Re: [perlguitest] Are you using Win32::GuiTest?

  • Earthlink-m_ryan
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
      Gabor wrote:

      >I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the module out there? If you are using it, what are you doing with it?

      I use the Win32::GuiTest module to interact with the MLS database in Northern Virginia. I have found no other way to negotiate the website and use the Javascript actions on the pages necessary to retrieve the data I need for my website.
      I control an instance of IExplorer in order to navigate through seven pages to export a search result from listings available on the real estate website. This program runs from task manager once every two hours and is a life saver for updating my database.

      I get occasional mistakes with SendKeys but not so bad as to make me turn my back on the module.

      Matthew Ryan
      703-642-2651
      Administrator/Realtor
      RE/MAX CitySide
      7700 Little River Tpke #305
      Annandale, VA 22003

      http://www.ListingMap.net

      *We will never share your email with anyone without your consent.
      *reply with the word 'remove' in the subject line to stop receiving emails from us.

    • Amit Dixit
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006

        In our company we have test automation framework for
        UI testing we are using Wub32::GuiTest and so far its
        rocking:-).

        Thanks,

        Amit

        --- Gabor Szabo <szabgab@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" -
        > among many other
        > things - I have been teaching how to use
        > Win32::GuiTest for more than
        > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module
        > though I have
        > worked on it very little.
        > On the other habd I have never needed it in real
        > life projects as most of my
        > work is done on Linux.
        >
        > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I
        > wonder if you
        > people are using it.
        > I very much would like to know if there are real
        > life uses of the
        > module out there?
        > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
        >
        > If you are using other things to automate
        > interaction with Windows
        > GUI, what other
        > tools are you using? What kind of things are you
        > doing with that?
        >
        > Gabor

      • Shanmuhanathan T
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
          on a related note, I have also used windows script/WSH to acheive the
          same ends...

          On 11/14/06, Danny R. Faught <faught@...> wrote:

          > I have written a "monkey test" for one of my clients that randomly
          > clicks on their application until it crashes. It found several bugs,
          > though they tend to be difficult to reproduce. It's based on a monkey
          > test script I found on a web site, and it relies on Win32::GuiTest. I
          > ought to write a paper about it some day.
          >
          > I haven't had the opportunity to do reliability testing for that client
          > lately, so I haven't used the GuiTest module for six months+.
          >
          > I do see a lot of interest from testers in having a free GUI test tool,
          > but most them are not programmers and really want something like with
          > the features and robustness of WinRunner, which we're a long way from.
          >
          > -Danny

        • Danny R. Faught
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
            >Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would like to
            >automate the key pressing in some
            >programs for these operating systems.

            You can use AppleScript for GUI automation on OS X. I was impressed with
            how much automation is built in to the OS. I could have used a Perl
            module to bridge to AppleScript, but I decided that because of the
            skimpy documentation (isn't it always?) for both AppleScript and the
            Perl module that sits on top of it, it would be best to learn the native
            AppleScript first.

            I managed to use AppleScript to script several repetitive tasks in my
            client's Mac application (which has no explicit scripting support) and
            caused numerous crashes, many of them reproducible. But when I tried to
            implement a random monkey test, I never quite figured out how to do it.

            Linux has something like an X11::Guitest perl module. I haven't tried
            it. There's also a tool called Android, which isn't object-based, so
            I don't recommend it.

            -Danny
          • chrs_mcmhn
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Danny R. Faught" <faught@...> wrote:

              > >Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would
              like to
              > >automate the key pressing in some
              > >programs for these operating systems.
              >
              > You can use AppleScript for GUI automation on OS X. I was impressed
              with
              > how much automation is built in to the OS. I could have used a Perl
              > module to bridge to AppleScript, but I decided that because of the
              > skimpy documentation (isn't it always?) for both AppleScript and the
              > Perl module that sits on top of it, it would be best to learn the native
              > AppleScript first.
              >
              > I managed to use AppleScript to script several repetitive tasks in my
              > client's Mac application (which has no explicit scripting support) and
              > caused numerous crashes, many of them reproducible. But when I tried to
              > implement a random monkey test, I never quite figured out how to do it.
              >
              > Linux has something like an X11::Guitest perl module. I haven't tried
              > it. There's also a tool called Android, which isn't object-based, so
              > I don't recommend it.
              >
              > -Danny

            • chrs_mcmhn
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
                --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Danny R. Faught" <faught@...> wrote:

                > I have written a "monkey test" for one of my clients that randomly
                > clicks on their application until it crashes. It found several bugs,
                > though they tend to be difficult to reproduce. It's based on a monkey
                > test script I found on a web site, and it relies on Win32::GuiTest. I
                > ought to write a paper about it some day.

                Would that be the monkey-test script that I posted on the
                agile-testing wiki http://www.agilistas.org/agile/MonkeyTestingWindows
                and perlmonks http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=357341 and
                mentioned on the list itself
                http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-testing/message/5427 a couple
                of years ago?
              • enrico_1969
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                  Thanks for the info.

                  Enrique

                  wrote:

                  > >Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would
                  like to
                  > >automate the key pressing in some
                  > >programs for these operating systems.
                  >
                  > You can use AppleScript for GUI automation on OS X. I was
                  impressed with
                  > how much automation is built in to the OS. I could have used a
                  Perl
                  > module to bridge to AppleScript, but I decided that because of the
                  > skimpy documentation (isn't it always?) for both AppleScript and
                  the
                  > Perl module that sits on top of it, it would be best to learn the
                  native
                  > AppleScript first.
                  >
                  > I managed to use AppleScript to script several repetitive tasks in
                  my
                  > client's Mac application (which has no explicit scripting support)
                  and
                  > caused numerous crashes, many of them reproducible. But when I
                  tried to
                  > implement a random monkey test, I never quite figured out how to
                  do it.

                  > Linux has something like an X11::Guitest perl module. I haven't
                  tried
                  > it. There's also a tool called Android, which isn't object-based,
                  so
                  > I don't recommend it.
                  >
                  > -Danny

                • Rajeev Srivastava
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                    Hi, I have started perl GUI test few days ago and I am very happy with the initial API which I am using.For demo purpose I have developed script for calculator testing. I am Planning for presentation in my comp after doig some more projects and real work.

                    Regards
                    Rajeev

                  • Eric
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                      I'm currently using it for automating our installation program
                      tests. We have a big, and stupid, paper checklist of stuff we have
                      to do to make sure our dialog boxes are still working. I'm killing
                      that with Perl. It's actually growing to become a decent-sized suite
                      using the other Perl testing libraries.

                      I'd rather use Ruby - but the Ruby windows automation project isn't
                      finished yet and I really don't have the time to put into helping out
                      with that.

                      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
                      > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more
                      than
                      > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
                      > worked on it very little.
                      > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
                      most of my
                      > work is done on Linux.
                      >
                      > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
                      > people are using it.
                      > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
                      > module out there?
                      > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
                      >
                      > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
                      > GUI, what other
                      > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
                      >
                      > Gabor

                    • kpqt01
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006

                        I am using Win32::GuiTest (the only automation tool :) ) to test our
                        company's vsC++ application. I found this tool about 5 months ago and
                        loving it. From basic control to advance control, I able to write
                        mall test scripts as well as building an over all regression GUI test.
                        This tool really give me the feeling that I know what I'm coding and
                        in control.

                        Thanks for the great tool.

                        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
                        > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more than
                        > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
                        > worked on it very little.
                        > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
                        most of my
                        > work is done on Linux.
                        >
                        > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
                        > people are using it.
                        > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
                        > module out there?
                        > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
                        >
                        > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
                        > GUI, what other
                        > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
                        >
                        > Gabor

                      • Anand, Vaitheeswaran (IE10)
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006

                          I used initially and made my team also to use it. Right now I moved to
                          another role so not doing much with it.

                          I would suggest that if possible please share the class room material
                          for your classes so more and more QA professionals will be benefited.

                          Thanks for your good work.

                          V Anand

                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 16, 2006
                            On 11/15/06, Anand, Vaitheeswaran (IE10)
                            <Anand.Vaitheeswaran@...> wrote:

                            > I would suggest that if possible please share the class room material
                            > for your classes so more and more QA professionals will be benefited.

                            Though this is not the latest version, you can find the slides and the examples
                            here: http://www.szabgab.com/perl_in_test_automation.html

                            Gabor
                            ps.
                            Invitations for live training classes are welcome
                          • Danny R. Faught
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 19, 2006
                              > 1f. Re: Are you using Win32::GuiTest?
                              > Posted by: "chrs_mcmhn" christopher.mcmahon@... chrs_mcmhn
                              > Would that be the monkey-test script that I posted on the
                              > agile-testing wiki http://www.agilistas.org/agile/MonkeyTestingWindows
                              > and perlmonks http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=357341 and
                              > mentioned on the list itself
                              > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-testing/message/5427 a couple
                              > of years ago?

                              Yes, that looks like it - Google found it for me on perlmonks.org. Thanks! I did a good deal of tweaking to make it more robust and to customize it to dismiss the various dialogs that the particular application might pop up. It's difficult to make even a simple monkey test robust.
                              --
                              Danny R. Faught
                              Tejas Software Consulting