OTM2MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDY5NTEEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawN0b29sYmFyBHN0aW1lAzExNzIwNDQzNzk-;+AF8-ylg=1/SIG=11c6dvmk9/+ACoAKg-http+ACU-3A//toolbar.yahoo.com/+ACU-3F.cpdl=ygrps>

                        • gs rao
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 21, 2007
                            Hi Suresh,

                            Thanks for the information.
                            As per your instruction, i have tried by typing the ppm at command prompt, it's invoking the Perl Package Manager window and control is going to next line and blinking there in the command prompt.
                            In the perl package manager window, it's displaying the status like "Synchronizing Database ... done"

                            I didn't get any message like "PPM - Programmers package..." ?

                            Do we need to change any settings in the ppm window ? Can you please help me on this ?

                            Regards,
                            G.Subba Rao

                          • Suresh Nelamangala
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 21, 2007
                              when you type ppm , does a GUI window get launched out of your DOS Prompt ?
                              IF its a GUI window of PPM , then there must be a install option.

                              What is the output on your DOS Prompt when you type ppm there , can you cut
                              paste it here?
                              You must have internet on the machine in which you are trying to install
                              win32:guitest
                              reason : PPM will access CPAN.

                              One more option to get ppm will be

                              Start - Programs - ActiveStatePerl - Perl Package Manager

                              Have you tried this first ?

                              In the active state perl documentation look for - > Using PPM to install
                              modules

                              Hope this helps

                            • gs rao
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 21, 2007
                                Hi Suresh,

                                Thanks for your response.
                                It's working fine.

                                Once again thank you very much for your timely response.