Re: [perlguitest] can winguitest work in locked system ??

  • Tobin Cataldo
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 19, 2006
      No. Windows does not allow a window to be in 'Front' on a locked system.
      You also cannot move from locked to unlocked, but you can use a script
      to edit the registry to allow autologin and then reboot into an unlocked
      state, run your script, then reedit registry and reboot to locked state.
      But the computer will and must be unlocked during the duration of the
      SendKeys scripts.

      Tobin Cataldo

      tikesh.rane@... wrote:

      > hello friends,
      > my perl script doesn't work when the system is locked.. i tried to
      > search on the group if anybody else also had the same problem. i found
      > that may other people had the same problem and they posted mails to find
      > some solution. but i couldn't see any mail in which any solution to this
      > problem is suggested... i want to use script to interact with the system
      > when i am not there and i can't leave my system unlocked :( ... have
      > anybody got any solution to this problem ?? please let me know if u have
      > any solution....
      > --Tikesh .

      > --
      > believed to be clean.
    • Martin McGrath
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 19, 2006
        Tikesh,

        I was making the same mistake, using Win32::GuiTest to interact with apps using the SendKeys method. Under a "locked" system, this will not work. I was advised this is due to security reasons. I doubt that there is a work around for this problem.

        Martin

      • Nahum Cohen
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006

          A possible workaround can be to install VMware or VirtualPC on the real
          machine. This will allow you to run a virtual machine which will run your
          script while the real machine is locked.

          Nahum

          On 12/19/06, Martin McGrath <funny_face_marto@...> wrote:

          > Tikesh,
          >
          > I was making the same mistake, using Win32::GuiTest to interact with
          > apps using the SendKeys method. Under a "locked" system, this will not work.
          > I was advised this is due to security reasons. I doubt that there is a work
          > around for this problem.
          >
          > Martin

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Samirkumar Patel
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
            Hi Tobin,

            I was having the same problem in my old company while doing automation of
            Blackberry synchronization with desktop manager in automation mode and was not
            able to solve the problem.

            Can you please describe your solution better way, with a bit more information?
            It would breat if you can add my following email address in the reply.

            Cheers,
            Samir.
            samir.j.patel@...

            Quoting Tobin Cataldo <tcataldo@...>:

            > No. Windows does not allow a window to be in 'Front' on a locked system.
            > You also cannot move from locked to unlocked, but you can use a script
            > to edit the registry to allow autologin and then reboot into an unlocked
            > state, run your script, then reedit registry and reboot to locked state.
            > But the computer will and must be unlocked during the duration of the
            > SendKeys scripts.
            >
            > Tobin Cataldo
            >
            > tikesh.rane@... wrote:
            >>
            >> hello friends,
            >> my perl script doesn't work when the system is locked.. i tried to
            >> search on the group if anybody else also had the same problem. i found
            >> that may other people had the same problem and they posted mails to find
            >> some solution. but i couldn't see any mail in which any solution to this
            >> problem is suggested... i want to use script to interact with the system
            >> when i am not there and i can't leave my system unlocked :( ... have
            >> anybody got any solution to this problem ?? please let me know if u have
            >> any solution....
            >> --Tikesh .

            >> --
            >> dangerous content by *MailScanner* <http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is
            >> believed to be clean.

          • Tikesh Rane
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 21, 2006
              Nahum,
              your idea is nice, can u please tell me something about installing
              VMware ,, where to get it etc...
              thanks in advance ...
              - Tikesh

              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Nahum Cohen" <nahum.cohen@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > A possible workaround can be to install VMware or VirtualPC on the real
              > machine. This will allow you to run a virtual machine which will run
              your
              > script while the real machine is locked.
              >
              > Nahum
              >

              > On 12/19/06, Martin McGrath <funny_face_marto@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Tikesh,
              > >
              > > I was making the same mistake, using Win32::GuiTest to interact with
              > > apps using the SendKeys method. Under a "locked" system, this will
              not work.
              > > I was advised this is due to security reasons. I doubt that there
              is a work
              > > around for this problem.
              > >
              > > Martin

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Tobin Cataldo
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 21, 2006
                I had to create a local account, and then using Win32::TieRegistry pm to
                edit registry values to allow autologin into the account. You need to
                look at what values are currently set for key --
                HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows
                NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon/ -- as will need to reset these after your
                Win32::Gui is finished.
                ##################

                use Win32::TieRegistry (
                TiedHash=>\%reg,
                Delimiter=>'/',
                );
                use warnings;

                my $logKey ="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows
                NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon/";

                $productKey = $reg{"$logKey"};

                # # setting some other values:
                $$productKey{'DefaultUserName'} = "LOCAL_USER";
                $$productKey{'DefaultPassword'} = "LOCAL_USER_PASSW";
                $$productKey{'DefaultDomainName'} = "LOCAL_DOMAIN_NAME";
                $$productKey{'AutoAdminLogon'} = "1";

                #####################
                Then rebooted with a simple .bat script

                shutdown -r -t 10

                #####################

                Then run the Win32::Gui stuff. Then reedit the registry to get back to
                your defaults. Then reboot again.

                Of course, the computer will be up and accessible during the Win32::Gui
                phase.

                Tobin

                Samirkumar Patel wrote:

                > Hi Tobin,
                >
                > I was having the same problem in my old company while doing automation of
                > Blackberry synchronization with desktop manager in automation mode and
                > was not
                > able to solve the problem.
                >
                > Can you please describe your solution better way, with a bit more
                > information?
                > It would breat if you can add my following email address in the reply.
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Samir.
                > samir.j.patel@... <mailto:samir.j.patel%40morganstanley.com>
                >
                > Quoting Tobin Cataldo <tcataldo@...
                > <mailto:tcataldo%40bham.lib.al.us>>:
                >
                > > No. Windows does not allow a window to be in 'Front' on a locked system.
                > > You also cannot move from locked to unlocked, but you can use a script
                > > to edit the registry to allow autologin and then reboot into an unlocked
                > > state, run your script, then reedit registry and reboot to locked state.
                > > But the computer will and must be unlocked during the duration of the
                > > SendKeys scripts.
                > >
                > > Tobin Cataldo
                > >
                > > tikesh.rane@... <mailto:tikesh.rane%40wipro.com> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> hello friends,
                > >> my perl script doesn't work when the system is locked.. i tried to
                > >> search on the group if anybody else also had the same problem. i found
                > >> that may other people had the same problem and they posted mails to
                > find
                > >> some solution. but i couldn't see any mail in which any solution to
                > this
                > >> problem is suggested... i want to use script to interact with the
                > system
                > >> when i am not there and i can't leave my system unlocked :( ... have
                > >> anybody got any solution to this problem ?? please let me know if u
                > have
                > >> any solution....
                > >> --Tikesh .

                > >> --
                > >> This message has been scanned for viruses and
                > >> dangerous content by *MailScanner* <http://www.mailscanner.info/
                > <http://www.mailscanner.info/>>, and is
                > >> believed to be clean.
                > >

                > --
                > believed to be clean.
              • Nahum Cohen
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 23, 2006

                  VMware Workstation is a powerful application that simulate hardware and
                  allow you to run several OS on a single "real-machine".

                  Check it out at: http://www.vmware.com/products/ws/
                  and: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/ws55_manual.pdf

                  Using this kind of solution you will be able to separate the test
                  environment from the production environment.

                  Enjoy,
                  Nahum