Re: Are you using Win32::GuiTest?

  • brentje
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
      I've been lurking lately due to health issues, but I am in the middle
      of creating a package for testing the software we develop at work.
      Mind you, it is a .Net program, and Win32::GUITest was not made for
      .Net but I'm the stubborn type. I've had to create a lot of pure Perl
      calls using SendMessage, which I'd be happy to give to the project, to
      get the information that I needed. For the most part, it works. It's
      a little memory intensive, but I think that's more because of my
      design and my lack of understand how to streamline Perl code. Some
      things I can't do yet (want to know that check status of a .Net
      checkbox? False. Always false.), but I've come up with workarounds.
      By the time I have the majority of the test scripts written, I hope
      to have the following functionally:

      Screenshots using Win32::Screenshot (dibSect just wasn't enough)

      Logging with Log4Perl

      A function that searches for a field by it label, and for a field by
      it's X/Y coordinates.

      Get and Set functions to use the info from the field search.

      A rough way of handling .Net main and popup menus.

      A revised SendKeys function that ignores the special characters (try
      using GUITest to enter (this) into a text field, brackets and all).

      Some sort of OCR or something to read values from a report that the
      .Net application generates.

      Verifying DB entries.

      Get and Set functions for the following:

      Treeview (problem I had with this has been fixed though)
      Listbox
      Combobox
      DateTimePicker
      MonthCal (WEEEEEE! That was a fun one...)
      More to come here as needed...

      As well, various functions for simplifying getting control
      coordinates, clicking controls, clearing controls, moving the mouse in
      a more human like fashion, date manulation functions, clearing fields,
      and a few DB related functions. I know some of this are really tied
      to my program and can't be included in GUITest, and some functions are
      .Net only. But yes, I am using it and it has been responsible for
      finding bugs that I've personally overlooked. As a regression testing
      suite, it's incomplete but still useful. Hope to see more progress in
      the years to come.

      Brent

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
      > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more than
      > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
      > worked on it very little.
      > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
      most of my
      > work is done on Linux.
      >
      > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
      > people are using it.
      > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
      > module out there?
      > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
      >
      > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
      > GUI, what other
      > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
      >
      > Gabor

    • y_s_geo
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006

        > > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
        > > GUI, what other
        > > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
        > >
        > > Gabor

        We are using Compuware's QARun , which is not supported anymore , but
        still works for 90% of all GUI application in our company.
        I have implemented a small code snippet using SendKeys func and
        recognizing several Windows in order just to minimize them ; )

        The next move will be to start closing / killing crashed applications
        by just recognizing the crashed dialogboxes and / or windows

        Yet I assume, that the possibilities of this module are allmost
        endless if you could combine the glueness of perl + other profecional
        WinGUI test automation tool and / or java GUI automation tool ...
      • Earthlink-m_ryan
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
          Gabor wrote:

          >I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the module out there? If you are using it, what are you doing with it?

          I use the Win32::GuiTest module to interact with the MLS database in Northern Virginia. I have found no other way to negotiate the website and use the Javascript actions on the pages necessary to retrieve the data I need for my website.
          I control an instance of IExplorer in order to navigate through seven pages to export a search result from listings available on the real estate website. This program runs from task manager once every two hours and is a life saver for updating my database.

          I get occasional mistakes with SendKeys but not so bad as to make me turn my back on the module.

          Matthew Ryan
          703-642-2651
          Administrator/Realtor
          RE/MAX CitySide
          7700 Little River Tpke #305
          Annandale, VA 22003

          http://www.ListingMap.net

          *We will never share your email with anyone without your consent.
          *reply with the word 'remove' in the subject line to stop receiving emails from us.

        • Danny R. Faught
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
            I have written a "monkey test" for one of my clients that randomly
            clicks on their application until it crashes. It found several bugs,
            though they tend to be difficult to reproduce. It's based on a monkey
            test script I found on a web site, and it relies on Win32::GuiTest. I
            ought to write a paper about it some day.

            I haven't had the opportunity to do reliability testing for that client
            lately, so I haven't used the GuiTest module for six months+.

            I do see a lot of interest from testers in having a free GUI test tool,
            but most them are not programmers and really want something like with
            the features and robustness of WinRunner, which we're a long way from.

            -Danny
          • Amit Dixit
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
              Hi,

              In our company we have test automation framework for
              UI testing we are using Wub32::GuiTest and so far its
              rocking:-).

              Thanks,

              Amit

              --- Gabor Szabo <szabgab@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" -
              > among many other
              > things - I have been teaching how to use
              > Win32::GuiTest for more than
              > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module
              > though I have
              > worked on it very little.
              > On the other habd I have never needed it in real
              > life projects as most of my
              > work is done on Linux.
              >
              > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I
              > wonder if you
              > people are using it.
              > I very much would like to know if there are real
              > life uses of the
              > module out there?
              > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
              >
              > If you are using other things to automate
              > interaction with Windows
              > GUI, what other
              > tools are you using? What kind of things are you
              > doing with that?
              >
              > Gabor

            • Shanmuhanathan T
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
                on a related note, I have also used windows script/WSH to acheive the
                same ends...

                On 11/14/06, Danny R. Faught <faught@...> wrote:

                > I have written a "monkey test" for one of my clients that randomly
                > clicks on their application until it crashes. It found several bugs,
                > though they tend to be difficult to reproduce. It's based on a monkey
                > test script I found on a web site, and it relies on Win32::GuiTest. I
                > ought to write a paper about it some day.
                >
                > I haven't had the opportunity to do reliability testing for that client
                > lately, so I haven't used the GuiTest module for six months+.
                >
                > I do see a lot of interest from testers in having a free GUI test tool,
                > but most them are not programmers and really want something like with
                > the features and robustness of WinRunner, which we're a long way from.
                >
                > -Danny

              • Danny R. Faught
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
                  >Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would like to
                  >automate the key pressing in some
                  >programs for these operating systems.

                  You can use AppleScript for GUI automation on OS X. I was impressed with
                  how much automation is built in to the OS. I could have used a Perl
                  module to bridge to AppleScript, but I decided that because of the
                  skimpy documentation (isn't it always?) for both AppleScript and the
                  Perl module that sits on top of it, it would be best to learn the native
                  AppleScript first.

                  I managed to use AppleScript to script several repetitive tasks in my
                  client's Mac application (which has no explicit scripting support) and
                  caused numerous crashes, many of them reproducible. But when I tried to
                  implement a random monkey test, I never quite figured out how to do it.

                  Linux has something like an X11::Guitest perl module. I haven't tried
                  it. There's also a tool called Android, which isn't object-based, so
                  I don't recommend it.

                  -Danny
                • chrs_mcmhn
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
                    --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Danny R. Faught" <faught@...> wrote:

                    > >Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would
                    like to
                    > >automate the key pressing in some
                    > >programs for these operating systems.
                    >
                    > You can use AppleScript for GUI automation on OS X. I was impressed
                    with
                    > how much automation is built in to the OS. I could have used a Perl
                    > module to bridge to AppleScript, but I decided that because of the
                    > skimpy documentation (isn't it always?) for both AppleScript and the
                    > Perl module that sits on top of it, it would be best to learn the native
                    > AppleScript first.
                    >
                    > I managed to use AppleScript to script several repetitive tasks in my
                    > client's Mac application (which has no explicit scripting support) and
                    > caused numerous crashes, many of them reproducible. But when I tried to
                    > implement a random monkey test, I never quite figured out how to do it.
                    >
                    > Linux has something like an X11::Guitest perl module. I haven't tried
                    > it. There's also a tool called Android, which isn't object-based, so
                    > I don't recommend it.
                    >
                    > -Danny

                  • chrs_mcmhn
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
                      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Danny R. Faught" <faught@...> wrote:

                      > I have written a "monkey test" for one of my clients that randomly
                      > clicks on their application until it crashes. It found several bugs,
                      > though they tend to be difficult to reproduce. It's based on a monkey
                      > test script I found on a web site, and it relies on Win32::GuiTest. I
                      > ought to write a paper about it some day.

                      Would that be the monkey-test script that I posted on the
                      agile-testing wiki http://www.agilistas.org/agile/MonkeyTestingWindows
                      and perlmonks http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=357341 and
                      mentioned on the list itself
                      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-testing/message/5427 a couple
                      of years ago?
                    • enrico_1969
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                        Thanks for the info.

                        Enrique

                        wrote:

                        > >Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would
                        like to
                        > >automate the key pressing in some
                        > >programs for these operating systems.
                        >
                        > You can use AppleScript for GUI automation on OS X. I was
                        impressed with
                        > how much automation is built in to the OS. I could have used a
                        Perl
                        > module to bridge to AppleScript, but I decided that because of the
                        > skimpy documentation (isn't it always?) for both AppleScript and
                        the
                        > Perl module that sits on top of it, it would be best to learn the
                        native
                        > AppleScript first.
                        >
                        > I managed to use AppleScript to script several repetitive tasks in
                        my
                        > client's Mac application (which has no explicit scripting support)
                        and
                        > caused numerous crashes, many of them reproducible. But when I
                        tried to
                        > implement a random monkey test, I never quite figured out how to
                        do it.

                        > Linux has something like an X11::Guitest perl module. I haven't
                        tried
                        > it. There's also a tool called Android, which isn't object-based,
                        so
                        > I don't recommend it.
                        >
                        > -Danny

                      • Rajeev Srivastava
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                          Hi, I have started perl GUI test few days ago and I am very happy with the initial API which I am using.For demo purpose I have developed script for calculator testing. I am Planning for presentation in my comp after doig some more projects and real work.

                          Regards
                          Rajeev

                        • Eric
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                            I'm currently using it for automating our installation program
                            tests. We have a big, and stupid, paper checklist of stuff we have
                            to do to make sure our dialog boxes are still working. I'm killing
                            that with Perl. It's actually growing to become a decent-sized suite
                            using the other Perl testing libraries.

                            I'd rather use Ruby - but the Ruby windows automation project isn't
                            finished yet and I really don't have the time to put into helping out
                            with that.

                            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

                            > Hi,
                            >
                            > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
                            > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more
                            than
                            > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
                            > worked on it very little.
                            > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
                            most of my
                            > work is done on Linux.
                            >
                            > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
                            > people are using it.
                            > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
                            > module out there?
                            > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
                            >
                            > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
                            > GUI, what other
                            > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
                            >
                            > Gabor

                          • kpqt01
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                              Hi,

                              I am using Win32::GuiTest (the only automation tool :) ) to test our
                              company's vsC++ application. I found this tool about 5 months ago and
                              loving it. From basic control to advance control, I able to write
                              mall test scripts as well as building an over all regression GUI test.
                              This tool really give me the feeling that I know what I'm coding and
                              in control.

                              Thanks for the great tool.

                              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              >
                              > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
                              > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more than
                              > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
                              > worked on it very little.
                              > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
                              most of my
                              > work is done on Linux.
                              >
                              > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
                              > people are using it.
                              > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
                              > module out there?
                              > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
                              >
                              > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
                              > GUI, what other
                              > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
                              >
                              > Gabor

                            • Anand, Vaitheeswaran (IE10)
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                                Hi,

                                I used initially and made my team also to use it. Right now I moved to
                                another role so not doing much with it.

                                I would suggest that if possible please share the class room material
                                for your classes so more and more QA professionals will be benefited.

                                Thanks for your good work.

                                V Anand

                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 16, 2006
                                  On 11/15/06, Anand, Vaitheeswaran (IE10)
                                  <Anand.Vaitheeswaran@...> wrote:

                                  > I would suggest that if possible please share the class room material
                                  > for your classes so more and more QA professionals will be benefited.

                                  Though this is not the latest version, you can find the slides and the examples
                                  here: http://www.szabgab.com/perl_in_test_automation.html

                                  Gabor
                                  ps.
                                  Invitations for live training classes are welcome
                                • Danny R. Faught
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 19, 2006
                                    > 1f. Re: Are you using Win32::GuiTest?
                                    > Posted by: "chrs_mcmhn" christopher.mcmahon@... chrs_mcmhn
                                    > Would that be the monkey-test script that I posted on the
                                    > agile-testing wiki http://www.agilistas.org/agile/MonkeyTestingWindows
                                    > and perlmonks http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=357341 and
                                    > mentioned on the list itself
                                    > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-testing/message/5427 a couple
                                    > of years ago?

                                    Yes, that looks like it - Google found it for me on perlmonks.org. Thanks! I did a good deal of tweaking to make it more robust and to customize it to dismiss the various dialogs that the particular application might pop up. It's difficult to make even a simple monkey test robust.
                                    --
                                    Danny R. Faught
                                    Tejas Software Consulting