RE: [perlguitest] Are you using Win32::GuiTest?

  • Enrique Nell
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
      Hi

      It's a great module.
      I have used it to automate some tasks in applications for which I don't have
      COM access to the object model
      (i.e., can't do the job using Win32::OLE) nor a macro language, or to assign
      to a single key the action of pressing
      several keys sequentially.
      As an example, a colleague of mine had to export every two weeks more than
      130 password-protected databases
      of a specific kind. He didn't have access to the SDK and the object model
      was only partially exposed through VS
      Object Browser. To export them manually, he had to open every database in
      the host application, select some
      menus and options (some 15 clicks) and export them. This was a time- and
      nerve-consuming task.
      So I used Win32::GuiTest to simulate a user with quick fingers and lots of
      patience to create automatically the
      database exports, and it worked fine (and a lot faster than the human-based
      procedure).

      Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would like to
      automate the key pressing in some
      programs for these operating systems.

      Best regards
      Enrique

      _____

      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
        Hi Gabor,
        This is a very good post and a good question, which may stimulate the
        discussion on what is going to be a future of Win32::GuiTest.
        I am using Win32::GuiTest in real life in automation of tests of
        application written in VC++.

        I see the followin factors which will have a serious impact on
        Win32::GuiTest popularity:
        1. Win32::GuiTest usefulness - it depends on the tool itself. For my
        purposes it is sufficient and I am really happy, with features it
        gives me. Despite the fact that it misses some basic functions for
        data setting/getting for important, well known controls, there are
        workarounds. Moreover, I have observed, that it is safer to set
        controls values simulating key strokes and mouse clicks, since they
        generate all side effects, generated during human interaction.

        2. Popularity of VC++.
        Win32::GuiTest is best suited for automating programs written in VC++
        or VB. It has limited use for java and web browsers based
        applications. It also may have some problems with .net apps (I have no
        practical experience in this area). I believe population of
        applications written in VC++ will decrease. There still would be quite
        a few of them, but I expect that almost none of new projects will
        choose VC++ as their development language. VC++ will play the same
        role as cobol played 20 years ago - there will be a high demand for
        developers knowning it, but no company will decide to choose it as a
        language for developing something from scratch. At least in the area
        of business applications. In system programming C, C++ and VC++ will
        probably be indispensible for a very, very long time.
        If it occurs that there is no way of making Win32::GuiTest a viable
        option of dealing with .net applications, Win32::GuiTest future will
        be tightly bound with the future of VC++ and Win32 api programming.

        I may be wrong, as most IT related predictions are.

        It would be good to hear voices from people using it in real life test
        automation.
        In the most recent version of Win32::GuiTest documentation I have
        added some encouragement to share experience. This sharing may be
        beneficial for all of us.

        --Piotr

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
        > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more than
        > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
        > worked on it very little.
        > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
        most of my
        > work is done on Linux.
        >
        > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
        > people are using it.
        > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
        > module out there?
        > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
        >
        > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
        > GUI, what other
        > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
        >
        > Gabor

      • chrs_mcmhn
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
          > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
          > GUI, what other
          > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?

          I use it occasionally in conjunction with Watir to handle popup
          windows. I still think Perl Win32::GuiTest is the best solution for
          them, although the Watir people are making improvements to that.

          Also, we are very slowly porting it to Ruby:
          http://rubyforge.org/projects/guitest/
        • brentje
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
            I've been lurking lately due to health issues, but I am in the middle
            of creating a package for testing the software we develop at work.
            Mind you, it is a .Net program, and Win32::GUITest was not made for
            .Net but I'm the stubborn type. I've had to create a lot of pure Perl
            calls using SendMessage, which I'd be happy to give to the project, to
            get the information that I needed. For the most part, it works. It's
            a little memory intensive, but I think that's more because of my
            design and my lack of understand how to streamline Perl code. Some
            things I can't do yet (want to know that check status of a .Net
            checkbox? False. Always false.), but I've come up with workarounds.
            By the time I have the majority of the test scripts written, I hope
            to have the following functionally:

            Screenshots using Win32::Screenshot (dibSect just wasn't enough)

            Logging with Log4Perl

            A function that searches for a field by it label, and for a field by
            it's X/Y coordinates.

            Get and Set functions to use the info from the field search.

            A rough way of handling .Net main and popup menus.

            A revised SendKeys function that ignores the special characters (try
            using GUITest to enter (this) into a text field, brackets and all).

            Some sort of OCR or something to read values from a report that the
            .Net application generates.

            Verifying DB entries.

            Get and Set functions for the following:

            Treeview (problem I had with this has been fixed though)
            Listbox
            Combobox
            DateTimePicker
            MonthCal (WEEEEEE! That was a fun one...)
            More to come here as needed...

            As well, various functions for simplifying getting control
            coordinates, clicking controls, clearing controls, moving the mouse in
            a more human like fashion, date manulation functions, clearing fields,
            and a few DB related functions. I know some of this are really tied
            to my program and can't be included in GUITest, and some functions are
            .Net only. But yes, I am using it and it has been responsible for
            finding bugs that I've personally overlooked. As a regression testing
            suite, it's incomplete but still useful. Hope to see more progress in
            the years to come.

            Brent

            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
            > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more than
            > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
            > worked on it very little.
            > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
            most of my
            > work is done on Linux.
            >
            > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
            > people are using it.
            > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
            > module out there?
            > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
            >
            > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
            > GUI, what other
            > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
            >
            > Gabor

          • y_s_geo
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006

              > > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
              > > GUI, what other
              > > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
              > >
              > > Gabor

              We are using Compuware's QARun , which is not supported anymore , but
              still works for 90% of all GUI application in our company.
              I have implemented a small code snippet using SendKeys func and
              recognizing several Windows in order just to minimize them ; )

              The next move will be to start closing / killing crashed applications
              by just recognizing the crashed dialogboxes and / or windows

              Yet I assume, that the possibilities of this module are allmost
              endless if you could combine the glueness of perl + other profecional
              WinGUI test automation tool and / or java GUI automation tool ...
            • Earthlink-m_ryan
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
                Gabor wrote:

                >I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the module out there? If you are using it, what are you doing with it?

                I use the Win32::GuiTest module to interact with the MLS database in Northern Virginia. I have found no other way to negotiate the website and use the Javascript actions on the pages necessary to retrieve the data I need for my website.
                I control an instance of IExplorer in order to navigate through seven pages to export a search result from listings available on the real estate website. This program runs from task manager once every two hours and is a life saver for updating my database.

                I get occasional mistakes with SendKeys but not so bad as to make me turn my back on the module.

                Matthew Ryan
                703-642-2651
                Administrator/Realtor
                RE/MAX CitySide
                7700 Little River Tpke #305
                Annandale, VA 22003

                http://www.ListingMap.net

                *We will never share your email with anyone without your consent.
                *reply with the word 'remove' in the subject line to stop receiving emails from us.

              • Danny R. Faught
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
                  I have written a "monkey test" for one of my clients that randomly
                  clicks on their application until it crashes. It found several bugs,
                  though they tend to be difficult to reproduce. It's based on a monkey
                  test script I found on a web site, and it relies on Win32::GuiTest. I
                  ought to write a paper about it some day.

                  I haven't had the opportunity to do reliability testing for that client
                  lately, so I haven't used the GuiTest module for six months+.

                  I do see a lot of interest from testers in having a free GUI test tool,
                  but most them are not programmers and really want something like with
                  the features and robustness of WinRunner, which we're a long way from.

                  -Danny
                • Amit Dixit
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006

                    In our company we have test automation framework for
                    UI testing we are using Wub32::GuiTest and so far its
                    rocking:-).

                    Thanks,

                    Amit

                    --- Gabor Szabo <szabgab@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" -
                    > among many other
                    > things - I have been teaching how to use
                    > Win32::GuiTest for more than
                    > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module
                    > though I have
                    > worked on it very little.
                    > On the other habd I have never needed it in real
                    > life projects as most of my
                    > work is done on Linux.
                    >
                    > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I
                    > wonder if you
                    > people are using it.
                    > I very much would like to know if there are real
                    > life uses of the
                    > module out there?
                    > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
                    >
                    > If you are using other things to automate
                    > interaction with Windows
                    > GUI, what other
                    > tools are you using? What kind of things are you
                    > doing with that?
                    >
                    > Gabor

                  • Shanmuhanathan T
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
                      on a related note, I have also used windows script/WSH to acheive the
                      same ends...

                      On 11/14/06, Danny R. Faught <faught@...> wrote:

                      > I have written a "monkey test" for one of my clients that randomly
                      > clicks on their application until it crashes. It found several bugs,
                      > though they tend to be difficult to reproduce. It's based on a monkey
                      > test script I found on a web site, and it relies on Win32::GuiTest. I
                      > ought to write a paper about it some day.
                      >
                      > I haven't had the opportunity to do reliability testing for that client
                      > lately, so I haven't used the GuiTest module for six months+.
                      >
                      > I do see a lot of interest from testers in having a free GUI test tool,
                      > but most them are not programmers and really want something like with
                      > the features and robustness of WinRunner, which we're a long way from.
                      >
                      > -Danny

                    • Danny R. Faught
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
                        >Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would like to
                        >automate the key pressing in some
                        >programs for these operating systems.

                        You can use AppleScript for GUI automation on OS X. I was impressed with
                        how much automation is built in to the OS. I could have used a Perl
                        module to bridge to AppleScript, but I decided that because of the
                        skimpy documentation (isn't it always?) for both AppleScript and the
                        Perl module that sits on top of it, it would be best to learn the native
                        AppleScript first.

                        I managed to use AppleScript to script several repetitive tasks in my
                        client's Mac application (which has no explicit scripting support) and
                        caused numerous crashes, many of them reproducible. But when I tried to
                        implement a random monkey test, I never quite figured out how to do it.

                        Linux has something like an X11::Guitest perl module. I haven't tried
                        it. There's also a tool called Android, which isn't object-based, so
                        I don't recommend it.

                        -Danny
                      • chrs_mcmhn
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
                          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Danny R. Faught" <faught@...> wrote:

                          > >Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would
                          like to
                          > >automate the key pressing in some
                          > >programs for these operating systems.
                          >
                          > You can use AppleScript for GUI automation on OS X. I was impressed
                          with
                          > how much automation is built in to the OS. I could have used a Perl
                          > module to bridge to AppleScript, but I decided that because of the
                          > skimpy documentation (isn't it always?) for both AppleScript and the
                          > Perl module that sits on top of it, it would be best to learn the native
                          > AppleScript first.
                          >
                          > I managed to use AppleScript to script several repetitive tasks in my
                          > client's Mac application (which has no explicit scripting support) and
                          > caused numerous crashes, many of them reproducible. But when I tried to
                          > implement a random monkey test, I never quite figured out how to do it.
                          >
                          > Linux has something like an X11::Guitest perl module. I haven't tried
                          > it. There's also a tool called Android, which isn't object-based, so
                          > I don't recommend it.
                          >
                          > -Danny

                        • chrs_mcmhn
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
                            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Danny R. Faught" <faught@...> wrote:

                            > I have written a "monkey test" for one of my clients that randomly
                            > clicks on their application until it crashes. It found several bugs,
                            > though they tend to be difficult to reproduce. It's based on a monkey
                            > test script I found on a web site, and it relies on Win32::GuiTest. I
                            > ought to write a paper about it some day.

                            Would that be the monkey-test script that I posted on the
                            agile-testing wiki http://www.agilistas.org/agile/MonkeyTestingWindows
                            and perlmonks http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=357341 and
                            mentioned on the list itself
                            http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-testing/message/5427 a couple
                            of years ago?
                          • enrico_1969
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                              Thanks for the info.

                              Enrique

                              wrote:

                              > >Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would
                              like to
                              > >automate the key pressing in some
                              > >programs for these operating systems.
                              >
                              > You can use AppleScript for GUI automation on OS X. I was
                              impressed with
                              > how much automation is built in to the OS. I could have used a
                              Perl
                              > module to bridge to AppleScript, but I decided that because of the
                              > skimpy documentation (isn't it always?) for both AppleScript and
                              the
                              > Perl module that sits on top of it, it would be best to learn the
                              native
                              > AppleScript first.
                              >
                              > I managed to use AppleScript to script several repetitive tasks in
                              my
                              > client's Mac application (which has no explicit scripting support)
                              and
                              > caused numerous crashes, many of them reproducible. But when I
                              tried to
                              > implement a random monkey test, I never quite figured out how to
                              do it.

                              > Linux has something like an X11::Guitest perl module. I haven't
                              tried
                              > it. There's also a tool called Android, which isn't object-based,
                              so
                              > I don't recommend it.
                              >
                              > -Danny

                            • Rajeev Srivastava
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                                Hi, I have started perl GUI test few days ago and I am very happy with the initial API which I am using.For demo purpose I have developed script for calculator testing. I am Planning for presentation in my comp after doig some more projects and real work.

                                Regards
                                Rajeev

                              • Eric
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                                  I'm currently using it for automating our installation program
                                  tests. We have a big, and stupid, paper checklist of stuff we have
                                  to do to make sure our dialog boxes are still working. I'm killing
                                  that with Perl. It's actually growing to become a decent-sized suite
                                  using the other Perl testing libraries.

                                  I'd rather use Ruby - but the Ruby windows automation project isn't
                                  finished yet and I really don't have the time to put into helping out
                                  with that.

                                  --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi,
                                  >
                                  > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
                                  > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more
                                  than
                                  > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
                                  > worked on it very little.
                                  > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
                                  most of my
                                  > work is done on Linux.
                                  >
                                  > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
                                  > people are using it.
                                  > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
                                  > module out there?
                                  > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
                                  >
                                  > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
                                  > GUI, what other
                                  > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
                                  >
                                  > Gabor

                                • kpqt01
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006

                                    I am using Win32::GuiTest (the only automation tool :) ) to test our
                                    company's vsC++ application. I found this tool about 5 months ago and
                                    loving it. From basic control to advance control, I able to write
                                    mall test scripts as well as building an over all regression GUI test.
                                    This tool really give me the feeling that I know what I'm coding and
                                    in control.

                                    Thanks for the great tool.

                                    --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi,
                                    >
                                    > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
                                    > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more than
                                    > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
                                    > worked on it very little.
                                    > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
                                    most of my
                                    > work is done on Linux.
                                    >
                                    > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
                                    > people are using it.
                                    > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
                                    > module out there?
                                    > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
                                    >
                                    > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
                                    > GUI, what other
                                    > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
                                    >
                                    > Gabor

                                  • Anand, Vaitheeswaran (IE10)
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006

                                      I used initially and made my team also to use it. Right now I moved to
                                      another role so not doing much with it.

                                      I would suggest that if possible please share the class room material
                                      for your classes so more and more QA professionals will be benefited.

                                      Thanks for your good work.

                                      V Anand

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 16, 2006
                                        On 11/15/06, Anand, Vaitheeswaran (IE10)
                                        <Anand.Vaitheeswaran@...> wrote:

                                        > I would suggest that if possible please share the class room material
                                        > for your classes so more and more QA professionals will be benefited.

                                        Though this is not the latest version, you can find the slides and the examples
                                        here: http://www.szabgab.com/perl_in_test_automation.html

                                        Gabor
                                        ps.
                                        Invitations for live training classes are welcome
                                      • Danny R. Faught
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 19, 2006
                                          > 1f. Re: Are you using Win32::GuiTest?
                                          > Posted by: "chrs_mcmhn" christopher.mcmahon@... chrs_mcmhn
                                          > Would that be the monkey-test script that I posted on the
                                          > agile-testing wiki http://www.agilistas.org/agile/MonkeyTestingWindows
                                          > and perlmonks http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=357341 and
                                          > mentioned on the list itself
                                          > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-testing/message/5427 a couple
                                          > of years ago?

                                          Yes, that looks like it - Google found it for me on perlmonks.org. Thanks! I did a good deal of tweaking to make it more robust and to customize it to dismiss the various dialogs that the particular application might pop up. It's difficult to make even a simple monkey test robust.
                                          --
                                          Danny R. Faught
                                          Tejas Software Consulting