Re: Are you using Win32::GuiTest?

  • chrs_mcmhn
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
      > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
      > GUI, what other
      > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?

      I use it occasionally in conjunction with Watir to handle popup
      windows. I still think Perl Win32::GuiTest is the best solution for
      them, although the Watir people are making improvements to that.

      Also, we are very slowly porting it to Ruby:
      http://rubyforge.org/projects/guitest/
    • brentje
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
        I've been lurking lately due to health issues, but I am in the middle
        of creating a package for testing the software we develop at work.
        Mind you, it is a .Net program, and Win32::GUITest was not made for
        .Net but I'm the stubborn type. I've had to create a lot of pure Perl
        calls using SendMessage, which I'd be happy to give to the project, to
        get the information that I needed. For the most part, it works. It's
        a little memory intensive, but I think that's more because of my
        design and my lack of understand how to streamline Perl code. Some
        things I can't do yet (want to know that check status of a .Net
        checkbox? False. Always false.), but I've come up with workarounds.
        By the time I have the majority of the test scripts written, I hope
        to have the following functionally:

        Screenshots using Win32::Screenshot (dibSect just wasn't enough)

        Logging with Log4Perl

        A function that searches for a field by it label, and for a field by
        it's X/Y coordinates.

        Get and Set functions to use the info from the field search.

        A rough way of handling .Net main and popup menus.

        A revised SendKeys function that ignores the special characters (try
        using GUITest to enter (this) into a text field, brackets and all).

        Some sort of OCR or something to read values from a report that the
        .Net application generates.

        Verifying DB entries.

        Get and Set functions for the following:

        Treeview (problem I had with this has been fixed though)
        Listbox
        Combobox
        DateTimePicker
        MonthCal (WEEEEEE! That was a fun one...)
        More to come here as needed...

        As well, various functions for simplifying getting control
        coordinates, clicking controls, clearing controls, moving the mouse in
        a more human like fashion, date manulation functions, clearing fields,
        and a few DB related functions. I know some of this are really tied
        to my program and can't be included in GUITest, and some functions are
        .Net only. But yes, I am using it and it has been responsible for
        finding bugs that I've personally overlooked. As a regression testing
        suite, it's incomplete but still useful. Hope to see more progress in
        the years to come.

        Brent

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
        > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more than
        > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
        > worked on it very little.
        > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
        most of my
        > work is done on Linux.
        >
        > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
        > people are using it.
        > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
        > module out there?
        > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
        >
        > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
        > GUI, what other
        > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
        >
        > Gabor

      • y_s_geo
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006

          > > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
          > > GUI, what other
          > > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
          > >
          > > Gabor

          We are using Compuware's QARun , which is not supported anymore , but
          still works for 90% of all GUI application in our company.
          I have implemented a small code snippet using SendKeys func and
          recognizing several Windows in order just to minimize them ; )

          The next move will be to start closing / killing crashed applications
          by just recognizing the crashed dialogboxes and / or windows

          Yet I assume, that the possibilities of this module are allmost
          endless if you could combine the glueness of perl + other profecional
          WinGUI test automation tool and / or java GUI automation tool ...
        • Earthlink-m_ryan
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
            Gabor wrote:

            >I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the module out there? If you are using it, what are you doing with it?

            I use the Win32::GuiTest module to interact with the MLS database in Northern Virginia. I have found no other way to negotiate the website and use the Javascript actions on the pages necessary to retrieve the data I need for my website.
            I control an instance of IExplorer in order to navigate through seven pages to export a search result from listings available on the real estate website. This program runs from task manager once every two hours and is a life saver for updating my database.

            I get occasional mistakes with SendKeys but not so bad as to make me turn my back on the module.

            Matthew Ryan
            703-642-2651
            Administrator/Realtor
            RE/MAX CitySide
            7700 Little River Tpke #305
            Annandale, VA 22003

            http://www.ListingMap.net

            *We will never share your email with anyone without your consent.
            *reply with the word 'remove' in the subject line to stop receiving emails from us.

          • Danny R. Faught
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
              I have written a "monkey test" for one of my clients that randomly
              clicks on their application until it crashes. It found several bugs,
              though they tend to be difficult to reproduce. It's based on a monkey
              test script I found on a web site, and it relies on Win32::GuiTest. I
              ought to write a paper about it some day.

              I haven't had the opportunity to do reliability testing for that client
              lately, so I haven't used the GuiTest module for six months+.

              I do see a lot of interest from testers in having a free GUI test tool,
              but most them are not programmers and really want something like with
              the features and robustness of WinRunner, which we're a long way from.

              -Danny
            • Amit Dixit
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006

                In our company we have test automation framework for
                UI testing we are using Wub32::GuiTest and so far its
                rocking:-).

                Thanks,

                Amit

                --- Gabor Szabo <szabgab@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" -
                > among many other
                > things - I have been teaching how to use
                > Win32::GuiTest for more than
                > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module
                > though I have
                > worked on it very little.
                > On the other habd I have never needed it in real
                > life projects as most of my
                > work is done on Linux.
                >
                > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I
                > wonder if you
                > people are using it.
                > I very much would like to know if there are real
                > life uses of the
                > module out there?
                > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
                >
                > If you are using other things to automate
                > interaction with Windows
                > GUI, what other
                > tools are you using? What kind of things are you
                > doing with that?
                >
                > Gabor

              • Shanmuhanathan T
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
                  on a related note, I have also used windows script/WSH to acheive the
                  same ends...

                  On 11/14/06, Danny R. Faught <faught@...> wrote:

                  > I have written a "monkey test" for one of my clients that randomly
                  > clicks on their application until it crashes. It found several bugs,
                  > though they tend to be difficult to reproduce. It's based on a monkey
                  > test script I found on a web site, and it relies on Win32::GuiTest. I
                  > ought to write a paper about it some day.
                  >
                  > I haven't had the opportunity to do reliability testing for that client
                  > lately, so I haven't used the GuiTest module for six months+.
                  >
                  > I do see a lot of interest from testers in having a free GUI test tool,
                  > but most them are not programmers and really want something like with
                  > the features and robustness of WinRunner, which we're a long way from.
                  >
                  > -Danny

                • Danny R. Faught
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
                    >Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would like to
                    >automate the key pressing in some
                    >programs for these operating systems.

                    You can use AppleScript for GUI automation on OS X. I was impressed with
                    how much automation is built in to the OS. I could have used a Perl
                    module to bridge to AppleScript, but I decided that because of the
                    skimpy documentation (isn't it always?) for both AppleScript and the
                    Perl module that sits on top of it, it would be best to learn the native
                    AppleScript first.

                    I managed to use AppleScript to script several repetitive tasks in my
                    client's Mac application (which has no explicit scripting support) and
                    caused numerous crashes, many of them reproducible. But when I tried to
                    implement a random monkey test, I never quite figured out how to do it.

                    Linux has something like an X11::Guitest perl module. I haven't tried
                    it. There's also a tool called Android, which isn't object-based, so
                    I don't recommend it.

                    -Danny
                  • chrs_mcmhn
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
                      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Danny R. Faught" <faught@...> wrote:

                      > >Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would
                      like to
                      > >automate the key pressing in some
                      > >programs for these operating systems.
                      >
                      > You can use AppleScript for GUI automation on OS X. I was impressed
                      with
                      > how much automation is built in to the OS. I could have used a Perl
                      > module to bridge to AppleScript, but I decided that because of the
                      > skimpy documentation (isn't it always?) for both AppleScript and the
                      > Perl module that sits on top of it, it would be best to learn the native
                      > AppleScript first.
                      >
                      > I managed to use AppleScript to script several repetitive tasks in my
                      > client's Mac application (which has no explicit scripting support) and
                      > caused numerous crashes, many of them reproducible. But when I tried to
                      > implement a random monkey test, I never quite figured out how to do it.
                      >
                      > Linux has something like an X11::Guitest perl module. I haven't tried
                      > it. There's also a tool called Android, which isn't object-based, so
                      > I don't recommend it.
                      >
                      > -Danny

                    • chrs_mcmhn
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
                        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Danny R. Faught" <faught@...> wrote:

                        > I have written a "monkey test" for one of my clients that randomly
                        > clicks on their application until it crashes. It found several bugs,
                        > though they tend to be difficult to reproduce. It's based on a monkey
                        > test script I found on a web site, and it relies on Win32::GuiTest. I
                        > ought to write a paper about it some day.

                        Would that be the monkey-test script that I posted on the
                        agile-testing wiki http://www.agilistas.org/agile/MonkeyTestingWindows
                        and perlmonks http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=357341 and
                        mentioned on the list itself
                        http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-testing/message/5427 a couple
                        of years ago?
                      • enrico_1969
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                          Thanks for the info.

                          Enrique

                          wrote:

                          > >Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would
                          like to
                          > >automate the key pressing in some
                          > >programs for these operating systems.
                          >
                          > You can use AppleScript for GUI automation on OS X. I was
                          impressed with
                          > how much automation is built in to the OS. I could have used a
                          Perl
                          > module to bridge to AppleScript, but I decided that because of the
                          > skimpy documentation (isn't it always?) for both AppleScript and
                          the
                          > Perl module that sits on top of it, it would be best to learn the
                          native
                          > AppleScript first.
                          >
                          > I managed to use AppleScript to script several repetitive tasks in
                          my
                          > client's Mac application (which has no explicit scripting support)
                          and
                          > caused numerous crashes, many of them reproducible. But when I
                          tried to
                          > implement a random monkey test, I never quite figured out how to
                          do it.

                          > Linux has something like an X11::Guitest perl module. I haven't
                          tried
                          > it. There's also a tool called Android, which isn't object-based,
                          so
                          > I don't recommend it.
                          >
                          > -Danny

                        • Rajeev Srivastava
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                            Hi, I have started perl GUI test few days ago and I am very happy with the initial API which I am using.For demo purpose I have developed script for calculator testing. I am Planning for presentation in my comp after doig some more projects and real work.

                            Regards
                            Rajeev

                          • Eric
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                              I'm currently using it for automating our installation program
                              tests. We have a big, and stupid, paper checklist of stuff we have
                              to do to make sure our dialog boxes are still working. I'm killing
                              that with Perl. It's actually growing to become a decent-sized suite
                              using the other Perl testing libraries.

                              I'd rather use Ruby - but the Ruby windows automation project isn't
                              finished yet and I really don't have the time to put into helping out
                              with that.

                              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              >
                              > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
                              > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more
                              than
                              > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
                              > worked on it very little.
                              > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
                              most of my
                              > work is done on Linux.
                              >
                              > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
                              > people are using it.
                              > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
                              > module out there?
                              > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
                              >
                              > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
                              > GUI, what other
                              > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
                              >
                              > Gabor

                            • kpqt01
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006

                                I am using Win32::GuiTest (the only automation tool :) ) to test our
                                company's vsC++ application. I found this tool about 5 months ago and
                                loving it. From basic control to advance control, I able to write
                                mall test scripts as well as building an over all regression GUI test.
                                This tool really give me the feeling that I know what I'm coding and
                                in control.

                                Thanks for the great tool.

                                --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
                                > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more than
                                > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
                                > worked on it very little.
                                > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
                                most of my
                                > work is done on Linux.
                                >
                                > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
                                > people are using it.
                                > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
                                > module out there?
                                > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
                                >
                                > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
                                > GUI, what other
                                > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
                                >
                                > Gabor

                              • Anand, Vaitheeswaran (IE10)
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006

                                  I used initially and made my team also to use it. Right now I moved to
                                  another role so not doing much with it.

                                  I would suggest that if possible please share the class room material
                                  for your classes so more and more QA professionals will be benefited.

                                  Thanks for your good work.

                                  V Anand

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 16, 2006
                                    On 11/15/06, Anand, Vaitheeswaran (IE10)
                                    <Anand.Vaitheeswaran@...> wrote:

                                    > I would suggest that if possible please share the class room material
                                    > for your classes so more and more QA professionals will be benefited.

                                    Though this is not the latest version, you can find the slides and the examples
                                    here: http://www.szabgab.com/perl_in_test_automation.html

                                    Gabor
                                    ps.
                                    Invitations for live training classes are welcome
                                  • Danny R. Faught
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 19, 2006
                                      > 1f. Re: Are you using Win32::GuiTest?
                                      > Posted by: "chrs_mcmhn" christopher.mcmahon@... chrs_mcmhn
                                      > Would that be the monkey-test script that I posted on the
                                      > agile-testing wiki http://www.agilistas.org/agile/MonkeyTestingWindows
                                      > and perlmonks http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=357341 and
                                      > mentioned on the list itself
                                      > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-testing/message/5427 a couple
                                      > of years ago?

                                      Yes, that looks like it - Google found it for me on perlmonks.org. Thanks! I did a good deal of tweaking to make it more robust and to customize it to dismiss the various dialogs that the particular application might pop up. It's difficult to make even a simple monkey test robust.
                                      --
                                      Danny R. Faught
                                      Tejas Software Consulting