Are you using Win32::GuiTest?

  • Gabor Szabo
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 12, 2006

      during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
      things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more than
      2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
      worked on it very little.
      On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as most of my
      work is done on Linux.

      I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
      people are using it.
      I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
      module out there?
      If you are using it, what are you doing with it?

      If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
      GUI, what other
      tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?

      Gabor
    • Enrique Nell
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
        Hi

        It's a great module.
        I have used it to automate some tasks in applications for which I don't have
        COM access to the object model
        (i.e., can't do the job using Win32::OLE) nor a macro language, or to assign
        to a single key the action of pressing
        several keys sequentially.
        As an example, a colleague of mine had to export every two weeks more than
        130 password-protected databases
        of a specific kind. He didn't have access to the SDK and the object model
        was only partially exposed through VS
        Object Browser. To export them manually, he had to open every database in
        the host application, select some
        menus and options (some 15 clicks) and export them. This was a time- and
        nerve-consuming task.
        So I used Win32::GuiTest to simulate a user with quick fingers and lots of
        patience to create automatically the
        database exports, and it worked fine (and a lot faster than the human-based
        procedure).

        Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would like to
        automate the key pressing in some
        programs for these operating systems.

        Best regards
        Enrique

        _____

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
          Hi Gabor,
          This is a very good post and a good question, which may stimulate the
          discussion on what is going to be a future of Win32::GuiTest.
          I am using Win32::GuiTest in real life in automation of tests of
          application written in VC++.

          I see the followin factors which will have a serious impact on
          Win32::GuiTest popularity:
          1. Win32::GuiTest usefulness - it depends on the tool itself. For my
          purposes it is sufficient and I am really happy, with features it
          gives me. Despite the fact that it misses some basic functions for
          data setting/getting for important, well known controls, there are
          workarounds. Moreover, I have observed, that it is safer to set
          controls values simulating key strokes and mouse clicks, since they
          generate all side effects, generated during human interaction.

          2. Popularity of VC++.
          Win32::GuiTest is best suited for automating programs written in VC++
          or VB. It has limited use for java and web browsers based
          applications. It also may have some problems with .net apps (I have no
          practical experience in this area). I believe population of
          applications written in VC++ will decrease. There still would be quite
          a few of them, but I expect that almost none of new projects will
          choose VC++ as their development language. VC++ will play the same
          role as cobol played 20 years ago - there will be a high demand for
          developers knowning it, but no company will decide to choose it as a
          language for developing something from scratch. At least in the area
          of business applications. In system programming C, C++ and VC++ will
          probably be indispensible for a very, very long time.
          If it occurs that there is no way of making Win32::GuiTest a viable
          option of dealing with .net applications, Win32::GuiTest future will
          be tightly bound with the future of VC++ and Win32 api programming.

          I may be wrong, as most IT related predictions are.

          It would be good to hear voices from people using it in real life test
          automation.
          In the most recent version of Win32::GuiTest documentation I have
          added some encouragement to share experience. This sharing may be
          beneficial for all of us.

          --Piotr

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
          > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more than
          > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
          > worked on it very little.
          > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
          most of my
          > work is done on Linux.
          >
          > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
          > people are using it.
          > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
          > module out there?
          > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
          >
          > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
          > GUI, what other
          > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
          >
          > Gabor

        • chrs_mcmhn
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
            > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
            > GUI, what other
            > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?

            I use it occasionally in conjunction with Watir to handle popup
            windows. I still think Perl Win32::GuiTest is the best solution for
            them, although the Watir people are making improvements to that.

            Also, we are very slowly porting it to Ruby:
            http://rubyforge.org/projects/guitest/
          • brentje
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
              I've been lurking lately due to health issues, but I am in the middle
              of creating a package for testing the software we develop at work.
              Mind you, it is a .Net program, and Win32::GUITest was not made for
              .Net but I'm the stubborn type. I've had to create a lot of pure Perl
              calls using SendMessage, which I'd be happy to give to the project, to
              get the information that I needed. For the most part, it works. It's
              a little memory intensive, but I think that's more because of my
              design and my lack of understand how to streamline Perl code. Some
              things I can't do yet (want to know that check status of a .Net
              checkbox? False. Always false.), but I've come up with workarounds.
              By the time I have the majority of the test scripts written, I hope
              to have the following functionally:

              Screenshots using Win32::Screenshot (dibSect just wasn't enough)

              Logging with Log4Perl

              A function that searches for a field by it label, and for a field by
              it's X/Y coordinates.

              Get and Set functions to use the info from the field search.

              A rough way of handling .Net main and popup menus.

              A revised SendKeys function that ignores the special characters (try
              using GUITest to enter (this) into a text field, brackets and all).

              Some sort of OCR or something to read values from a report that the
              .Net application generates.

              Verifying DB entries.

              Get and Set functions for the following:

              Treeview (problem I had with this has been fixed though)
              Listbox
              Combobox
              DateTimePicker
              MonthCal (WEEEEEE! That was a fun one...)
              More to come here as needed...

              As well, various functions for simplifying getting control
              coordinates, clicking controls, clearing controls, moving the mouse in
              a more human like fashion, date manulation functions, clearing fields,
              and a few DB related functions. I know some of this are really tied
              to my program and can't be included in GUITest, and some functions are
              .Net only. But yes, I am using it and it has been responsible for
              finding bugs that I've personally overlooked. As a regression testing
              suite, it's incomplete but still useful. Hope to see more progress in
              the years to come.

              Brent

              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
              > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more than
              > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
              > worked on it very little.
              > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
              most of my
              > work is done on Linux.
              >
              > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
              > people are using it.
              > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
              > module out there?
              > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
              >
              > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
              > GUI, what other
              > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
              >
              > Gabor

            • y_s_geo
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006

                > > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
                > > GUI, what other
                > > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
                > >
                > > Gabor

                We are using Compuware's QARun , which is not supported anymore , but
                still works for 90% of all GUI application in our company.
                I have implemented a small code snippet using SendKeys func and
                recognizing several Windows in order just to minimize them ; )

                The next move will be to start closing / killing crashed applications
                by just recognizing the crashed dialogboxes and / or windows

                Yet I assume, that the possibilities of this module are allmost
                endless if you could combine the glueness of perl + other profecional
                WinGUI test automation tool and / or java GUI automation tool ...
              • Earthlink-m_ryan
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
                  Gabor wrote:

                  >I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the module out there? If you are using it, what are you doing with it?

                  I use the Win32::GuiTest module to interact with the MLS database in Northern Virginia. I have found no other way to negotiate the website and use the Javascript actions on the pages necessary to retrieve the data I need for my website.
                  I control an instance of IExplorer in order to navigate through seven pages to export a search result from listings available on the real estate website. This program runs from task manager once every two hours and is a life saver for updating my database.

                  I get occasional mistakes with SendKeys but not so bad as to make me turn my back on the module.

                  Matthew Ryan
                  703-642-2651
                  Administrator/Realtor
                  RE/MAX CitySide
                  7700 Little River Tpke #305
                  Annandale, VA 22003

                  http://www.ListingMap.net

                  *We will never share your email with anyone without your consent.
                  *reply with the word 'remove' in the subject line to stop receiving emails from us.

                • Danny R. Faught
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
                    I have written a "monkey test" for one of my clients that randomly
                    clicks on their application until it crashes. It found several bugs,
                    though they tend to be difficult to reproduce. It's based on a monkey
                    test script I found on a web site, and it relies on Win32::GuiTest. I
                    ought to write a paper about it some day.

                    I haven't had the opportunity to do reliability testing for that client
                    lately, so I haven't used the GuiTest module for six months+.

                    I do see a lot of interest from testers in having a free GUI test tool,
                    but most them are not programmers and really want something like with
                    the features and robustness of WinRunner, which we're a long way from.

                    -Danny
                  • Amit Dixit
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006

                      In our company we have test automation framework for
                      UI testing we are using Wub32::GuiTest and so far its
                      rocking:-).

                      Thanks,

                      Amit

                      --- Gabor Szabo <szabgab@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" -
                      > among many other
                      > things - I have been teaching how to use
                      > Win32::GuiTest for more than
                      > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module
                      > though I have
                      > worked on it very little.
                      > On the other habd I have never needed it in real
                      > life projects as most of my
                      > work is done on Linux.
                      >
                      > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I
                      > wonder if you
                      > people are using it.
                      > I very much would like to know if there are real
                      > life uses of the
                      > module out there?
                      > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
                      >
                      > If you are using other things to automate
                      > interaction with Windows
                      > GUI, what other
                      > tools are you using? What kind of things are you
                      > doing with that?
                      >
                      > Gabor

                    • Shanmuhanathan T
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 13, 2006
                        on a related note, I have also used windows script/WSH to acheive the
                        same ends...

                        On 11/14/06, Danny R. Faught <faught@...> wrote:

                        > I have written a "monkey test" for one of my clients that randomly
                        > clicks on their application until it crashes. It found several bugs,
                        > though they tend to be difficult to reproduce. It's based on a monkey
                        > test script I found on a web site, and it relies on Win32::GuiTest. I
                        > ought to write a paper about it some day.
                        >
                        > I haven't had the opportunity to do reliability testing for that client
                        > lately, so I haven't used the GuiTest module for six months+.
                        >
                        > I do see a lot of interest from testers in having a free GUI test tool,
                        > but most them are not programmers and really want something like with
                        > the features and robustness of WinRunner, which we're a long way from.
                        >
                        > -Danny

                      • Danny R. Faught
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
                          >Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would like to
                          >automate the key pressing in some
                          >programs for these operating systems.

                          You can use AppleScript for GUI automation on OS X. I was impressed with
                          how much automation is built in to the OS. I could have used a Perl
                          module to bridge to AppleScript, but I decided that because of the
                          skimpy documentation (isn't it always?) for both AppleScript and the
                          Perl module that sits on top of it, it would be best to learn the native
                          AppleScript first.

                          I managed to use AppleScript to script several repetitive tasks in my
                          client's Mac application (which has no explicit scripting support) and
                          caused numerous crashes, many of them reproducible. But when I tried to
                          implement a random monkey test, I never quite figured out how to do it.

                          Linux has something like an X11::Guitest perl module. I haven't tried
                          it. There's also a tool called Android, which isn't object-based, so
                          I don't recommend it.

                          -Danny
                        • chrs_mcmhn
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
                            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Danny R. Faught" <faught@...> wrote:

                            > >Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would
                            like to
                            > >automate the key pressing in some
                            > >programs for these operating systems.
                            >
                            > You can use AppleScript for GUI automation on OS X. I was impressed
                            with
                            > how much automation is built in to the OS. I could have used a Perl
                            > module to bridge to AppleScript, but I decided that because of the
                            > skimpy documentation (isn't it always?) for both AppleScript and the
                            > Perl module that sits on top of it, it would be best to learn the native
                            > AppleScript first.
                            >
                            > I managed to use AppleScript to script several repetitive tasks in my
                            > client's Mac application (which has no explicit scripting support) and
                            > caused numerous crashes, many of them reproducible. But when I tried to
                            > implement a random monkey test, I never quite figured out how to do it.
                            >
                            > Linux has something like an X11::Guitest perl module. I haven't tried
                            > it. There's also a tool called Android, which isn't object-based, so
                            > I don't recommend it.
                            >
                            > -Danny

                          • chrs_mcmhn
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
                              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Danny R. Faught" <faught@...> wrote:

                              > I have written a "monkey test" for one of my clients that randomly
                              > clicks on their application until it crashes. It found several bugs,
                              > though they tend to be difficult to reproduce. It's based on a monkey
                              > test script I found on a web site, and it relies on Win32::GuiTest. I
                              > ought to write a paper about it some day.

                              Would that be the monkey-test script that I posted on the
                              agile-testing wiki http://www.agilistas.org/agile/MonkeyTestingWindows
                              and perlmonks http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=357341 and
                              mentioned on the list itself
                              http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-testing/message/5427 a couple
                              of years ago?
                            • enrico_1969
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                                Thanks for the info.

                                Enrique

                                wrote:

                                > >Are there any similar Perl modules for Linux and Mac OSX? I would
                                like to
                                > >automate the key pressing in some
                                > >programs for these operating systems.
                                >
                                > You can use AppleScript for GUI automation on OS X. I was
                                impressed with
                                > how much automation is built in to the OS. I could have used a
                                Perl
                                > module to bridge to AppleScript, but I decided that because of the
                                > skimpy documentation (isn't it always?) for both AppleScript and
                                the
                                > Perl module that sits on top of it, it would be best to learn the
                                native
                                > AppleScript first.
                                >
                                > I managed to use AppleScript to script several repetitive tasks in
                                my
                                > client's Mac application (which has no explicit scripting support)
                                and
                                > caused numerous crashes, many of them reproducible. But when I
                                tried to
                                > implement a random monkey test, I never quite figured out how to
                                do it.

                                > Linux has something like an X11::Guitest perl module. I haven't
                                tried
                                > it. There's also a tool called Android, which isn't object-based,
                                so
                                > I don't recommend it.
                                >
                                > -Danny

                              • Rajeev Srivastava
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                                  Hi, I have started perl GUI test few days ago and I am very happy with the initial API which I am using.For demo purpose I have developed script for calculator testing. I am Planning for presentation in my comp after doig some more projects and real work.

                                  Regards
                                  Rajeev

                                • Eric
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
                                    I'm currently using it for automating our installation program
                                    tests. We have a big, and stupid, paper checklist of stuff we have
                                    to do to make sure our dialog boxes are still working. I'm killing
                                    that with Perl. It's actually growing to become a decent-sized suite
                                    using the other Perl testing libraries.

                                    I'd rather use Ruby - but the Ruby windows automation project isn't
                                    finished yet and I really don't have the time to put into helping out
                                    with that.

                                    --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi,
                                    >
                                    > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
                                    > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more
                                    than
                                    > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
                                    > worked on it very little.
                                    > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
                                    most of my
                                    > work is done on Linux.
                                    >
                                    > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
                                    > people are using it.
                                    > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
                                    > module out there?
                                    > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
                                    >
                                    > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
                                    > GUI, what other
                                    > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
                                    >
                                    > Gabor

                                  • kpqt01
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006

                                      I am using Win32::GuiTest (the only automation tool :) ) to test our
                                      company's vsC++ application. I found this tool about 5 months ago and
                                      loving it. From basic control to advance control, I able to write
                                      mall test scripts as well as building an over all regression GUI test.
                                      This tool really give me the feeling that I know what I'm coding and
                                      in control.

                                      Thanks for the great tool.

                                      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Szabo" <szabgab@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi,
                                      >
                                      > during my classes "Perl for QA professionals" - among many other
                                      > things - I have been teaching how to use Win32::GuiTest for more than
                                      > 2 years now. I am also a "maintainer" of the module though I have
                                      > worked on it very little.
                                      > On the other habd I have never needed it in real life projects as
                                      most of my
                                      > work is done on Linux.
                                      >
                                      > I also see very low traffic on the mailing list so I wonder if you
                                      > people are using it.
                                      > I very much would like to know if there are real life uses of the
                                      > module out there?
                                      > If you are using it, what are you doing with it?
                                      >
                                      > If you are using other things to automate interaction with Windows
                                      > GUI, what other
                                      > tools are you using? What kind of things are you doing with that?
                                      >
                                      > Gabor

                                    • Anand, Vaitheeswaran (IE10)
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006

                                        I used initially and made my team also to use it. Right now I moved to
                                        another role so not doing much with it.

                                        I would suggest that if possible please share the class room material
                                        for your classes so more and more QA professionals will be benefited.

                                        Thanks for your good work.

                                        V Anand

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 16, 2006
                                          On 11/15/06, Anand, Vaitheeswaran (IE10)
                                          <Anand.Vaitheeswaran@...> wrote:

                                          > I would suggest that if possible please share the class room material
                                          > for your classes so more and more QA professionals will be benefited.

                                          Though this is not the latest version, you can find the slides and the examples
                                          here: http://www.szabgab.com/perl_in_test_automation.html

                                          Gabor
                                          ps.
                                          Invitations for live training classes are welcome
                                        • Danny R. Faught
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 19, 2006
                                            > 1f. Re: Are you using Win32::GuiTest?
                                            > Posted by: "chrs_mcmhn" christopher.mcmahon@... chrs_mcmhn
                                            > Would that be the monkey-test script that I posted on the
                                            > agile-testing wiki http://www.agilistas.org/agile/MonkeyTestingWindows
                                            > and perlmonks http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=357341 and
                                            > mentioned on the list itself
                                            > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-testing/message/5427 a couple
                                            > of years ago?

                                            Yes, that looks like it - Google found it for me on perlmonks.org. Thanks! I did a good deal of tweaking to make it more robust and to customize it to dismiss the various dialogs that the particular application might pop up. It's difficult to make even a simple monkey test robust.
                                            --
                                            Danny R. Faught
                                            Tejas Software Consulting