Re: [perlguitest] Are you using Win32::GuiTest?

  • Earthlink-m_ryan
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
      Gabor wrote:

      >I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the module out there? If you are using it, what are you doing with it?

      I use the Win32::GuiTest module to interact with the MLS database in Northern Virginia. I have found no other way to negotiate the website and use the Javascript actions on the pages necessary to retrieve the data I need for my website.
      I control an instance of IExplorer in order to navigate through seven pages to export a search result from listings available on the real estate website. This program runs from task manager once every two hours and is a life saver for updating my database.

      I get occasional mistakes with SendKeys but not so bad as to make me turn my back on the module.

      Matthew Ryan
      703-642-2651
      Administrator/Realtor
      RE/MAX CitySide
      7700 Little River Tpke #305
      Annandale, VA 22003

      http://www.ListingMap.net

      *We will never share your email with anyone without your consent.
      *reply with the word 'remove' in the subject line to stop receiving emails from us.

    • chrs_mcmhn
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Danny R. Faught" <faught@...> wrote:

        > >Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would
        like to
        > >automate the key pressing in some
        > >programs for these operating systems.
        >
        > You can use AppleScript for GUI automation on OS X. I was impressed
        with
        > how much automation is built in to the OS. I could have used a Perl
        > module to bridge to AppleScript, but I decided that because of the
        > skimpy documentation (isn't it always?) for both AppleScript and the
        > Perl module that sits on top of it, it would be best to learn the native
        > AppleScript first.
        >
        > I managed to use AppleScript to script several repetitive tasks in my
        > client's Mac application (which has no explicit scripting support) and
        > caused numerous crashes, many of them reproducible. But when I tried to
        > implement a random monkey test, I never quite figured out how to do it.
        >
        > Linux has something like an X11::Guitest perl module. I haven't tried
        > it. There's also a tool called Android, which isn't object-based, so
        > I don't recommend it.
        >
        > -Danny

      • chrs_mcmhn
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Danny R. Faught" <faught@...> wrote:

          > I have written a "monkey test" for one of my clients that randomly
          > clicks on their application until it crashes. It found several bugs,
          > though they tend to be difficult to reproduce. It's based on a monkey
          > test script I found on a web site, and it relies on Win32::GuiTest. I
          > ought to write a paper about it some day.

          Would that be the monkey-test script that I posted on the
          agile-testing wiki http://www.agilistas.org/agile/MonkeyTestingWindows
          and perlmonks http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=357341 and
          mentioned on the list itself
          http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-testing/message/5427 a couple
          of years ago?
        • enrico_1969
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
            Thanks for the info.

            Enrique

            wrote:

            > >Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would
            like to
            > >automate the key pressing in some
            > >programs for these operating systems.
            >
            > You can use AppleScript for GUI automation on OS X. I was
            impressed with
            > how much automation is built in to the OS. I could have used a
            Perl
            > module to bridge to AppleScript, but I decided that because of the
            > skimpy documentation (isn't it always?) for both AppleScript and
            the
            > Perl module that sits on top of it, it would be best to learn the
            native
            > AppleScript first.
            >
            > I managed to use AppleScript to script several repetitive tasks in
            my
            > client's Mac application (which has no explicit scripting support)
            and
            > caused numerous crashes, many of them reproducible. But when I
            tried to
            > implement a random monkey test, I never quite figured out how to
            do it.

            > Linux has something like an X11::Guitest perl module. I haven't
            tried
            > it. There's also a tool called Android, which isn't object-based,
            so
            > I don't recommend it.
            >
            > -Danny

          • Rajeev Srivastava
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
              Hi, I have started perl GUI test few days ago and I am very happy with the initial API which I am using.For demo purpose I have developed script for calculator testing. I am Planning for presentation in my comp after doig some more projects and real work.

              Regards
              Rajeev

            • Eric
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                I'm currently using it for automating our installation program
                tests. We have a big, and stupid, paper checklist of stuff we have
                to do to make sure our dialog boxes are still working. I'm killing
                that with Perl. It's actually growing to become a decent-sized suite
                using the other Perl testing libraries.

                I'd rather use Ruby - but the Ruby windows automation project isn't
                finished yet and I really don't have the time to put into helping out
                with that.

                --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
                > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more
                than
                > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
                > worked on it very little.
                > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
                most of my
                > work is done on Linux.
                >
                > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
                > people are using it.
                > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
                > module out there?
                > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
                >
                > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
                > GUI, what other
                > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
                >
                > Gabor

              • kpqt01
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006

                  I am using Win32::GuiTest (the only automation tool :) ) to test our
                  company's vsC++ application. I found this tool about 5 months ago and
                  loving it. From basic control to advance control, I able to write
                  mall test scripts as well as building an over all regression GUI test.
                  This tool really give me the feeling that I know what I'm coding and
                  in control.

                  Thanks for the great tool.

                  --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
                  > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more than
                  > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
                  > worked on it very little.
                  > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
                  most of my
                  > work is done on Linux.
                  >
                  > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
                  > people are using it.
                  > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
                  > module out there?
                  > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
                  >
                  > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
                  > GUI, what other
                  > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
                  >
                  > Gabor

                • Anand, Vaitheeswaran (IE10)
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006

                    I used initially and made my team also to use it. Right now I moved to
                    another role so not doing much with it.

                    I would suggest that if possible please share the class room material
                    for your classes so more and more QA professionals will be benefited.

                    Thanks for your good work.

                    V Anand

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 16, 2006
                      On 11/15/06, Anand, Vaitheeswaran (IE10)
                      <Anand.Vaitheeswaran@...> wrote:

                      > I would suggest that if possible please share the class room material
                      > for your classes so more and more QA professionals will be benefited.

                      Though this is not the latest version, you can find the slides and the examples
                      here: http://www.szabgab.com/perl_in_test_automation.html

                      Gabor
                      ps.
                      Invitations for live training classes are welcome
                    • Danny R. Faught
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 19, 2006
                        > 1f. Re: Are you using Win32::GuiTest?
                        > Posted by: "chrs_mcmhn" christopher.mcmahon@... chrs_mcmhn
                        > Would that be the monkey-test script that I posted on the
                        > agile-testing wiki http://www.agilistas.org/agile/MonkeyTestingWindows
                        > and perlmonks http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=357341 and
                        > mentioned on the list itself
                        > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-testing/message/5427 a couple
                        > of years ago?

                        Yes, that looks like it - Google found it for me on perlmonks.org. Thanks! I did a good deal of tweaking to make it more robust and to customize it to dismiss the various dialogs that the particular application might pop up. It's difficult to make even a simple monkey test robust.
                        --
                        Danny R. Faught
                        Tejas Software Consulting