Re: [perlguitest] Are you using Win32::GuiTest?

  • Earthlink-m_ryan
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
      Gabor wrote:

      >I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the module out there? If you are using it, what are you doing with it?

      I use the Win32::GuiTest module to interact with the MLS database in Northern Virginia. I have found no other way to negotiate the website and use the Javascript actions on the pages necessary to retrieve the data I need for my website.
      I control an instance of IExplorer in order to navigate through seven pages to export a search result from listings available on the real estate website. This program runs from task manager once every two hours and is a life saver for updating my database.

      I get occasional mistakes with SendKeys but not so bad as to make me turn my back on the module.

      Matthew Ryan
      703-642-2651
      Administrator/Realtor
      RE/MAX CitySide
      7700 Little River Tpke #305
      Annandale, VA 22003

      http://www.ListingMap.net

      *We will never share your email with anyone without your consent.
      *reply with the word 'remove' in the subject line to stop receiving emails from us.

    • Shanmuhanathan T
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
        on a related note, I have also used windows script/WSH to acheive the
        same ends...

        On 11/14/06, Danny R. Faught <faught@...> wrote:

        > I have written a "monkey test" for one of my clients that randomly
        > clicks on their application until it crashes. It found several bugs,
        > though they tend to be difficult to reproduce. It's based on a monkey
        > test script I found on a web site, and it relies on Win32::GuiTest. I
        > ought to write a paper about it some day.
        >
        > I haven't had the opportunity to do reliability testing for that client
        > lately, so I haven't used the GuiTest module for six months+.
        >
        > I do see a lot of interest from testers in having a free GUI test tool,
        > but most them are not programmers and really want something like with
        > the features and robustness of WinRunner, which we're a long way from.
        >
        > -Danny

      • chrs_mcmhn
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Danny R. Faught" <faught@...> wrote:

          > >Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would
          like to
          > >automate the key pressing in some
          > >programs for these operating systems.
          >
          > You can use AppleScript for GUI automation on OS X. I was impressed
          with
          > how much automation is built in to the OS. I could have used a Perl
          > module to bridge to AppleScript, but I decided that because of the
          > skimpy documentation (isn't it always?) for both AppleScript and the
          > Perl module that sits on top of it, it would be best to learn the native
          > AppleScript first.
          >
          > I managed to use AppleScript to script several repetitive tasks in my
          > client's Mac application (which has no explicit scripting support) and
          > caused numerous crashes, many of them reproducible. But when I tried to
          > implement a random monkey test, I never quite figured out how to do it.
          >
          > Linux has something like an X11::Guitest perl module. I haven't tried
          > it. There's also a tool called Android, which isn't object-based, so
          > I don't recommend it.
          >
          > -Danny

        • chrs_mcmhn
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Danny R. Faught" <faught@...> wrote:

            > I have written a "monkey test" for one of my clients that randomly
            > clicks on their application until it crashes. It found several bugs,
            > though they tend to be difficult to reproduce. It's based on a monkey
            > test script I found on a web site, and it relies on Win32::GuiTest. I
            > ought to write a paper about it some day.

            Would that be the monkey-test script that I posted on the
            agile-testing wiki http://www.agilistas.org/agile/MonkeyTestingWindows
            and perlmonks http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=357341 and
            mentioned on the list itself
            http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-testing/message/5427 a couple
            of years ago?
          • enrico_1969
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
              Thanks for the info.

              Enrique

              wrote:

              > >Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would
              like to
              > >automate the key pressing in some
              > >programs for these operating systems.
              >
              > You can use AppleScript for GUI automation on OS X. I was
              impressed with
              > how much automation is built in to the OS. I could have used a
              Perl
              > module to bridge to AppleScript, but I decided that because of the
              > skimpy documentation (isn't it always?) for both AppleScript and
              the
              > Perl module that sits on top of it, it would be best to learn the
              native
              > AppleScript first.
              >
              > I managed to use AppleScript to script several repetitive tasks in
              my
              > client's Mac application (which has no explicit scripting support)
              and
              > caused numerous crashes, many of them reproducible. But when I
              tried to
              > implement a random monkey test, I never quite figured out how to
              do it.

              > Linux has something like an X11::Guitest perl module. I haven't
              tried
              > it. There's also a tool called Android, which isn't object-based,
              so
              > I don't recommend it.
              >
              > -Danny

            • Rajeev Srivastava
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                Hi, I have started perl GUI test few days ago and I am very happy with the initial API which I am using.For demo purpose I have developed script for calculator testing. I am Planning for presentation in my comp after doig some more projects and real work.

                Regards
                Rajeev

              • Eric
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                  I'm currently using it for automating our installation program
                  tests. We have a big, and stupid, paper checklist of stuff we have
                  to do to make sure our dialog boxes are still working. I'm killing
                  that with Perl. It's actually growing to become a decent-sized suite
                  using the other Perl testing libraries.

                  I'd rather use Ruby - but the Ruby windows automation project isn't
                  finished yet and I really don't have the time to put into helping out
                  with that.

                  --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
                  > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more
                  than
                  > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
                  > worked on it very little.
                  > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
                  most of my
                  > work is done on Linux.
                  >
                  > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
                  > people are using it.
                  > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
                  > module out there?
                  > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
                  >
                  > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
                  > GUI, what other
                  > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
                  >
                  > Gabor

                • kpqt01
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006

                    I am using Win32::GuiTest (the only automation tool :) ) to test our
                    company's vsC++ application. I found this tool about 5 months ago and
                    loving it. From basic control to advance control, I able to write
                    mall test scripts as well as building an over all regression GUI test.
                    This tool really give me the feeling that I know what I'm coding and
                    in control.

                    Thanks for the great tool.

                    --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
                    > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more than
                    > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
                    > worked on it very little.
                    > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
                    most of my
                    > work is done on Linux.
                    >
                    > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
                    > people are using it.
                    > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
                    > module out there?
                    > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
                    >
                    > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
                    > GUI, what other
                    > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
                    >
                    > Gabor

                  • Anand, Vaitheeswaran (IE10)
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006

                      I used initially and made my team also to use it. Right now I moved to
                      another role so not doing much with it.

                      I would suggest that if possible please share the class room material
                      for your classes so more and more QA professionals will be benefited.

                      Thanks for your good work.

                      V Anand

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 16, 2006
                        On 11/15/06, Anand, Vaitheeswaran (IE10)
                        <Anand.Vaitheeswaran@...> wrote:

                        > I would suggest that if possible please share the class room material
                        > for your classes so more and more QA professionals will be benefited.

                        Though this is not the latest version, you can find the slides and the examples
                        here: http://www.szabgab.com/perl_in_test_automation.html

                        Gabor
                        ps.
                        Invitations for live training classes are welcome
                      • Danny R. Faught
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 19, 2006
                          > 1f. Re: Are you using Win32::GuiTest?
                          > Posted by: "chrs_mcmhn" christopher.mcmahon@... chrs_mcmhn
                          > Would that be the monkey-test script that I posted on the
                          > agile-testing wiki http://www.agilistas.org/agile/MonkeyTestingWindows
                          > and perlmonks http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=357341 and
                          > mentioned on the list itself
                          > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-testing/message/5427 a couple
                          > of years ago?

                          Yes, that looks like it - Google found it for me on perlmonks.org. Thanks! I did a good deal of tweaking to make it more robust and to customize it to dismiss the various dialogs that the particular application might pop up. It's difficult to make even a simple monkey test robust.
                          --
                          Danny R. Faught
                          Tejas Software Consulting